Old 05-07-2008, 02:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tiny black specks on my Basil and Mint

I have 3 basil plants and one mint plant on my window sill. They
needed to be moved to larger pots so I went to my parents house, dug
up some dirt from their back yard, filled 3 planters and put the dirt
next to my vibrant plants, ready to transfer once I had some time.
Well I never had the time and 2 days later there were ants moving
between the new dirt and my herbs. I immediately got rid of the
backyard dirt, and had to throw away one of the basil plants. The
ants are gone but now the leaves on my herbs have these tiny black
specks on them, the plants are wilting and the base of the stems have
brown spots. Does anyone know what this is and how I can rectify the
situation? Any help is appreciated.

rookie
Old 05-07-2008, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
madloof72 wrote:

I have 3 basil plants and one mint plant on my window sill. They
needed to be moved to larger pots so I went to my parents house, dug
up some dirt from their back yard, filled 3 planters and put the dirt
next to my vibrant plants, ready to transfer once I had some time.
Well I never had the time and 2 days later there were ants moving
between the new dirt and my herbs. I immediately got rid of the
backyard dirt, and had to throw away one of the basil plants. The
ants are gone but now the leaves on my herbs have these tiny black
specks on them, the plants are wilting and the base of the stems have
brown spots. Does anyone know what this is and how I can rectify the
situation? Any help is appreciated.

rookie

Sounds like fusarium wilt. No treatment. Start over and buy from a
different nursery or get a new seed packet. Basil does wonderfully in
large pots. Heat new potting soil to 160F for 30 - 40 minutes.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 06-07-2008, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
GQ GQ is offline

Default Heating new potting soil

Billy wrote:
Heat new potting soil to 160F for 30 - 40 minutes.

This is interesting, would you care to explain this? I never heat my
potting soil. Does this kill nematodes and other unfavorable noogies?

Old 06-07-2008, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article 1215354146.430988@wblv-ip-nnrp-2,
GQ wrote:

Billy wrote:
Heat new potting soil to 160F for 30 - 40 minutes.

This is interesting, would you care to explain this? I never heat my
potting soil. Does this kill nematodes and other unfavorable noogies?

It shouldn't make any difference. I'm just trying to stop any source of
infection. Normally this is only done with soil used for germination to
combat damping off but, yes, it will sterilize the soil. That leaves
only the seed or the soil on the starter plant as a possible source of
infection, which is why I suggested a new seed packet or a new nursery,
respectively. As I said, my best results from growing basil in a 9b
region, has been in pots. Keep the bruchetta coming;o)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars