Old 30-06-2008, 08:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Growing medicinal foods

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Yogurt and vinegar douche is the old remedy for Yeast, but garlic works
better. I've not been bothered by it for awhile but last time I did,
pigging out on garlic actually worked. I also recommended it to my best
friend last time she had a problem with it and donated 10 heads of
garlic to the cause. Fortunately, she _likes_ garlic! It worked for her
as well.

I think it would help to have an Italian boyfriend;-)

snicker

Eaten in recipes, NOT made into a douche.

Pardon for the semi-off-topic post, but one can grow garlic too. g
Like other foods, it's very medicinal.

I knew about garlic for B.P.

B.P.???

Blood pressure.

but not yeast infections. Odd though, I
would have thought that garlic and fungi would have gotten along, they
do in my kitchen )

Heh! I refrigerate garlic in a basket in the 'frige. Onions are stored
in a basket at room temp. Baskets are really good to keep stored veggies
dry and slows mold growth.

We keep both in baskets and I have started planting those that sprout.

I keep old easter baskets (the cheap ones) and just cut the handles off.

Medicinal garden foods might make an interesting thread...

Did you know that a thyme flower decoction is anti-bacterial and used as
a gargle is good for sore throats? Sorry, we weren't talking nose and
throats, were we?

Sure! We are talking medicinal uses. :-) I have two different varieties
of thyme in the herb garden so that's a good hint.

Right now, regular use of milk thistle capsules seems to be drastically
shortening the length and severity of head colds! Seriously. I'm
considering growing it since it does well in this climate.

I have trouble growing garlic. I'm probably not doing it right.
Never been able to get it to "clove" for me, but onions did ok. They
seem to like sandier soil. But, with the cost of water here, it's
cheaper for me anymore to purchase most veggies instead of trying to
grow them. :-(

I've already ordered mine for this fall. I'm using the shot-gun
approach. I'm planting several types in different spots on my north
facing hillside.

Later and thanks for the catch.

Cheers! :-)

Thanks to Jan too for the garlic website
http://www.filareefarm.com/

The lettuce garden has almost recovered from the raccoon who foraged in
the mulch. I transplanted four valerians from their germination trays to
larger pots. The potted passion fruit is four feet high and is starting
to climb an oak tree. Tomorrow I'll transplant the skullcap baikal.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 30-06-2008, 09:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Growing medicinal foods (was All my edible's are dying)

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
Jan Flora wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Garlic is useful for female yeast infections as well.

I hear cranberry juice (not punch) is best.
ŕ ta santé

No, that's for urinary tract infections, not yeast infections...

I add cranberry juice to cocktails just because I like it. :-)

[...]

Hey Om -- go look at: http://www.filareefarm.com/

Since you're down there in hot, old Texas, you need to grow garlic
varieties that will thrive in your climate. The Filaree website explains
the different types of garlic and which ones do well down south.

There's at least one big, commercial seed garlic seller in Texas. You
can probably find them on google.

Jan

Why thanks! :-)

I was just trying to grow what I bought at the grocery store. I remove
the outer covering from a head of garlic and set it in water until it
starts to sprout, then separate the cloves and plant them. I always end
up with a mild, onion-looking thing at the base...

And they never bloom.

I have a stand of wild onions and a HUGE patch of garlic chives that
re-plant themselves every year! They do well.

First off, quit stripping the paper cover and pre-sprouting them. Just
plant the individual bulbs. Don't break the clove up into bulbs until
you're ready to plant. Use lots of compost. You're in Texas, so you're
up to your eyeballs in bullshit down there -- shouldn't be hard to find
some good composted cow manure. *smile*

Okay, now go read the stuff on Filaree, figure out which "types" will
thrive in your climate, then go hit the Seed Savers site and see if they
sell what you want. They're way cheaper than Filaree. (Not to diss
Filaree, but in this economy, we have to be frugal if we aren't rich.)
Seed Savers won't tell you if they're hardnecks, softnecks, etc., so get
variety names from Filaree and look for them by name at Seed Savers.

Shipping from Filaree to you guys down there in the small states may be
cheap(er). It's expensive as hell to get them to ship to me in Alaska,
but I've done it and their stock is first rate.

