Old 02-07-2008, 02:35 AM posted to sci.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens.edible,rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Furmint Grape Vines Sought

I've been googling to find a location that sells furmint grape vines without
any success. If anyone knows of a vendor, please post.

Thanks,

Paul

Old 02-07-2008, 07:23 AM posted to sci.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens.edible,rec.crafts.winemaking

In article ,
"Pavel314" wrote:

I've been googling to find a location that sells furmint grape vines without
any success. If anyone knows of a vendor, please post.

Thanks,

Paul

http://www.viticlonesupplies.com/id20.htm

Don't get excited, it looks like you'll be put on a waiting list.

You might give the University of California at Davis' viticulture
department a jingle. They might have a line on it (more likely someone
who could or has imported it).

If you're planning on making a Tokaj style wine, you had best learn
about botrytis cinerea, the mold that can turn a crop of white grapes
into gold or garbage. It is botrytis cinerea (a.k.a. bunch rot) that is
responsible for Sauternes, trokenbeerenausleses, and Tokaj.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 03-07-2008, 01:57 AM posted to sci.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens.edible,rec.crafts.winemaking

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Pavel314" wrote:

I've been googling to find a location that sells furmint grape vines
without
any success. If anyone knows of a vendor, please post.

Thanks,

Paul

http://www.viticlonesupplies.com/id20.htm

Don't get excited, it looks like you'll be put on a waiting list.

You might give the University of California at Davis' viticulture
department a jingle. They might have a line on it (more likely someone
who could or has imported it).

If you're planning on making a Tokaj style wine, you had best learn
about botrytis cinerea, the mold that can turn a crop of white grapes
into gold or garbage. It is botrytis cinerea (a.k.a. bunch rot) that is
responsible for Sauternes, trokenbeerenausleses, and Tokaj.

Thanks, Billy, I wrote to them both. What I want to make is shipon, a
Slovenian white wine made from furmint grapes. (In Slovenian, the "sh" sound
is indicated by an "s" with an inverted chevron on top, but I don't have
that letter available in my email fonts.) Anyway, it used to be available
everywhere in Cleveland in the 1960's and 1970's but just isn't imported
anymore, so I thought I'd grow my own.

Paul

Old 03-07-2008, 03:43 AM posted to sci.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens.edible,rec.crafts.winemaking

In article ,
"Pavel314" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Pavel314" wrote:

[...]

Does it have a varietal flavor or is it the structure (fruitiness, mouth
feel, tannins, ect.) of the wine that you like? If it was cheap, it will
have been tank fermented (either a lined concret tank or stainless). If
the weather is anything like Germany, the wines may be 6% to 11%
alcohol. I consider that consumer friendly. What did the one you have
taste like?
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 03-07-2008, 12:24 PM posted to sci.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens.edible,rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jul 3, 2:43*am, Billy wrote:
In article ,

*"Pavel314" wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Pavel314" wrote:

[...]

Bush and Pelosi Behind Barshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KVTfcAyYGg&ref=patrick.nethttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0aEo59c7zU&feature=related

Hi, I went to the KZ Goriska Brda - Dobrovo winery in Slovenia (which
is on the border with northern Italy) a couple of years ago as part of
my honeymoon ^_^. The climate is very close to that of mid northern
Italy.

I didn't try wine from the varietal you mention unfortunately, but
tried many wines from their range. I think they are the biggest
cellar or even producer in the country and used giant stainless steel
tanks first. Subsequently they ferment in Oak barrels for the
european market and in steel tanks with oak chippings for the US
market. The guide told me that the American market seems to prefer
the taste that way.

I know none of this helps the OP much, but I thought I'd chip in

Jim

Old 03-07-2008, 03:08 PM posted to sci.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens.edible,rec.crafts.winemaking

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Pavel314" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Pavel314" wrote:

[...]

After 30 years, I remember it as having spicy tones and being very crisp,
somewhat Gewurztraminer-ish. It was my favorite of the Slovenian varieties.
I picked up some more recent descriptions on the Web:

"It has a lively, fruity, almost peppery nose with some grapey depth to it.
The palate is really lively and fresh, with an exuberant fruity, spicy
character and a hint of spritz on the bright, acidic finish. This is a very
pure, clean, minerally white that's full flavoured but zippy, and would be a
versatile food wine. "

"The specialty of the area is Sipon: the must can achieve an outstanding
content of aromatic oils and sugar, while the acids are less aggressive."

I ordered the last seven bottles of Sipon in stock at Zachys in Scarsdale,
NY, yesterday. They may be the last seven bottles in the U.S. I'll post a
review when they arrive.

