GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Growing kale in pots (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/175634-growing-kale-pots.html)

RF[_2_] 07-06-2008 08:37 PM

Growing kale in pots

Last year I grew about fifteen Lacinato or
Dinosaur kale plants in 16" pots and had a good
crop. I ate them regularly 3-4 times/week for
about 9 months.

This year I removed the plants from the pots and
it seems that the roots are only a
fraction the size of the pots - about 6-8"
diameter- suggesting that there are still lots of
nutrients in the old soil.

Last year I bought all the potting soil and now
I'm preparing to plant again and wondering if some
of the old soil could be re-used this year with
the new potting soil. Has anyone tried this before?

I now have a batch of 10 - week-old seedlings
ready for transplanting. The previous plants had
no diseases and the only bothersome things were
whitefiles and white butterflies. I live in north
California.

Comments appreciated.

Kevin Cherkauer 07-06-2008 10:01 PM

Growing kale in pots

I reuse potting soil all the time for house plants with no ill effects. I've
never tried it with food crops, though. Is kale a heavy feeder? If not, it
may work fine, especially if you are giving them plant food.

Utopia in Decay -- The future is coming to get you.
http://home.comcast.net/~kevin.cherkauer/site/

Kevin Cherkauer

Nanzi 08-06-2008 03:04 PM

Growing kale in pots

On Jun 7, 3:37 pm, RF wrote:
Last year I grew about fifteen Lacinato or
Dinosaur kale plants in 16" pots and had a good
crop. I ate them regularly 3-4 times/week for
about 9 months.

This year I removed the plants from the pots and
it seems that the roots are only a
fraction the size of the pots - about 6-8"
diameter- suggesting that there are still lots of
nutrients in the old soil.

Last year I bought all the potting soil and now
I'm preparing to plant again and wondering if some
of the old soil could be re-used this year with
the new potting soil. Has anyone tried this before?

I now have a batch of 10 - week-old seedlings
ready for transplanting. The previous plants had
no diseases and the only bothersome things were
whitefiles and white butterflies. I live in north
California.

Comments appreciated.

When I reuse potting soil I add Osmocote time released ferts to it
prior to planting. Have had good results.
Nan in DE

RF[_2_] 08-06-2008 07:50 PM

Growing kale in pots

Thanks Kevin for the info. I'm not sure what kind
of feeder kale
is classified as. I will try a few experiments,
like replacing half
the old soil.

Chris[_14_] 08-06-2008 08:28 PM

Growing kale in pots

On Jun 8, 10:04 am, Nanzi wrote:
On Jun 7, 3:37 pm, RF wrote:

[...]

I kind of do the same thing. I will mix it 50-50 with compost if I
have enough around, or with topsoil from my garden center if I have
to. I also toss in a short handful of 10-10-10.

Chris

RF[_2_] 09-06-2008 08:36 PM

Growing kale in pots

Chris wrote:
On Jun 8, 10:04 am, Nanzi wrote:

[...]

Thanks Chris - that's good to know.

RF[_2_] 10-06-2008 01:56 AM

Growing kale in pots

RF wrote:
Chris wrote:
On Jun 8, 10:04 am, Nanzi wrote:
On Jun 7, 3:37 pm, RF wrote:

[...]

I did some repotting today and found a solution to
my initial question.
I scooped out the soil from last years pots until
there were no more traces
of roots. Usually that was roughly about half the
soil. I refilled with new soil
and transplanted.

anddrewjacckson 27-05-2011 08:26 PM

I now accept a accumulation of 10 - week-old seedlings ready for transplanting. The antecedent plants had no diseases and the alone aggravating things were whitefiles and white butterflies. I reside in north California.