Old 02-06-2008, 06:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Which end of seed goes into ground first?

Kinda dumb question, but with large seeds such as zucchinis, does it make a
difference which end goes in the ground first? I know the plant will correct
itself, but was wondering if it could be helped along by putting the 'right'
end in the ground.
--
Wilson N45 W67
Old 02-06-2008, 06:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ed Ed is offline

On 02/06/08 18:34, Wilson wrote:
Kinda dumb question, but with large seeds such as zucchinis, does it
make a difference which end goes in the ground first? I know the plant
will correct itself, but was wondering if it could be helped along by
putting the 'right' end in the ground.

The seeds are kinda oval shaped... So stick em in pointy end down..
Don't lay em flat.

Ed

Old 02-06-2008, 08:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Wilson wrote:
Kinda dumb question, but with large seeds such as zucchinis, does it
make a difference which end goes in the ground first? I know the
plant will correct itself, but was wondering if it could be helped
along by putting the 'right' end in the ground.

I'm a seed dropper from an upright position & get almost a perfect
stand every time. There is no way that those care which end is up!!

Tom J

Old 02-06-2008, 09:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 13:34:45 -0400, Wilson wrote:

Kinda dumb question, but with large seeds such as zucchinis, does it make a
difference which end goes in the ground first? I know the plant will correct
itself, but was wondering if it could be helped along by putting the 'right'
end in the ground.

Seeds respond to geotropism. The roots go down and the plant goes up
regardless of how you put the seeds in.
--
Susan N.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:53 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Kinda dumb question, but with large seeds such as zucchinis, does it make a
difference which end goes in the ground first? I know the plant will correct
itself, but was wondering if it could be helped along by putting the 'right'
end in the ground.
--
Wilson N45 W67
I was taught to put them in on their edges.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 13:34:45 -0400, Wilson wrote:

:Kinda dumb question, but with large seeds such as zucchinis, does it make a
:difference which end goes in the ground first? I know the plant will correct
:itself, but was wondering if it could be helped along by putting the 'right'
:end in the ground.

It probably doesn't matter a whole lot but it's always seemed to me that
you should shove the seeds into the ground leading by the end that the
root comes out of. If you don't know which end that is, put a few seeds
between wet paper towels and between a couple of saucers and in a few
days you will find out!

Dan
Old 05-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Registered User

It doesn't matter at all. Like The cook said, 'Seeds respond to geotropism'
That means they respond to gravity basically.

The roots grow towards gravity, it doesn't matter what way the seed is put in the ground.

If you want success with courgettes its better to plant the seed in a small container with compost and manure and then transplant the the seedling into the ground.

Hope that's helpful.
g.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
JC JC is offline

"Dan Musicant" wrote in message
On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 13:34:45 -0400, Wilson wrote:

:Kinda dumb question, but with large seeds such as zucchinis, does it make
:difference which end goes in the ground first? I know the plant will
correct
:itself, but was wondering if it could be helped along by putting the
'right'
:end in the ground.

It probably doesn't matter a whole lot but it's always seemed to me that
you should shove the seeds into the ground leading by the end that the
root comes out of. If you don't know which end that is, put a few seeds
between wet paper towels and between a couple of saucers and in a few
days you will find out!

Dan

I really hate it when my crops grow upside down.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

JC wrote:

I really hate it when my crops grow upside down.

Why? I find it much easier to harvest carrors and potatoes when they
grow upside down!
Old 06-06-2008, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
JC JC is offline

"Peter Pie Eater" wrote in message
JC wrote:

I really hate it when my crops grow upside down.

Why? I find it much easier to harvest carrors and potatoes when they grow
upside down!

Yeah, IF you get to them before the rabbits.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

JC wrote:

I really hate it when my crops grow upside down.

Why? I find it much easier to harvest carrors and potatoes when they grow
upside down!

That's fine, but the spinach is horrible that way.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 6, 4:42 pm, "JC" wrote:

Yeah, IF you get to them before the rabbits.

Ah well.. otherwise you are having stuffed rabbit..
Old 27-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Registered User

It apparently doesn't amount a accomplished lot but it's consistently seemed to me that you should boost the seeds into the arena arch by the end that the basis comes out of.
Hydroponics System