Old 22-07-2008, 06:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default String Beans

This is my first season growing string beans. question: how do I know
when they are ready to be picked? Do they become too hard if I leave
them on the bush for too long?

thanks,
Simon
Old 22-07-2008, 08:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Simon wrote:

This is my first season growing string beans. question: how do I know
when they are ready to be picked? Do they become too hard if I leave
them on the bush for too long?

thanks,
Simon

They will stop producing new ones )
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 22-07-2008, 01:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Simon" wrote in message

This is my first season growing string beans. question: how do I know
when they are ready to be picked? Do they become too hard if I leave
them on the bush for too long?

Do they look like they are big enough and long and plump enough? it won't
hurt if you pick them a bit on the small side but they get coarse if they
get too old on the plant. Do they snap if you bend them because they
should. If you leave them too long you will be able to see fatter bits in
them which is the internal bean inside the pod developing so you should try
to pick them before this happens.

Old 23-07-2008, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wil Wil is offline

On Jul 22, 12:53*am, Simon wrote:
This is my first season growing string beans. *question: how do I know
when they are ready to be picked? Do they become too hard if I leave
them on the bush for too long?

thanks,
Simon

I also planted string beans, six plants in all. Three of them are
about four feet long now and it looks like they are looking for
something to climb up on. The other three seem to be much smaller and
don't seem to grow as fast although they are all in the same bed.

Anyone have an idea of why they are growing at much different rates
although I treated them all the same?

Thanks,
WIl
Old 24-07-2008, 12:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I saw that on my plants, they vary in size according to spacing/sun.
I had some spout a bit later than other (maybe soil temp, water or
how deep I buried them) , and since the later sprouting ones were
smaller, they also got worse as the season goes by because the sun was
blocked by the earlier sprouting ones! i also noticed for my pea
plants, that if there is nothing to climb on, they tend to grow
slower.

Simon

Old 17-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Registered User

I as well buried cord beans, six plants in all. Three of them are about four anxiety continued now and it looks like they are searching for something to ascend up on. The added three assume to be abundant abate and don't assume to abound as fast although they are all in the aforementioned bed.
Hydroponics