GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cataloupe Question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/175442-cataloupe-question.html)

Onyx 02-06-2008 06:39 PM

Cataloupe Question

I planted two cataloupes (from transplant) this year. One has stalled in
growth and still quite green (must not have composted that side of the
garden well enough) and the other is sending out runners and has many
blossoms. Yippie for me. My question comes in on determining which of the
cataloupe blossoms are male and female. I check every day but I only seem
to find male blossoms (blossoms on short stalks). Is there a time in the
developement of this plant that signals when the female blossoms will
appear? Could it be that this cataloupe will only produce male blossoms?
Much like my zucchini I plan to hand polinate the melons if I can
distinguish the blossoms. Thanks for the assistance and wish some luck my
way.

Peace,

Pete

[email protected] 03-06-2008 02:07 PM

Cataloupe Question

It is normal for male blossoms to to appear a week or so before the
first females. It varies somewhat with variety. The females will be
sitting on an easily recognizable baby cantaloupe. All vines will in
time produce both male and female blossoms.