Some types of garlic store well (mostly the softnecks that will grow
well down south) and some won't. Some are great for braiding into those
picturesque garlic braids, which sell like crazy for lots of money at
Farmers Markets, if you're so inclined.

Different garlic varieties are like different wine varieties. Figure out
which you like. Some are HOT. Some are mild with a long aftertaste. Some
are great for roasting. You'll crack up when you read a real garlic
nut's descriptions of the flavors.

Long live the stinking rose : )

Jan

PS: If you eat a lot of garlic all winter long, you won't get sick,
because people with germs/colds/the flu won't get close enough to breath
on you and share their germs. Works for me!
Old 30-06-2008, 09:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

I knew about garlic for B.P.

B.P.???

Blood pressure.

Ah! Sorry. :-)
Garlic is food for health in general.

but not yeast infections. Odd though, I
would have thought that garlic and fungi would have gotten along, they
do in my kitchen )

Heh! I refrigerate garlic in a basket in the 'frige. Onions are stored
in a basket at room temp. Baskets are really good to keep stored veggies
dry and slows mold growth.

We keep both in baskets and I have started planting those that sprout.

IOW, you don't use it up that quickly either. g
It's not expensive, I just prefer to use granulated garlic for most
stuff. It agrees with me better.

Garlic will sprout in the 'frige too if left too long.

The lettuce garden has almost recovered from the raccoon who foraged in
the mulch. I transplanted four valerians from their germination trays to
larger pots. The potted passion fruit is four feet high and is starting
to climb an oak tree. Tomorrow I'll transplant the skullcap baikal.

Neat! I have a passion vine too that is recovering from underwatering,
and the Purple Cone Flower (Echinacea) has re-seeded itself now for 4
years in a row. Have not tried growing Valerian. I use the caps for a
sleep aid sometimes.

I'd like to try growing hops one of these years, but do not know the
requirement.

I also have a dead mimosa tree out front and am considering leaving the
dead trunk in place and just removing the top, then "seeding" it with
some kind of mushroom mycelia. Shitake would be my preference, but
that's supposed to do best in Oak and I don't have any dead oak trees.
I may just do Pearl Oyster since that's supposed to be one of the
easiest to grow. I've managed to get it to fruit once in an unbleached
toilet paper roll after innoculating the middle of the roll with some
finely chopped stems. :-)

I should probably e-mail fungi perfecti for advice. Turkey Tail mushroom
is supposed to have anti-viral and anti-cancer properties made into a
tea.
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein
Old 30-06-2008, 09:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Growing medicinal foods and cold prevention

In article ,
Jan Flora wrote:

I was just trying to grow what I bought at the grocery store. I remove
the outer covering from a head of garlic and set it in water until it
starts to sprout, then separate the cloves and plant them. I always end
up with a mild, onion-looking thing at the base...

And they never bloom.

I have a stand of wild onions and a HUGE patch of garlic chives that
re-plant themselves every year! They do well.

First off, quit stripping the paper cover and pre-sprouting them. Just
plant the individual bulbs. Don't break the clove up into bulbs until
you're ready to plant. Use lots of compost. You're in Texas, so you're
up to your eyeballs in bullshit down there -- shouldn't be hard to find
some good composted cow manure. *smile*

giggles True dat!

Okay, now go read the stuff on Filaree, figure out which "types" will
thrive in your climate, then go hit the Seed Savers site and see if they
sell what you want. They're way cheaper than Filaree. (Not to diss
Filaree, but in this economy, we have to be frugal if we aren't rich.)

Absolootly. Might be fun to try one of the elephant varieties if I can
get them to grow.

Seed Savers won't tell you if they're hardnecks, softnecks, etc., so get
variety names from Filaree and look for them by name at Seed Savers.

Shipping from Filaree to you guys down there in the small states may be
cheap(er). It's expensive as hell to get them to ship to me in Alaska,
but I've done it and their stock is first rate.

It's expensive to ship anything to Alaska. Are you greenhousing up there?
What about growing indoors?

