Old 04-08-2008, 06:26 AM
Claire DC's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Manchester, UK.
Default Growing Potatoes

I'm a beginner at all this (well i have some strawberry plants that are still alive from last summer) and am looking to start growing some potatoes as I've a feeling it's a bit late in the year to start many other things.

I was told that I could grow them from unused potatoes that had started sprouting and to cut them in half and plant them like that; however I've since heard that I should only use proper potato tubers.

Could anybody let me know if I am able to just plant an ordinary potato.. and what the difference is between the 2?

Sorry for the (most probably) basic level question.. I am very new to gardening/vegetable growing so am just finding my feet. x
Old 04-08-2008, 12:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Claire DC" wrote in message

I'm a beginner at all this (well i have some strawberry plants that are
still alive from last summer) and am looking to start growing some
potatoes as I've a feeling it's a bit late in the year to start many
other things.

I was told that I could grow them from unused potatoes that had started
sprouting and to cut them in half and plant them like that; however I've
since heard that I should only use proper potato tubers.

Could anybody let me know if I am able to just plant an ordinary
potato.. and what the difference is between the 2?

Sorry for the (most probably) basic level question.. I am very new to
gardening/vegetable growing so am just finding my feet. x

You didn't say where you're located but from the email address it looks like
you're in the U.K. I'm pretty sure that it's too late for planting potatoes
in the Northern Hemisphere but here's a website that gives the basics:

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/potato.html

For more information, just google "how to grow potatoes" and you'll get
thousands of websites on the subject.

Paul

Old 04-08-2008, 04:02 PM
mor mor is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire DC View Post

l agree its rather late as potatoes is hot climate place.but that will depend on where you live. try this http://gardening-tips-idea.com/potatogardening.html
Old 04-08-2008, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ed Ed is offline

On 04/08/08 05:26, Claire DC wrote:
I'm a beginner at all this (well i have some strawberry plants that are
still alive from last summer) and am looking to start growing some
potatoes as I've a feeling it's a bit late in the year to start many
other things.

I was told that I could grow them from unused potatoes that had started
sprouting and to cut them in half and plant them like that; however I've
since heard that I should only use proper potato tubers.

Could anybody let me know if I am able to just plant an ordinary
potato.. and what the difference is between the 2?

Sorry for the (most probably) basic level question.. I am very new to
gardening/vegetable growing so am just finding my feet. x

You should always plant certified virus free seed potatoes.

At this time of year, you can still plant new potatoes which should be
ready for cropping from late Autumn until after Christmas.

Your local garden centre may have suitable varieties. Otherwise take a
look at say, www.dobies.co.uk , for seed potatoes that you can plant now.

Ed

Old 04-08-2008, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

--
Claire DC

Try trash can potatoes:
http://www.weidners.com/spud_Barrel.htm or
http://www.gardendesk.com/2008/06/po...rbage-can.html

We have a few barrels/types of them around the yard, just old potatoes, cut
up, keep them covered and don't eat green.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 05:26:45 +0100, Claire DC
wrote:

I'm a beginner at all this (well i have some strawberry plants that are
still alive from last summer) and am looking to start growing some
potatoes as I've a feeling it's a bit late in the year to start many
other things.

I was told that I could grow them from unused potatoes that had started
sprouting and to cut them in half and plant them like that; however I've
since heard that I should only use proper potato tubers.

Could anybody let me know if I am able to just plant an ordinary
potato.. and what the difference is between the 2?

I don't know about the UK, but in the states, some producers treat
with a sprout inhibitor that may make it difficult to sprout them, so
make sure you have actual sprouts first. The only thing to do is try
and see what happens. That's what gardening is all about. Cut it
into pieces with 3 or 4 viable eyes on it, plant it and see.

As someone else said, though, it's best to start with certified virus
free seed potatoes, but there really isn't anything different about
them, other than the testing and possibly the sprouting inhibitor.

Gardening means you could try some wonderful varieties that aren't
available in the stores. If you want ordinary tasteless tubers that
were selected for appearance and shipping reasons, grow the store
ones, But if you're looking for flavour, try some fingerlings, or
an heirloom red or purple, or any of the other wonderful old world
varieties.. Yummy, and you can save your own seed stock for next
year.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

For real flavour and real nutrition, grow sweet
potatoes. Other potatoes are almost totally
starch, which is basically a sugar and becomes
that when you chew the cooked potatoes. Of course,
success with the growing depends on where you live.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I have used regular Russet potatoes to grow lots for my home. I
learned by accident. My wife told me to throw out the sprouted
potatoes in the trash but instead I put them into my compost pile. The
green plants grew out and I recognized them as potatoes so I left them
alone and just watered them. When the tops died down, I dug lots of
potatoes and my wife could not believe it. I'm about to do it again.
Give it a try. It won't cost much to try. Jim in So. Calif.

Old 14-08-2008, 04:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Claire DC writes:
I was told that I could grow them from unused potatoes that had started
sprouting and to cut them in half and plant them like that; however I've
since heard that I should only use proper potato tubers.

Could anybody let me know if I am able to just plant an ordinary
potato.. and what the difference is between the 2?

Hello Claire. As others have said, it is advisable to plant seed
potatoes that are certified virus free.

However, if you plant a store-bought spud that has developed shoots
it will grow and usually do very well. I recommend that you do not
cut the potato into a few pieces, they are very prone to rotting
if you do this and by the time you realise you have to replant you
have lost some of your valuable growing season. You can plant the
seed potatoes even before frosts finish, just make sure you cover
them with 12" of loose straw to protect the shoots from frost. Even
if they do get nipped, they will immediately reshoot.

Homegrown potatoes are an ideal crop for new gardeners. They produce
results out of all proportion to the effort expended, and have a
flavour totally different from the bland supermarket potatoes. If
you see the leaves being eaten by ladybirds pick them off and
squash them underfoot. While some ladybirds are helpful, there is
a species that eats the leaves of potatoes and pumpkins.

When you see tiny green fruit developing among the leaves, don't get
excited. They are not crossbreeding with tomatoes! That's the small
potato fruit, and you definitely do not eat the fruit. Only eat the
tubers. If any tubers push up through the soil cover them immediately
with a depth of soil so they don't manufacture a poisionous green
area on the potato. Good luck!
Old 21-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel314 View Post

I'm pretty sure that it's too late for planting potatoes
in the Northern Hemisphere

Paul
I am fairly new to gardening but have been able to get seed potatoes for planting in the late summer from JBA in Scotland and I decided the Maris peer sounded nice. What kind of crop can I expect? I'm going to try growing them in a polypot as I've heard this is less prone to september frosts? The Maris Peer seem to have good blight resistance also

Old 02-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire DC View Post
I'm a beginner at all this (well i have some strawberry plants that are still alive from last summer) and am looking to start growing some potatoes as I've a feeling it's a bit late in the year to start many other things.

I was told that I could grow them from unused potatoes that had started sprouting and to cut them in half and plant them like that; however I've since heard that I should only use proper potato tubers.

Could anybody let me know if I am able to just plant an ordinary potato.. and what the difference is between the 2?

Sorry for the (most probably) basic level question.. I am very new to gardening/vegetable growing so am just finding my feet. x
If you want to know how to grow potatoes properly first you should decide on what variety of potatoe you want to grow.