Old 15-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Registered User

Default Tomato fruit set

How can you tell if the tomato ovary has been pollinated when the flower drops off? I'm trying to find out if my flowers that have fallen off have been pollinated or they are suffering blossom drop. I can see a little pod where the flowers were but I've read that doesn't necessarliy mean there will be a tomato.
Old 15-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Williams View Post
How can you tell if the tomato ovary has been pollinated when the flower drops off? I'm trying to find out if my flowers that have fallen off have been pollinated or they are suffering blossom drop. I can see a little pod where the flowers were but I've read that doesn't necessarliy mean there will be a tomato.
That usually indicates set, but of course it may not hold. If the stem to the incipient tomato goes yellow, it will fail.
Old 15-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabunga View Post
That usually indicates set, but of course it may not hold. If the stem to the incipient tomato goes yellow, it will fail.
Fingers crossed, I guess time will tell...thanks!
Old 15-06-2008, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 14:10:52 +0100, A Williams
wrote:

How can you tell if the tomato ovary has been pollinated when the flower
drops off? I'm trying to find out if my flowers that have fallen off
have been pollinated or they are suffering blossom drop. I can see a
little pod where the flowers were but I've read that doesn't
necessarliy mean there will be a tomato.

Wait a few days. There is nothing that can be done now anyway. If
you are going to garden you have to be patient.
--
Susan N.

Old 16-06-2008, 04:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Usually by the time the flower drops off, there is a very small
green pebble sized tomato there. It might take a day or two of
development to spot.

If you need to know right away, then: If the flower doesn't
properly set, it will usually weaken and fall off at the calyx (sp?).
That is the small joint segment that connects the flower to the rest
of the plant branch.