Old 27-07-2008, 05:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Still have whiteflies

"Isabella Woodhouse" wrote in message
We only had a 50' long piece that my husband said he bought two years
ago and just now got around to trying. He said it was reasonable but
does not recall the price. The product is reusable unless it gets torn
up by hail or deer I guess. He asked me to order more for the fall so
I've just started looking at prices. Johnny's has Agribon in different
weights (sorry I misspelled it in my other post). The lightweight
insect barrier is 118" x 250' for $51. It looks like lightweight
non-woven interfacing for sewing. It lets in the light and the rain,
though the heavier stuff for cold weather does block more light. No
doubt others have it too and there are other brands.

I don't think anything can guarantee that you'll never see a bad pest
like the SVB again but, for us, we finally have a really nice crop
without extraordinary effort. The pests may eventually find them, who
knows? But I've already had a better crop by the end of July than I had
in any previous entire season. And best of all, no spraying whatsoever.
I did have to let out a bumblebee today that must have gone in there
when I was pollinating them earlier. I told him there were plenty of
other flowers for him to visit other than the squash. We use ground
staples, rocks and old broken pots to hold down the fabric. And in
places where I needed to join fabric pieces (his test size was not quite
wide enough), I used my quilting gun that shoots tiny little plastic
ties (I use those instead of safety pins for my quilts).

Thank you. It's something for us to consider for next year. SVB are so bad
here most of the gardeners we know gave up on summer squash long ago.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot

Old 27-07-2008, 05:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

"Isabella Woodhouse" wrote in message
In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

OK guys, my tomatoes are still covered with whitefly and their small
green
babies that look like minute aphids. My friend, looking at them today,
said
she believes they also have spider mites. Her eyesight is better than
mine.
The NeemOil did almost nothing nor did the Seven dust or Malathion or
Bug-Be-Gone. I also sprayed the garden with 1 Tbs. Epsom Salt per
gallon
of
water and if anything, the failed peppers and infested tomatoes look
worse
today. Any suggestions to save our crops this year? The squash are
too
far
gone with millions of white fly and borers. The squash crop will be
removed
and burned tomorrow. It's impossible to get the sprays under all the
many
thousands of leaves. Suggestions anyone... other than to torch the
three
entire gardens.

While we don't usually have this happen in the gardens, I keep some
plants on my deck and they have a tendency to get whitefly when it is
especially hot and dry. To forestall this, I spray the foliage every
day with the hose after the late-afternoon watering, paying special
attention to the undersides of the leaves. That works about 70% of the
time for me. When it doesn't, I use those sticky yellow traps (like
cardboard) and those catch gazillions of whiteflies and aphids.
However, you need to situate them so that the birds cannot sit atop
them
and get stuck. I think there are pheromones for them as well.

I can really identify with your squash problems. Those squash vine
borers are really horrible. I can't tell you how many times my DH has
had to do "surgery" on the vines in the past to save them. This year,
for the first time, we put row covers over the zucchini (four different
cultivars) and they are all producing and doing well. I go out early
every morning and hand-pollinate the female flowers with a little
brush.
This is not at all difficult with squash flowers. We've never, ever
had
summer squash this nice before. We use the lightest weight 8 foot
wide
Agribond (like cloth not plastic) over a make-do lashed wood frame. We
started with tensile steel hoops but the plants were much to large and
vigorous for them. Our beds are 4 feet wide and we're smack dab in the
middle of the country.

We're going to use row covers on some fall crops as well, both to keep
out pests and extend the season. Best thing since sliced bread.

The cost of trying to grow some of our own food is more costly than we'd
pay
at the store we're finding.

So you'd rather pay a lower price to suck down pesticide residues?
Just no accounting for some peoples taste.

And just how are you avoiding sucking down pesticide residues with the
things you do buy in the store? Or do you buy nothing edible in the stores?
Are you saying you filter all your water and grow every bite of food you
eat? You raise your own pesticide free grain to bake your own bread? Do
you raise your own livestock and how do you feed them without them sucking
down pesticide residues from the commercial feeds which is transported into
their meat? What are you feeding your hens for 100% pesticide free eggs and
meat? Or your hogs and beef cattle? And knowing there are toxic chemicals
in furniture and carpets these days... are all your furnishings wood you
grew yourself to make sure it's pesticide and preservative free? If no to
any of these questions then you are both absorbing toxic chemicals as well
as sucking them in every day. Get off your high horse.

What did these row covers cost you if I may be
so bold?

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot

--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Old 27-07-2008, 05:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article
,
Billy wrote:

The cost of trying to grow some of our own food is more costly than
we'd
pay
at the store we're finding.

So you'd rather pay a lower price to suck down pesticide residues?
Just no accounting for some peoples taste.

Hit the local Farmers Markets.
Ours is every Tuesday.

Not everyone has a farmer's market close by. Ours is at least 30 miles
away. A 60 mi round trip and we learned that many of the so called
"farmers" are nothing but people buying from the big wholesalers and
re-selling it at the FMs. It's no telling where the produce originated.
Also, there is no way to know what chemicals the original farmers used on
the crops.

--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein

Old 27-07-2008, 05:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Mike" wrote in message news:LnIik.107$aA5.3@trnddc05...

