GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   pumpkin plants producing no female flowers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/177218-pumpkin-plants-producing-no-female-flowers.html)

[email protected] 25-07-2008 01:18 PM

pumpkin plants producing no female flowers

hello,

my pumpkin patch has been producing male flowers for well over three
weeks. but not one female! i have been told to give it a few weeks,
but that time has already passed. a few years back the same thing
happened to me. the whole season went b¥ without producing 1 female
flower. whats the story?

needing a female in somerville , ma.

dennis pawlik
617-623-2722

foxglove77 31-07-2008 10:05 PM

I am having problems with my pumpins too. Both plants produced about 3 young pumpins at the beginning of growth, which were eaten by slugs. Now they seem to be producing nothing. How do you know if a flower is male or female. I have been using a paint brush in a vein hope I can produce another pumpkin.

callie 05-08-2008 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxglove77 (Post 807577)
I am having problems with my pumpins too. Both plants produced about 3 young pumpins at the beginning of growth, which were eaten by slugs. Now they seem to be producing nothing. How do you know if a flower is male or female. I have been using a paint brush in a vein hope I can produce another pumpkin.

Hi! A male flower is on the end of a slim stem & a female flower has a small ball behind it which eventually swells to form the pumpkin.