GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Leggy Potato Halm (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/175549-leggy-potato-halm.html)

FunkyM8 05-06-2008 09:01 PM

Leggy Potato Halm

Hi
This is my first post here, so I hope you will forgive me if this answer has already been answered elsewhere.

Anyway, enough of the groveling!

The halm on my maincrop potatoes is very leggy. It stands about 2 ft tall. My first and second earlies however look great. Has anyone any idea what's going on?

Cheers
Pete

PDM 06-06-2008 07:55 AM

Leggy Potato Halm

"FunkyM8" wrote in message

Hi
This is my first post here, so I hope you will forgive me if this
answer has already been answered elsewhere.

Anyway, enough of the groveling!

The halm on my maincrop potatoes is very leggy. It stands about 2 ft
tall. My first and second earlies however look great. Has anyone any
idea what's going on?

Cheers
Pete

This can be caused by poor storage of the seed potato where the temperature
has fallen to zero or below. The other main reason for this is a virus.

PDM

FunkyM8 07-06-2008 02:38 PM

Thank you for your reply PDM

You are probably right on the virus front. All my seed was stored inside and in the same place so the frosting look unlikely. It would seem that buying "certified" seed is no sort of guarantee of quality anymore. Why am I not surprised?

Cheers
Pete