Some types of garlic store well (mostly the softnecks that will grow
well down south) and some won't. Some are great for braiding into those
picturesque garlic braids, which sell like crazy for lots of money at
Farmers Markets, if you're so inclined.

Those are widely available south of the border for cheap. I had one for
years by my front door, the cats finally tore it apart one day. Nearly
every little shop in Nuevo Laredo has one by the door.

Different garlic varieties are like different wine varieties. Figure out
which you like. Some are HOT. Some are mild with a long aftertaste. Some
are great for roasting. You'll crack up when you read a real garlic
nut's descriptions of the flavors.

Long live the stinking rose : )

lol Indeed!

Jan

PS: If you eat a lot of garlic all winter long, you won't get sick,
because people with germs/colds/the flu won't get close enough to breath
on you and share their germs. Works for me!

I work nights. That helps me avoid a lot of it since there are not
nearly as many people. Good handwashing practices will remove a LOT of
exposure to the cold virus. Did you know that the majority of flu' and
cold viruses are passed hand to eye? I learned that in our annual
infection control inservice. I work in health care. :-)

Thou shalt wash thy hands every time you come home from shopping! It's
not paranoid to keep a container of hand disinfectant in the car and
clean the steering wheel from time to time... Doorknobs and telephones
at work get cleaned nightly.

Old 30-06-2008, 05:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

fungi perfecti --- http://www.fungi.com/ I didn't know about them,
thanks.
for advice. Turkey Tail mushroom
is supposed to have anti-viral and anti-cancer properties made into a
tea.

I thought you were a Kombucha fan. Still looking? What is your take on
the effectiveness of Kombucha?
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Old 30-06-2008, 06:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

I also have a dead mimosa tree out front and am considering leaving the
dead trunk in place and just removing the top, then "seeding" it with
some kind of mushroom mycelia. Shitake would be my preference, but
that's supposed to do best in Oak and I don't have any dead oak trees.
I may just do Pearl Oyster since that's supposed to be one of the
easiest to grow. I've managed to get it to fruit once in an unbleached
toilet paper roll after innoculating the middle of the roll with some
finely chopped stems. :-)

I should probably e-mail

fungi perfecti ---

http://www.fungi.com/ I didn't know about them,
thanks.

They are an awesome company. I've read some of Stammet's books.

for advice. Turkey Tail mushroom
is supposed to have anti-viral and anti-cancer properties made into a
tea.

I thought you were a Kombucha fan. Still looking? What is your take on
the effectiveness of Kombucha?
--

Billy

Dad is the Kombucha grower and fan. They are not really a true
"mushroom". IMHO the brew just provides a lot of vitamins and minerals.
Sort of a tonic. I'm not convinced it's a panacea, but ymmv. Many
people swear by it as it gives them energy. I think it's the B-vitamins
it contains. :-)

I'd rather take pills...

Old 30-06-2008, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

Ps, altho' that does not stop me from researching nutritional values of
specific foods. It was one of the reasons I got interested in mushrooms.
Low in fat and calories, high in fiber and dense in nutrients. I was
specifically looking for a vitamin D source last week that did not
involve fish oil. Turns out that dried Shitakes are a VERY rich source
and I normally have them in the pantry anyway, so I powdered up a bunch
of caps again and have increased it's use as a food additive. It adds a
nice flavor to poultry, soups, etc. They are NOT high in Vitamin A like
many fish oils are which is a plus. It's easy to overdose on A which
will kill your liver big time.

This from the FungiPerfecti website:

Nutritional Value of Mushrooms

"Many myths have been spread about mushrooms. One of the most inaccurate
is that mushrooms have no nutritional value. To properly consider them
for their nutritional benefits, they must be viewed from a dried weight
perspective. And mushrooms give you maximum nutritional benefit only
upon cooking. Mushrooms are relatively high in protein, averaging about
20% of their dried mass. Further they contribute a wide range of
essential amino acids. Low in fat (between .3 and 2%) and high in fiber,
mushrooms also provide several groups of vitamins, particularly
thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, biotin, ascorbic acid and Vitamin D. For
more information on the nutritional properties of mushrooms, Paul
Stamets, founder of Fungi Perfecti, published an extensive study of 24
major nutrients in 16 mushroom species and varieties. See: Stamets, P.,
2005. łNotes on Nutritional Properties of Culinary-Medicinal Mushrooms˛,
International Journal of Medicinal Mushrooms, vol. 7: 103110."

