Old 09-08-2008, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Can I freeze tomatoes until I have enough to can a batch?

In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 15:33:31 -0500, Omelet wrote:
In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 13:53:19 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:
Steve Young wrote:
"Omelet" wrote:

Blanch and peel first. You could also stew them and can them as a
sauce. ;-d

Even turn them into ketchup. Anyone tried their hand at this?

Every gardener should make ketchup once in their life. You take a half
a bushel of fresh tomatoes, some vinegar and salt, and a bunch of
expensive sugar and spices. Cook them down for about 6 hours (Careful!
Don't let it burn!) When you're all done, you have a pint or two of
ketchup that's almost as good as the 20 ounce bottle of store-bought
ketchup you could have bought for about $1. HTH :-)

**** that, what's the point? It's like going to the trouble of
squishing grapes, fermenting it, letting it spoil just to make vinegar.

Want vinegar? A little left over red wine, some extra sugar, and a
kombucha culture.

I've been cooking with some of the best red wine vinegar made that way
lately!

shoom.
right over your head.

Ditto babe.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 10-08-2008, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote:

"Billy" wrote

I thought catsup was only for people who didn't like food ;O)

wot!? fries or a burger without it?

Ab-so-pos-itivly-freakin'-tootly ;o)

Mustard (not French's, gag) or aioli.
Sugar covers flavor. You don't want it with good food, otherwise use as
much as you have to to survive ;o)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 10-08-2008, 01:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote:

"Billy" wrote

I thought catsup was only for people who didn't like food ;O)

wot!? fries or a burger without it?

Hard boiled eggs. ;-d

Your heartless ;o), mustard or aioli would be much better :-)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 10-08-2008, 02:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve Young wrote:
"Omelet" wrote:

[...]

Nah, 'shroom, right over your head, if you ain't sitting on it,
you may have notice that this is a group of adults. If you need a
scatological crutch for writing, you may be happier in another
news group where feral adolescents and potty mouths are more
common. Probably never heard of "balsamic" either.

Oh yeah, you raise an interesting point Om. Fresh garden tomatoes
are obviously better than those red cardboard things that are sold
commercially but I'm thinkin' that cooked romas (garden or store bought)
probably taste the same. Of course with the store bought you get the
value added of pesticide residues without the burden of additional
nutrients (bioflavonoids) that comes from plants struggling under
less than ideal environments (gardens). But all the same, my impression
is that cooking a store bought tomato improves it, perhaps even to
rivaling the REAL deal.

Any opinions?
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 10-08-2008, 05:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote:

"Billy" wrote

I thought catsup was only for people who didn't like food ;O)

wot!? fries or a burger without it?

Hard boiled eggs. ;-d

Your heartless ;o), mustard or aioli would be much better :-)

Actually, Bragg's Liquid Aminos are good on HB eggs...
I'll have to google for Aioli.

I'm not a mustard fan like mom was.

googles for Aioli

To heck with that!

PESTO!!!
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Old 10-08-2008, 05:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Oh yeah, you raise an interesting point Om. Fresh garden tomatoes
are obviously better than those red cardboard things that are sold
commercially but I'm thinkin' that cooked romas (garden or store bought)
probably taste the same.

Have you ever grown Romas? I have. The home garden ones are much richer
and sweeter. ;-d

My favorite are plum tomatoes.

Even sweet 100's can be peeled and stored. They are so small, blanch
them and pop them out of the entire skin with a gentle pinch. Not as
much work as you'd imagine.

Of course with the store bought you get the
value added of pesticide residues without the burden of additional
nutrients (bioflavonoids) that comes from plants struggling under
less than ideal environments (gardens). But all the same, my impression
is that cooking a store bought tomato improves it, perhaps even to
rivaling the REAL deal.

Any opinions?
--

Billy

See above. :-)

There never is, and probably never will be, a good comparison in flavor
between store bought and vine ripe tomatoes. The only ones that come
close are the cluster "on the vine" tomatoes that our local store sells.
They are worth the premium price, but I'd still rather hit the local
farmers market if I've none of my own on hand.

If I over-produce (which is common for tomatoes in season sometimes),
I'll just use the smaller pressure cooker and can a few in a couple of 1
pint jars.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 10-08-2008, 06:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote:

"Billy" wrote

I thought catsup was only for people who didn't like food ;O)

wot!? fries or a burger without it?

Hard boiled eggs. ;-d

Your heartless ;o), mustard or aioli would be much better :-)

Actually, Bragg's Liquid Aminos are good on HB eggs...
I'll have to google for Aioli.

I'm not a mustard fan like mom was.

Good mustard is like horse radish. It should make your eyes water
and you should feel the heat in your nose.

googles for Aioli

To heck with that!

PESTO!!!

Pesto pasta rocks, no argument here)

But what about store bought cooked vs. homegrown cooked. I can't
remember a difference like I can fresh. Can You?
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 10-08-2008, 06:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

I'm not a mustard fan like mom was.

Good mustard is like horse radish. It should make your eyes water
and you should feel the heat in your nose.

I'm not a horseradish fan either. Mom was.
I avoid Wasabi too. ;-)

googles for Aioli

To heck with that!

PESTO!!!

Pesto pasta rocks, no argument here)

But what about store bought cooked vs. homegrown cooked. I can't
remember a difference like I can fresh. Can You?
--

Billy

lol Ever made pesto using fresh basil etc.? ;-d
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 10-08-2008, 09:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

news
wrote:

Steve Young wrote:
"Omelet" wrote:

Blanch and peel first. You could also stew them and can them as a
sauce. ;-d

Even turn them into ketchup. Anyone tried their hand at this?

