GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Returning to allotment after many years (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/176896-returning-allotment-after-many-years.html)

camerashy 15-07-2008 09:16 PM

Returning to allotment after many years

I have decided to try my hand again at my allotment, but when I visited it last month after about 8 years of doing nothing the weeds, bramble thistles and nettles were about 4 ft high.
So, firstly, I hired a strimmer to cut back as best as possible and now I am at the stage of what to do next before I hire a cultivator and turn it over.
Should I apply a general weedkiller, if so what type please, or hand dig which would be a major effort.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Dave

mw80 17-07-2008 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camerashy (Post 804054)
I have decided to try my hand again at my allotment, but when I visited it last month after about 8 years of doing nothing the weeds, bramble thistles and nettles were about 4 ft high.
So, firstly, I hired a strimmer to cut back as best as possible and now I am at the stage of what to do next before I hire a cultivator and turn it over.
Should I apply a general weedkiller, if so what type please, or hand dig which would be a major effort.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Dave

Have you considered raised beds?