GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   La Nina - Pacific Northwest - advice (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/176042-la-nina-pacific-northwest-advice.html)

Mark[_9_] 18-06-2008 02:17 PM

La Nina - Pacific Northwest - advice

I just spent a month in England - left in mid-May. I planted my
'spring' garden' before I left and my neighbour watered and took care of
it. On return - I think La Nina had her 'vengence' - tomatoes rotted,
corn not up - garden the pits (lawn was great - up to my knees).

I'm hoping to hear other stories similair to mine - I live on the
Canadian border (West Coast) next to Blaine / White Rock. Did I mess up
by not putting up clotches on the tomatoes and waiting for the corn (I
just replanted the corn - three weeks too late).I was looking at the
weather on the internet when I wa in England and it seemed OK over here -
neighbour said it 'wasn't all that bad'.

ANY feedback would be greatly appreciated. I go back to work in a week
and want to get out and try to save the garden before then. Should I be
replacing my tomatoes / peppers.... any different fertilizers given and
any suggestions on alternative vegetables I should be planting now
instead of the 'regulars'?

Again - ANY advice will be followed. I've lived here now for 30 years and
have gone through the annual cycles but last year and this year have
thrown me. I can be reached through this newsgroup and my email address
is

Brussel Sprouts, peppers, tomatoes, annual flowers are all waiting in my
'mini-greenhouse' -

Thanks for any help.

Gratefully yours,
Mark Thompson