Every gardener should make ketchup once in their life. You take a half
a bushel of fresh tomatoes, some vinegar and salt, and a bunch of
expensive sugar and spices. Cook them down for about 6 hours (Careful!
Don't let it burn!) When you're all done, you have a pint or two of
ketchup that's almost as good as the 20 ounce bottle of store-bought
ketchup you could have bought for about $1. HTH :-)

Bob

Ain't that the truth!
We tried our hand at it one year when we had a real glut of tomatoes
but, we ended up with about 12 liters, not one or two pints. And, like
you say, it was almost as good as store bought. The real saving grace
was the fact that a couple of the grandkids liked it better than the
store bought so we were able to unload a bunch.

you lot must either have really excellent supermarket tomato sauce or really
crap recipes for making it yourself at home. I got a recipe from the guy
across the road this year & made some great tomato suace. Beats the store
bought crap hands down.

rob

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --
Old 10-08-2008, 09:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote in message
"Omelet" wrote:

Blanch and peel first. You could also stew them and can them as a
sauce. ;-d

I simpy froze a mass load of summer glut tomatos & turned them in to tomato
sauce 6 months later. The tomatos kept ok in bags in the freezer & the
tomato sauce was great. Freeze excess tomatos or turn them in to sauce.
frozen tomatos go squishy when thawed so ideal for use in a sauce, pasta or
pizza.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote:

Blanch and peel first. You could also stew them and can them as a
sauce. ;-d

I simpy froze a mass load of summer glut tomatos & turned them in to tomato
sauce 6 months later. The tomatos kept ok in bags in the freezer & the
tomato sauce was great. Freeze excess tomatos or turn them in to sauce.
frozen tomatos go squishy when thawed so ideal for use in a sauce, pasta or
pizza.

rob

No argument from me other than flavor can benefit from minimal advance
processing...
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 10-08-2008, 03:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 20:32:48 +1200, "George.com"
wrote:

news
wrote:

Steve Young wrote:
"Omelet" wrote:

[...]

I was referring to making ketchup, not tomato sauce. There's a big
difference.
We make tomato sauce every year and it most certainly is better than
store bought.
For the amount of ketchup we use, making it is worth neither the time
nor the effort.

Ross
Old 10-08-2008, 06:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

I'm not a mustard fan like mom was.

Good mustard is like horse radish. It should make your eyes water
and you should feel the heat in your nose.

I'm not a horseradish fan either. Mom was.
I avoid Wasabi too. ;-)

googles for Aioli

To heck with that!

PESTO!!!

Pesto pasta rocks, no argument here)

But what about store bought cooked vs. homegrown cooked. I can't
remember a difference like I can fresh. Can You?
--

Billy

lol Ever made pesto using fresh basil etc.? ;-d

Shirley, you're kidding. It's best if you can make it with just the
flowers. Just as good is pesto made the same way but with cilantro.
Hmmmmmmm, hmm, hmm.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 10-08-2008, 06:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote

Omelet wrote:

Billy wrote:

Pesto pasta rocks, no argument here)

But what about store bought cooked vs. homegrown cooked. I can't
remember a difference like I can fresh. Can You?

lol Ever made pesto using fresh basil etc.? ;-d

oh my, the basic start for my world famous sketti sauce

Shirley, you're kidding. It's best if you can make it with just the
flowers.

I was wondering if I could use the flowers for anything.
(was remiss and they got away from me, turns out my lucky day?

Just as good is pesto made the same way but with cilantro.
Hmmmmmmm, hmm, hmm.

I planted cilantro, doesn't mean I can claim success of growing it
but "next year" the gardener says

Old 10-08-2008, 08:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:

Billy wrote:

Pesto pasta rocks, no argument here)

But what about store bought cooked vs. homegrown cooked. I can't
remember a difference like I can fresh. Can You?

lol Ever made pesto using fresh basil etc.? ;-d

oh my, the basic start for my world famous sketti sauce

Shirley, you're kidding. It's best if you can make it with just the
flowers.

I was wondering if I could use the flowers for anything.
(was remiss and they got away from me, turns out my lucky day?

Just as good is pesto made the same way but with cilantro.
Hmmmmmmm, hmm, hmm.

I planted cilantro, doesn't mean I can claim success of growing it
but "next year" the gardener says

You may still be in luck if you haven't already dug up the bed or dumped
the pot. Parsley and cilantro usually go to seed in late spring. Took me
a couple of years to figure tat out. I'd buy a starter plant of
cilantro, take it home. Inside of three weeks it would bolt and three
weeks later, I'd have an empty pot. It would have been easier to just
give the nursery the money and avoid the hassle;o) Here in California,
they will produce all winter long. Reminds me that I should get some
seeds into the ground. If you grow them in pots, tuck the seed heads
back in the pot and they will reseed themselves. That's what I do with
my chervil. I used to grow it free range but in a pot it goes away
for a couple of months and then comes back, like it is doing now.

And TOTALLY off topic, this has been a very pleasant gardening year for
me due to iron phosphate and the havoc that it wreaks on gastropods.
Every couple of weeks I toss a hand full into a bed and I don't need to
worry about it for a couple of more weeks. The lettuce patch looks
particularly nice.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

And you thought cutting your toe off with a lawnmower was bad (enough is enough) R&V Childers Gardening 2 26-06-2003 01:44 AM
a small batch of rose pictures torgo Roses 1 14-05-2003 02:56 PM
still another batch of roses torgo Roses 26 08-04-2003 04:56 PM
Another Batch of Roses Cass Roses 24 20-03-2003 03:32 AM
Frogs... the new batch Darren Jackson Ponds 6 26-02-2003 03:15 PM