Old 02-07-2008, 10:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
Jan Flora wrote:

[...]

Okay, now go read the stuff on Filaree, figure out which "types" will
thrive in your climate, then go hit the Seed Savers site and see if they
sell what you want. They're way cheaper than Filaree. (Not to diss
Filaree, but in this economy, we have to be frugal if we aren't rich.)

Absolootly. Might be fun to try one of the elephant varieties if I can
get them to grow.

Nichols in Oregon is a great source of elephant garlic. They're really
neat people. Google them and get on their mailing list.

Seed Savers won't tell you if they're hardnecks, softnecks, etc., so get
variety names from Filaree and look for them by name at Seed Savers.

Shipping from Filaree to you guys down there in the small states may be
cheap(er). It's expensive as hell to get them to ship to me in Alaska,
but I've done it and their stock is first rate.

It's expensive to ship anything to Alaska. Are you greenhousing up there?
What about growing indoors?

'Maters, squash, cukes, everything tender goes in the greenhouses.
Broccoli, cabbage, kale, peas all grow outside. BUT this year, we're
still having killing frosts. It's never happened before this late,
according to my SO who was born here in 1955. We had a killing frost
last night. Ice on the windshield that he had to scrape. I told him that
he gets up too early. If he'd sleep later, he wouldn't notice the ice.
We're having the coldest spring/summer ever up here. We normally get
90-100 days growing season. These frosts are trashing everyone's gardens.
And I'm worried as hell about the price of fuel trashing the national
food distribution system. Alaska has two days worth of food on our
grocery store shelves.

[...]

PS: If you eat a lot of garlic all winter long, you won't get sick,
because people with germs/colds/the flu won't get close enough to breath
on you and share their germs. Works for me!

I work nights. That helps me avoid a lot of it since there are not
nearly as many people. Good handwashing practices will remove a LOT of
exposure to the cold virus. Did you know that the majority of flu' and
cold viruses are passed hand to eye? I learned that in our annual
infection control inservice. I work in health care. :-)

Thou shalt wash thy hands every time you come home from shopping! It's
not paranoid to keep a container of hand disinfectant in the car and
clean the steering wheel from time to time... Doorknobs and telephones
at work get cleaned nightly.

I wash my hands so often that people think I have OCD. My mom was an RN.
I can't afford the downtime to be sick.

It never occurred to me to clean the steering wheel on my car. Thanks! I
do the phone, computer keyboards, doorknobs, coffee pot, light switches,
etc. all the time.

I mostly stay at home on the ranch. The SO has to go to town every day
to sit at the Old Timers Coffee Table and talk shit with the other old
farts. He brings the germs home with him. ****es me off.

When I fly down to our state capitol or to DC to talk to legislators,
many of them have hand sanitizers on their desks or in their offices
now. You can tell in Juneau, Alaska who the RN's are in the Lege. They
all have sanitizers handy, because they have to shake hands with germy
people all day long. (A staffer in Juneau told me that the Capital
Building is just one big Petri dish -- everyone has the Capital Crud by
mid-session every year. It's true.)

Jan
Old 02-07-2008, 05:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Jan Flora wrote:

Might be fun to try one of the elephant varieties if I can
get them to grow.

Nichols in Oregon is a great source of elephant garlic. They're really
neat people. Google them and get on their mailing list.

Danke!

It's expensive to ship anything to Alaska. Are you greenhousing up there?
What about growing indoors?

'Maters, squash, cukes, everything tender goes in the greenhouses.
Broccoli, cabbage, kale, peas all grow outside. BUT this year, we're
still having killing frosts. It's never happened before this late,
according to my SO who was born here in 1955. We had a killing frost
last night. Ice on the windshield that he had to scrape. I told him that
he gets up too early. If he'd sleep later, he wouldn't notice the ice.
We're having the coldest spring/summer ever up here. We normally get
90-100 days growing season. These frosts are trashing everyone's gardens.
And I'm worried as hell about the price of fuel trashing the national
food distribution system. Alaska has two days worth of food on our
grocery store shelves.