Paul

Old 03-07-2008, 04:07 PM posted to sci.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens.edible,rec.crafts.winemaking

jim c wrote:
On Jul 3, 2:43 am, Billy wrote:
In article ,

"Pavel314" wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Pavel314" wrote:
[...]

I suppose a certain price point segment of the American market has
gotten used to the more intense 'raw' taste of oak chip wine.
I shudder that such an 'acquired taste' is now the preference for that
segment.

Gene
Old 03-07-2008, 06:26 PM posted to sci.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens.edible,rec.crafts.winemaking

In article ,
gene wrote:

jim c wrote:
On Jul 3, 2:43 am, Billy wrote:
In article ,

"Pavel314" wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Pavel314" wrote:
[...]

Most French and German wine sells for less than 5 euros ($7.50) or a
euro/liter at a co-op, in the country of origin. European oak barrels
cost $700 f.o.b. here in the US ($2.50/btl). Only the prestigious brands
can afford oak because otherwise if a small producer raises his/her
price by half a euro, the buyers will go to their neighbors to buy at
the old price.

Tank fermentation with oak chips isn't rare in this country either but
it is usually done with red wines. Usually, with white wines, one
doesn't want to obscure the fruit with oak. On the other hand, if the
wine doesn't have any fruit (poor fruit or practices), a little oak may
make the wine more interesting.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 04-07-2008, 06:54 AM posted to sci.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens.edible,rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jul 3, 9:08 am, "Pavel314" wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message

In article ,
"Pavel314" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Pavel314" wrote:

[...]

You could check with Cornell too but Traminette grows well here in the
Northeast and sounds very similar. It's my favorite local white.

Joe
Old 04-07-2008, 07:21 AM posted to sci.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens.edible,rec.crafts.winemaking

In article
,
Joe Sallustio wrote:

On Jul 3, 9:08 am, "Pavel314" wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message

In article ,
"Pavel314" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Pavel314" wrote:

[...]

Traminette is a European hybrid (Joannes Seyve 23.416 x
'Gewürztraminer). It will be less good than a good gewürztraminer, which
can be exceptional, with distinctive aromas of rose oil.

I suspect that furmint is more like a good pinot grigio.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Old 04-07-2008, 06:09 PM posted to sci.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens.edible,rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jul 3, 10:21*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,
*Joe Sallustio wrote:

On Jul 3, 9:08 am, "Pavel314" wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message

In article ,
"Pavel314" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message

Bush and Pelosi Behind Barshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KVTfcAyYGg&ref=patrick.nethttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0aEo59c7zU&feature=related- Hide quoted text -

Old 04-07-2008, 08:02 PM posted to sci.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens.edible,rec.crafts.winemaking

Would you care to elaborate on you post?
Chateau.pp? With a name like that, you are going to need one hell of a
good lable;-)

In article
,
pp wrote:

On Jul 3, 10:21*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,
*Joe Sallustio wrote:

On Jul 3, 9:08 am, "Pavel314" wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message

..
.

In article ,
"Pavel314" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message

u...

Old 05-07-2008, 02:39 AM posted to sci.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens.edible,rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jul 3, 3:07*pm, gene wrote:
jim c wrote:
On Jul 3, 2:43 am, Billy wrote:
In article ,

*"Pavel314" wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Pavel314" wrote:
[...]

I must admit I like really bold oak flavours and I am too philistine
to mind how it got there. I am a wine noob, I have to add...
Old 05-07-2008, 02:41 AM posted to sci.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens.edible,rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jul 3, 3:07*pm, gene wrote:
jim c wrote:
On Jul 3, 2:43 am, Billy wrote:
In article ,

*"Pavel314" wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Pavel314" wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I meant to add that the flavour of the wine was the selling
point that they felt they were fulfiling rather than the price (I did
ask). But, I can see where you are coming from I think. If the
preference is nurtured then the price point is established...
Old 05-07-2008, 03:21 AM posted to sci.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens.edible,rec.crafts.winemaking

In article
,
jim c wrote:

On Jul 3, 3:07*pm, gene wrote:
jim c wrote:
On Jul 3, 2:43 am, Billy wrote:
In article ,

*"Pavel314" wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
..
.
In article ,
"Pavel314" wrote:
[...]

Now I am confused as to what you are trying to say.
By and large, chardonnay is the only white wine fermented in oak
barrels. The Germans sometimes ferment in large oak casks in which,
because of age and lack of sufficient surface area, they leave no flavor
in the wine. It makes no since for an inexpensive wine to be fermented
in oak, especially when it is a white wine, whose selling point is its'
fruitiness.

The taste preference has probably been established since the Roman
occupation. For conspicuous consumption a Slav would probably go for a
French, German, Italian, American, or Australian wine.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars