Old 17-08-2008, 07:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Can I freeze tomatoes until I have enough to can a batch?

In article ,
"George.com" wrote:

Ketchup is saturated with sugar and has some vinegar too.

anyhow, we are both talking about the same thing but by different name.
Tomato sauce/tomato ketchup. As I said, you americans must have some really
good mass produced tomato ketchup if it is better than the home made stuff.
The two recipes I have used for tomato sauce beat the mass produced stuff,
the one recipe by some distance.

rob

Actually, Heintz is quite decent. I don't eat a lot of it, but I like
that brand quite a bit when I do...

If I make a cooked down "tomato sauce" for canning or freezing, it's
generally flavored Italian style, or sometimes made into a Salsa/Picante.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 17-08-2008, 08:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 08:45:17 -0500, phorbin wrote:
In article ,
says...

Ketchup is saturated with sugar and has some vinegar too.

anyhow, we are both talking about the same thing but by different name.
Tomato sauce/tomato ketchup. As I said, you americans must have some
really
good mass produced tomato ketchup if it is better than the home made
stuff.
The two recipes I have used for tomato sauce beat the mass produced stuff,
the one recipe by some distance.

We would be if ketchup on the NA contintent didn't mean something that
resembles at least in texture if not necessarily taste, Heinz Ketchup.
--Unless you're creating something like it.

Ketchup used to mean "sauce" IIRC and could be quite varied in flavour
and ingredients. It didn't have to include tomatoes..

In the U.S. tomato sauce is basically nothing but tomato purried and
cooked down. It might have a very small amount of sweetener, but it
is very little and only added to make up for poor quality tomato.

If you substituted ketchup for any recipe that calls for tomato sauce,
you're going to have a discusting meal that can only be tossed in the
trash.

Agreed... altho' the starving college student handbook has a recipe for
cream of tomato soup made from the free condiments you can get at most
fast food places. ;-)

Involves a cup of hot water, ketchup and coffee creamer packets.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 17-08-2008, 09:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

[...]

Ps, I tried it just for grins one time at work...

and it works!
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 17-08-2008, 04:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 03:10:16 -0500, Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

[...]

I once made spanish rice using ketchup. I can recall few grosser
concoctions.

Old 17-08-2008, 04:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

If you substituted ketchup for any recipe that calls for tomato sauce,
you're going to have a discusting meal that can only be tossed in the
trash.

Agreed... altho' the starving college student handbook has a recipe for
cream of tomato soup made from the free condiments you can get at most
fast food places. ;-)

Involves a cup of hot water, ketchup and coffee creamer packets.

Ps, I tried it just for grins one time at work...

and it works!

I once made spanish rice using ketchup. I can recall few grosser
concoctions.

I didn't say it was good. g
But it worked... The creamer packets offset the taste of the ketchup.

You used it in spanish rice??? gag Why?
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 17-08-2008, 08:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 10:48:54 -0500, Omelet wrote:
In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

If you substituted ketchup for any recipe that calls for tomato sauce,
you're going to have a discusting meal that can only be tossed in the
trash.

Agreed... altho' the starving college student handbook has a recipe for
cream of tomato soup made from the free condiments you can get at most
fast food places. ;-)

Involves a cup of hot water, ketchup and coffee creamer packets.

Ps, I tried it just for grins one time at work...

and it works!

I once made spanish rice using ketchup. I can recall few grosser
concoctions.

I didn't say it was good. g
But it worked... The creamer packets offset the taste of the ketchup.

You used it in spanish rice??? gag Why?

Lack of money. Young stupidity.
Old 17-08-2008, 09:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

AZ Nomad wrote:

If you substituted ketchup for any recipe that calls for tomato sauce,
you're going to have a discusting meal that can only be tossed in the
trash.

Agreed... altho' the starving college student handbook has a recipe for
cream of tomato soup made from the free condiments you can get at most
fast food places. ;-)

Involves a cup of hot water, ketchup and coffee creamer packets.

Ps, I tried it just for grins one time at work...

and it works!

I once made spanish rice using ketchup. I can recall few grosser
concoctions.

I didn't say it was good. g
But it worked... The creamer packets offset the taste of the ketchup.

You used it in spanish rice??? gag Why?

Lack of money. Young stupidity.

I understand. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

And you thought cutting your toe off with a lawnmower was bad (enough is enough) R&V Childers Gardening 2 26-06-2003 01:44 AM
a small batch of rose pictures torgo Roses 1 14-05-2003 02:56 PM
still another batch of roses torgo Roses 26 08-04-2003 04:56 PM
Another Batch of Roses Cass Roses 24 20-03-2003 03:32 AM
Frogs... the new batch Darren Jackson Ponds 6 26-02-2003 03:15 PM