Stock up on canned goods. :-(
Climate change seems to be causing a cooling trend.
We could use more rain here tho' in the South.
The mid west is getting it all.

Thou shalt wash thy hands every time you come home from shopping! It's
not paranoid to keep a container of hand disinfectant in the car and
clean the steering wheel from time to time... Doorknobs and telephones
at work get cleaned nightly.

I wash my hands so often that people think I have OCD. My mom was an RN.
I can't afford the downtime to be sick.

Ditto.

It never occurred to me to clean the steering wheel on my car. Thanks!

Welcome. :-)

do the phone, computer keyboards, doorknobs, coffee pot, light switches,
etc. all the time.

It really does help.
Dirty hands are the #1 cause of disease. They stress that at work
constantly.

I mostly stay at home on the ranch. The SO has to go to town every day
to sit at the Old Timers Coffee Table and talk shit with the other old
farts. He brings the germs home with him. ****es me off.

Tell him to wash his hands and don't rub his eyes. g

When I fly down to our state capitol or to DC to talk to legislators,
many of them have hand sanitizers on their desks or in their offices
now. You can tell in Juneau, Alaska who the RN's are in the Lege. They
all have sanitizers handy, because they have to shake hands with germy
people all day long. (A staffer in Juneau told me that the Capital
Building is just one big Petri dish -- everyone has the Capital Crud by
mid-session every year. It's true.)

Jan

I think the banks should all (literally) do money laundering. g

Old 02-07-2008, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Jan Flora wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
Jan Flora wrote:

[...]

[...]

Born 1955 = 53 years old, "other old farts"? Your SO isn't even out of
testosterone madness yet, and you call him an old fart? Dumb, stupid,
inconsiderate maybe, old?, no way. He's still a freakin' kid.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
brevity snips

Thou shalt wash thy hands every time you come home from shopping! It's
not paranoid to keep a container of hand disinfectant in the car and
clean the steering wheel from time to time... Doorknobs and telephones
at work get cleaned nightly.
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein

Keyboards are also filthy. I read somewhere they were as germy as the toilet
seats in some office building that was tested.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Jan Flora" wrote in message

brevity snips

We normally get
90-100 days growing season. These frosts are trashing everyone's gardens.
And I'm worried as hell about the price of fuel trashing the national
food distribution system. Alaska has two days worth of food on our
grocery store shelves.

Buy a canner like I just did. Start canning your own veggies as we will be
doing from now on.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

"Jan Flora" wrote in message

brevity snips

We normally get
90-100 days growing season. These frosts are trashing everyone's gardens.
And I'm worried as hell about the price of fuel trashing the national
food distribution system. Alaska has two days worth of food on our
grocery store shelves.

Buy a canner like I just did. Start canning your own veggies as we will be
doing from now on.

Every Actual Alaskan(tm) owns a boiling bath canner and a pressure
canner. I'm canning red (sockeye) salmon tonight. And we all have root
cellars.

Jan
Old 06-07-2008, 06:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
brevity snips

Thou shalt wash thy hands every time you come home from shopping! It's
not paranoid to keep a container of hand disinfectant in the car and
clean the steering wheel from time to time... Doorknobs and telephones
at work get cleaned nightly.
--

Keyboards are also filthy. I read somewhere they were as germy as the toilet
seats in some office building that was tested.

lol Anything hands touch...

This is why those rubber "keyboard condoms" are such a good idea.
Those can be washed in hot water and soap in a sink. We use them at
work around the chemistry machines to keep accidental blood spills out
of the keyboards.

Money is also one of the most germy things around. Too bad we stopped
using silver for coinage. Silver has antibacterial activity.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

"Jan Flora" wrote in message

brevity snips

We normally get
90-100 days growing season. These frosts are trashing everyone's gardens.
And I'm worried as hell about the price of fuel trashing the national
food distribution system. Alaska has two days worth of food on our
grocery store shelves.

Buy a canner like I just did. Start canning your own veggies as we will be
doing from now on.

Good idea.

Or drying or freezing.

Alaska usually has plenty of ice. g