GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   REPOST: Name that grape ( ? ) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/177318-repost-name-grape.html)

MrMe 27-07-2008 07:15 PM

REPOST: Name that grape ( ? )

Originally posted Sun, 18 May 2008.

I have a grape vine and do not know what type it is. A potted
plant was given to me 5 years ago. It thrived and does well here
in Sandhills section of North Carolina. The vine bears white grapes
( green up until ripening at which time it takes on a golden blush ).
At this time (18 May 08 ) it is slam loaded with clusters of 1/4 inch
sized grapes. They ripen early, some time between late July into
early August. They ripen medium size grapes - very sweet. The
vines is very prolific, and the year before last produced a nice
fruity wine. Last year it got hit by severe frost when the new
growth was forming ( 3 - 4 inch long ) and I thought it would die,
but it did recouperate as soon as things warmed up

Not sure what else to say. If my scanner was working I'd scan a
leaf for upload. I do not have a digital camera so that is out.
Anybody have any ideas ? The fellow who gave me the plant has
no idea what variety.

TIA

= Me =

Well here it is Sunday 27 July 2008. I have just harvested the above
mentioned grapes. Not sure of the weight, but I filled one 5 gal pail
and a tub of about 8 gal. = 13 gal. worth off one vine approx 12 foot
long ( six to the left - six to the right ) trained on two wires.

I was talking with my neighbor again today and he mentioned that
they might be Niagra Grapes. The grapes are very sweet and do have
a hint of foxiness, somewhat like the Concord grapes I used to mess
with when living in MA., although a white variety. Pretty bunches ranging
from 4 - 8 inches long. Berries from 1/2 to 5/8 diameter. They take on
a yellowish hue and appear almost translucent when viewed in direct
sunlight.

Would these be Niagra grape ? What other information should/could I
provide ?

= Me =

Billy[_5_] 27-07-2008 09:03 PM

REPOST: Name that grape ( ? )

In article ,
MrMe wrote:

[...]

You need a leaf, a cluster, and an expert. There are many successful
hybrids of grapes.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars