Old 07-08-2008, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default tomato cuttings?

OK, there was a thread on this last year, but I'm not sure we got
closure on it.

What's the most effective way to do tomato cuttings? I took six inch
young stems off a very healthy overgrown red cherry, and stuck them
five inches deep in moist potting soil indoors with indirect light.
They looked happy for more than a week (with no growth), and finally
decided to die (with no obvious growth or new shoots). What gives? I
want a fall crop!

Rootone? Bay leaves? Water soak?

Tomatoes have all these hairs on their stems that are supposed to turn
into roots, so I've heard. Can't be that hard! Lots of people must
want to do this. Can someone point me to details on a tried and true
method? This can't be one of those things that *needs* root stimulator
to make it work.

Doug
Old 08-08-2008, 03:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
DougL wrote:

OK, there was a thread on this last year, but I'm not sure we got
closure on it.

What's the most effective way to do tomato cuttings? I took six inch
young stems off a very healthy overgrown red cherry, and stuck them
five inches deep in moist potting soil indoors with indirect light.
They looked happy for more than a week (with no growth), and finally
decided to die (with no obvious growth or new shoots). What gives? I
want a fall crop!

Rootone? Bay leaves? Water soak?

Tomatoes have all these hairs on their stems that are supposed to turn
into roots, so I've heard. Can't be that hard! Lots of people must
want to do this. Can someone point me to details on a tried and true
method? This can't be one of those things that *needs* root stimulator
to make it work.

Doug

It's not the hairs, it's the little bumps on the stems. I once turned 4
tomato plants into 40 when I worked at the community college greenhouse.
:-)

I put them in water and put them under the overhead sprayers. Planted
them when they had about 4" root systems and made sure they stayed moist
until they established.

You could try misting twice per day to get the same effect.

It's fun. :-)
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 08-08-2008, 10:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Thanks. I'll try water soaking some cuttings in a deep jar, with
misting of the greenery on top. Actually, I'll put a plastic bag over
all of it to keep the humidity in. I still have some cuttings in soil
that haven't yet up and died, and I'll start misting those as well.

I saw a newsgroup post that claimed that cuttings rooted in water
ended up with a different kind of roots than cuttings rooted in soil,
and that those former kind of roots didn't take to soil as well. But
it sounds like you all succeeded.

By the way, I pulled one of the dead stems I had in soil, and there
were delicate, half inch long roots on the end of it! So maybe I
didn't miss by much.

Doug

Old 09-08-2008, 12:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"DougL" wrote in message

By the way, I pulled one of the dead stems I had in soil, and there
were delicate, half inch long roots on the end of it! So maybe I
didn't miss by much.

Make sure the soil you're using with your cuttings is STERILE or your
cutting can rot. I start my tom cuttings in water. As soon as the roots are
1 to 2" long I pot them in a sterile starter soil and watch them closely for
wilting. I mist them or use a plastic bag. Either has worked for me.
Anything that doesn't root with the others is thrown out.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Aug 7, 2:36*pm, DougL wrote:
OK, there was a thread on this last year, but I'm not sure we got
closure on it.

What's the most effective way to do tomato cuttings? I took six inch
young stems off a very healthy overgrown red cherry, and stuck them
five inches deep in moist potting soil indoors with indirect light.
They looked happy for more than a week (with no growth), and finally
decided to die (with no obvious growth or new shoots). What gives? I
want a fall crop!

Rootone? Bay leaves? Water soak?

Tomatoes have all these hairs on their stems that are supposed to turn
into roots, so I've heard. Can't be that hard! Lots of people must
want to do this. Can someone point me to details on a tried and true
method? This can't be one of those things that *needs* root stimulator
to make it work.

Doug

I've been trying that too.

I put my clipping in a tall glass of water with a willow branch about
3 inches long.
I heard that a willow branch will help the rooting process.
It all sets in the shade outside in Oklahoma.
90F + days and 80F nights.

One of my tomatoes has lost all it's leaves but the stem is still
green and there are no roots yet.

The other one still has leaves but is going the route of the first
one.

The willow branch has green shoots about 4 inches long.

:-(
Old 10-08-2008, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In DougL writes:

What's the most effective way to do tomato cuttings?

Olivia's Cloning gel[1], planted in Grodan cubes[2], and watered daily
with Olivia's Cloning solution[3]. Works great with chile peppers, too.
My success rate is nearly 100%.

Regards,
Greg

[1] http://www.wormsway.com/detail.asp?sku=OCG300
[2] http://www.wormsway.com/detail.asp?sku=SC300#
[3] http://www.wormsway.com/detail.asp?sku=OC300
--
\|/ ___ \|/ +----- 2048R/38BD6CAB -----+
@~./'O o`\.~@ | 02BD EF81 91B3 1B33 64C2 |
Old 17-08-2008, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

OK, I'm getting warmer in my quest for seedlings from tomato cuttings.

I took a 15 gallon aquarium with a plexiglass top, and put my cuttings
in that. 78-80F, and about 100% humidity (unlike the 30-40% humidity
in the rest of the house). Spray water on the cuttings about once a
day. The inside walls of the aquarium are continually fogged.

Most of the cuttings in planting mix died (though these were all ones
that were planted pre-aquarium). A few are still looking good, ten
days later. That planting mix was not, I admit, sterile.

Stuck a bunch on cuttings six-inches deep in a bottle of sterile
water. Put those in the aquarium with the others. Those are still
looking good, a week later, but I sure don't see any roots. How long
should it take to get roots out of those tomato cuttings in water?

Geez, I didn't use distilled water. Should I have done that?

Grasping for roots here ...