Old 05-06-2008, 02:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tomatoes curling up like corkscrews

I've seen this sort of strange growth on tomatoes before. I read a line
or two in a book that seemed to suggest tangentally that over
fertilization of some kind might be responsible for this. However, I
want some confirmation because it was very anecdotal.

I have 6 Early Girl tomato plants growing where I usually have very good
luck. They are planted in soil that was mixed with a considerable amount
of my own compost do a depth of nearly 2 feet. However, the plants
aren't doing terribly well, the the corkscrew-like twisting has me
wondering if I did something wrong. Does anyone know what causes this
unusual growth pattern? I don't usually get it.

Dan
Old 05-06-2008, 04:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 4, 6:52�pm, Dan Musicant ) wrote:
I've seen this sort of strange growth on tomatoes before. I read a line
or two in a book that seemed to suggest tangentally that over
fertilization of some kind might be responsible for this. However, I
want some confirmation because it was very anecdotal.

I have 6 Early Girl tomato plants growing where I usually have very good
luck. They are planted in soil that was mixed with a considerable amount
of my own compost do a depth of nearly 2 feet. However, the plants
aren't doing terribly well, the the corkscrew-like twisting has me
wondering if I did something wrong. Does anyone know what causes this
unusual growth pattern? I don't usually get it.

Dan

Is it the stems that are curling up, or the leaves?
Old 05-06-2008, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

:
: I have 6 Early Girl tomato plants growing where I usually have very good
: luck. They are planted in soil that was mixed with a considerable amount
: of my own compost do a depth of nearly 2 feet. However, the plants
: aren't doing terribly well, the the corkscrew-like twisting has me
: wondering if I did something wrong. Does anyone know what causes this
: unusual growth pattern? I don't usually get it.
:
: Dan
:
:Is it the stems that are curling up, or the leaves?

It's the stems. I always seem to have some leaf curl too, and do this
year also (exposing the bottoms of the leaves, and it's pronounced), but
I think this is probably a different issue.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

Look on the bright side, you can stake them just by sliding a bamboo
stick down the middle of the curl!
Old 06-06-2008, 04:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 18:52:20 -0700, Dan Musicant )
wrote:

I've seen this sort of strange growth on tomatoes before. I read a line
or two in a book that seemed to suggest tangentally that over
fertilization of some kind might be responsible for this. However, I
want some confirmation because it was very anecdotal.

I have 6 Early Girl tomato plants growing where I usually have very good
luck. They are planted in soil that was mixed with a considerable amount
of my own compost do a depth of nearly 2 feet. However, the plants
aren't doing terribly well, the the corkscrew-like twisting has me
wondering if I did something wrong. Does anyone know what causes this
unusual growth pattern? I don't usually get it.

Dan

Check it out here

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/t...ver/index.html
--
Susan N.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Dan Musicant" wrote in message
I've seen this sort of strange growth on tomatoes before. I read a line
or two in a book that seemed to suggest tangentally that over
fertilization of some kind might be responsible for this. However, I
want some confirmation because it was very anecdotal.

I have 6 Early Girl tomato plants growing where I usually have very good
luck. They are planted in soil that was mixed with a considerable amount
of my own compost do a depth of nearly 2 feet. However, the plants
aren't doing terribly well, the the corkscrew-like twisting has me
wondering if I did something wrong. Does anyone know what causes this
unusual growth pattern? I don't usually get it.

Did one of your neighbors spray with a weed killer like Round-Up?

Dan

Old 07-06-2008, 04:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Marie Dodge wrote:

"Dan Musicant" wrote in message
I've seen this sort of strange growth on tomatoes before. I read a line
or two in a book that seemed to suggest tangentally that over
fertilization of some kind might be responsible for this. However, I
want some confirmation because it was very anecdotal.

I have 6 Early Girl tomato plants growing where I usually have very good
luck. They are planted in soil that was mixed with a considerable amount
of my own compost do a depth of nearly 2 feet. However, the plants
aren't doing terribly well, the the corkscrew-like twisting has me
wondering if I did something wrong. Does anyone know what causes this
unusual growth pattern? I don't usually get it.

Did one of your neighbors spray with a weed killer like Round-Up?

Dan

Sounds more like 2,4-d to me.

Bob
Old 07-06-2008, 03:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

:wrote:
:
[...]

Thanks. Good approach, and appreciated, however I don't see the
conditions here that I've experienced. Anyone know other tomato disease
sites?
Old 07-06-2008, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 22:46:06 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

:Marie Dodge wrote:
:
: "Dan Musicant" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

I don't believe I've used anything like that. The only weed control I've
used is Roundup and as I just posted, not for around a year.

Dan

Old 07-06-2008, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 21:50:27 -0500, in rec.gardens.edible you wrote:

:
:"Dan Musicant" wrote in message
.. .
: I've seen this sort of strange growth on tomatoes before. I read a line
: or two in a book that seemed to suggest tangentally that over
: fertilization of some kind might be responsible for this. However, I
: want some confirmation because it was very anecdotal.
:
: I have 6 Early Girl tomato plants growing where I usually have very good
: luck. They are planted in soil that was mixed with a considerable amount
: of my own compost do a depth of nearly 2 feet. However, the plants
: aren't doing terribly well, the the corkscrew-like twisting has me
: wondering if I did something wrong. Does anyone know what causes this
: unusual growth pattern? I don't usually get it.
:
id one of your neighbors spray with a weed killer like Round-Up?

I wouldn't know. Undoubtedly some of that in the neighborhood, and in
fact I've used Roundup a few times although not recently and it was so
long ago I believe it would have decomposed based on the Roundup label,
etc. I haven't used Roundup for around a year, I'd guess, and when I did
I was careful to target weeds.

Dan
:
:
: Dan

Old 27-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Registered User

I've apparent this array of aberrant advance on tomatoes before. I apprehend a band or two in a book that seemed to advance tangentally that over fertilization of some affectionate ability be amenable for this. However, I wish some acceptance because it was actual anecdotal.
Hydroponics System