"Marie Dodge" wrote in message
OK guys, my tomatoes are still covered with whitefly and their small
green
babies that look like minute aphids. My friend, looking at them today,

said
she believes they also have spider mites. Her eyesight is better than

mine.
The NeemOil did almost nothing nor did the Seven dust or Malathion or
Bug-Be-Gone. I also sprayed the garden with 1 Tbs. Epsom Salt per gallon

of
water and if anything, the failed peppers and infested tomatoes look
worse
today. Any suggestions to save our crops this year?

I found Sevin liquid concentrate 1 tablespoon per quart of water in a
spray
bottle works OK.
The spray leaves a chalky residue on the leaves that dissipates in a
couple
of weeks.

I'm real keen now on how to identify, locate, search and destroy crop
infesting parasites.
For instance I found a small worn camping out in a corn silk that would
eventually turn into a big ugly.

The first clue was some small tender leaves that had been chewed.

Sounds like corn ear worm, another very common garden pest where I live. If
you beat the CEWs, the coons, crows and deer get the corn. :-)

Old 27-07-2008, 08:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

(edited)

[...]

Dodge,
I'm sorry that you can't read English with comprehension
but that is not my problem. The statement I was responding to
was,
The cost of trying to grow some of our own food is more costly
than we'd pay at the store we're finding.

Rather labored English (almost German construction), I'll grant
you but the results was making an equivalency between financial
cost and the cost to one's personal health. I don't care if you
learn the difference or not. If you'd rather pay a lower price to
suck down pesticide residues,it is no concern of mine. As I said, there
is "Just no accounting for some peoples taste".

If you wish to feed your loved ones poison, there isn't much I can do
about it. Whatever other twisted opinions you have of my objective
statement is of no interest to me. **** off.

"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is
now subjected to contact with dangerous chemicals, from the moment of
conception until death." ~Rachel Carson, Silent Spring, 1962
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Old 27-07-2008, 11:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article
,
Billy wrote:

The cost of trying to grow some of our own food is more costly than
we'd
pay
at the store we're finding.

So you'd rather pay a lower price to suck down pesticide residues?
Just no accounting for some peoples taste.

Hit the local Farmers Markets.
Ours is every Tuesday.

Not everyone has a farmer's market close by. Ours is at least 30 miles
away. A 60 mi round trip and we learned that many of the so called
"farmers" are nothing but people buying from the big wholesalers and
re-selling it at the FMs. It's no telling where the produce originated.
Also, there is no way to know what chemicals the original farmers used on
the crops.

When gas was under $2.00 per gallon, a 60 mile trip was nothing. That's
no longer true. :-( It's not legal for farmers market sellers to sell
commercial produce! If you know of some that are doing that, you need
to report them.

I can tell by the condition of the FM produce here that it's locally
grown, plus I personally know some of the people. :-)

I've dabbled with the concept of hydroponics to save on water costs...

Old 27-07-2008, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

It's of no use. You can't prove they bought the stuff from wholesalers. Only
those claiming they're selling organic food have to show some kind of
papers. And then there is no telling if what they sell came from their own
organic farm or their friend's farm down the road who uses all kinds of
pesticides. People will find ways to get around anything. Gas here
now is running around $3.85 g.

I can tell by the condition of the FM produce here that it's locally
grown, plus I personally know some of the people. :-)

I've dabbled with the concept of hydroponics to save on water costs...

I looked into it but it's too costly.

Old 27-07-2008, 10:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message

Bullshit snip...................

"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is
now subjected to contact with dangerous chemicals, from the moment of
conception until death." ~Rachel Carson, Silent Spring, 1962
--

Exactly, so get off your high horse.

Old 29-07-2008, 10:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

[...]

You're very welcome. I can't tell you how pleasantly surprised I was to
find something that worked so well. I suspect that these types of row
covers are going to be a big help to the home gardener.

Isabella
Old 14-08-2008, 04:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Marie Dodge" writes:
OK guys, my tomatoes are still covered with whitefly and their small green
babies that look like minute aphids. My friend, looking at them today, said
she believes they also have spider mites. Her eyesight is better than mine.
The NeemOil did almost nothing nor did the Seven dust or Malathion or
Bug-Be-Gone. I also sprayed the garden with 1 Tbs. Epsom Salt per gallon of

Do you have Comfidor there? That's the chemical spray that is
recommended for whitefly here in Australia. It is one of the sprays
with low-toxicity residues. COMFIDOR

Old 16-08-2008, 04:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I wrote:

Do you have Comfidor there? That's the chemical spray that is
recommended for whitefly here in Australia. It is one of the sprays
with low-toxicity residues. COMFIDOR

The spelling is actually CONFIDOR. It's a Bayer product.

Chil(l)i con whiteflies Marco Schwarz United Kingdom 6 09-10-2007 09:52 PM
whiteflies bad in your area higgledy Edible Gardening 1 09-06-2006 03:54 AM
vinegar for whiteflies Saqib Ali Gardening 9 01-09-2003 11:02 PM
whiteflies [email protected] Roses 1 30-05-2003 07:08 PM
Gardenias, ,mold and whiteflies Louis Texas 2 18-04-2003 07:08 PM