Old 25-07-2008, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wil Wil is offline

Default Green catapillars eating my basil and lettuce leaves.

Green catapillars are eating my basil and lettuce leaves. I haven't
usd any pesticides. What are they and any suggestions? I'm in DC
zone 6 I believe. I lost the link to the zone chart.

I found one green cat eating the leaves of my basil a couple of days
ago and found one eating my lettuce leaves this morning. I took them
out and put them on weeds by the fence hoping they'll eat those. lol

Thanks,
Wil
Old 25-07-2008, 10:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Wil" wrote

I found one green cat eating the leaves of my basil a couple of days
ago and found one eating my lettuce leaves this morning.

I took them
out and put them on weeds by the fence hoping they'll eat those. lol

you fool! ;(
they will multiply, get hardy
and they will find where there is good eatin!
prolly the same place you pick

Old 25-07-2008, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Wil wrote:

Green catapillars are eating my basil and lettuce leaves. I haven't
usd any pesticides. What are they and any suggestions? I'm in DC
zone 6 I believe. I lost the link to the zone chart.

I found one green cat eating the leaves of my basil a couple of days
ago and found one eating my lettuce leaves this morning. I took them
out and put them on weeds by the fence hoping they'll eat those. lol

Thanks,
Wil

Hmmm ...

I am no expert, I have found on occasion what I think is commonly called
a Cabbage Worm. http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/BugReview/cabbageworm.html
The one I found on my plants look just like the one in the link.

Like you I have never found many of them. In my tiny garden I have never
found more than ten of the big bugs in one season. I look for signs of
stripped stems. Then I start to look under the leaves of the plants
early in the morning or late at night. If I find one ... sorry no
offence ... I am not as kind to the bugs as you are, I toss the leaf the
the bug is on to the ground and smash the poor little green bug with the
heal of my right boot.

When I first saw one. I put the bug with a three foot stem with the
leaves in a five gallon bucket mesh cover. The next day all the leaves
were gone and half the stem gone. From one little bug!

If you were like me, just one bug here or there.
So I say in my unprofessional opinion -- Give the bug a boot!

If you have an infestation of the bugs, I do not know?

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 26-07-2008, 07:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Wil" wrote in message
Green catapillars are eating my basil and lettuce leaves. I haven't
usd any pesticides. What are they and any suggestions? I'm in DC
zone 6 I believe. I lost the link to the zone chart.

I found one green cat eating the leaves of my basil a couple of days
ago and found one eating my lettuce leaves this morning. I took them
out and put them on weeds by the fence hoping they'll eat those. lol

Thanks,
Wil

The best thing for grubs is BT (bacillus thuringiensus) (spelling?) also known
as dipel and probably other names. It is non toxic and specific to grubs.

David

Old 26-07-2008, 02:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wil Wil is offline

On Jul 26, 2:39*am, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
"Wil" wrote in message

Green catapillars are eating my basil and lettuce leaves. *I haven't
usd any pesticides. *What are they and any suggestions? *I'm in DC
zone 6 I believe. *I lost the link to the zone chart.

I found one green cat eating the leaves of my basil a couple of days
ago and found one eating my lettuce leaves this morning. *I took them
out and put them on weeds by the fence hoping they'll eat those. lol

Thanks,
Wil

The best thing for grubs is BT (bacillus thuringiensus) (spelling?) also known
as dipel and probably other names. *It is non toxic and specific to grubs.

David

By best for them do you mean like health food is best for human? lol

BT, is this an insecticide? Is it liquid to be sprayed on the
plants? Is it powder or grainular to be spread on the soil? Is it
toxic to human? Can I eat my vegies shortly after application? I'm
very new to all this.

Thanks,
WIl

Old 26-07-2008, 02:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wil Wil is offline

On Jul 25, 5:55*pm, "Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote:
"Wil" wrote

I found one green cat eating the leaves of my basil a couple of days
ago and found one eating my lettuce leaves this morning. *
I took them
out and put them on weeds by the fence hoping they'll eat those. lol

you fool! *;(
they will multiply, get hardy
and they will find where there is good eatin!
prolly the same place you pick *

lol I put them very very far from my garden. I just thinking that
these buggers will soon beome pretty butterflies that will come back
and polinate my gardens.

Wil
Old 26-07-2008, 02:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wil Wil is offline

On Jul 25, 5:59*pm, "Dan L." wrote:
In article
,

*Wil wrote:
[...]

non taken, to each his own. See my response to Steve Young also
please.

Wil
Old 26-07-2008, 03:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 06:01:46 -0700 (PDT), Wil
wrote:

On Jul 25, 5:55*pm, "Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote:
"Wil" wrote

I found one green cat eating the leaves of my basil a couple of days
ago and found one eating my lettuce leaves this morning. *
I took them
out and put them on weeds by the fence hoping they'll eat those. lol

you fool! *;(
they will multiply, get hardy
and they will find where there is good eatin!
prolly the same place you pick *

lol I put them very very far from my garden. I just thinking that
these buggers will soon beome pretty butterflies that will come back
and polinate my gardens.

And then lay eggs for more caterpillars.
Old 27-07-2008, 04:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Wil" wrote in message

[...]

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_thuringiensis

David