Old 10-08-2008, 03:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default peaches, how to protect

Hi all,

I've just moved homes and for the first time have a fruit tree - a
peach tree. I know very little about gardening, and I'm wondering if i
have to protect the fruit from insects, birds, bats etc?

The tree has flowered, and now has many small peaches.

I live in Brisbane, Australia, and it's winter here (not that it gets
cold, mind you).

thanks in advance

jack
Old 14-08-2008, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 18:52:12 -0700 (PDT), jzfredricks
wrote:

Hi all,

I've just moved homes and for the first time have a fruit tree - a
peach tree. I know very little about gardening, and I'm wondering if i
have to protect the fruit from insects, birds, bats etc?

The tree has flowered, and now has many small peaches.

I live in Brisbane, Australia, and it's winter here (not that it gets
cold, mind you).

thanks in advance

jack

Jack,

I don't have a clue about what pests you my enounter. But, speaking
from recent personal experience if you have a heavy crop you'll need
to thin them out. I didn't thin mine - now I have broken limbs.

- Mark
Old 14-08-2008, 04:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

jzfredricks writes:
I've just moved homes and for the first time have a fruit tree - a
peach tree. I know very little about gardening, and I'm wondering if i
have to protect the fruit from insects, birds, bats etc?

The tree has flowered, and now has many small peaches.

I live in Brisbane, Australia, and it's winter here (not that it gets
cold, mind you).

Hi. For local advice try posting to aus.gardens

It's most likely a flowering peach that you have. Enjoy it for its
blossom, the fruit will fall off as soon as they form.
Old 14-08-2008, 12:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"John Savage" wrote in message
jzfredricks writes:
I've just moved homes and for the first time have a fruit tree - a
peach tree. I know very little about gardening, and I'm wondering if i
have to protect the fruit from insects, birds, bats etc?

The tree has flowered, and now has many small peaches.

I live in Brisbane, Australia, and it's winter here (not that it gets
cold, mind you).

It's most likely a flowering peach that you have. Enjoy it for its
blossom, the fruit will fall off as soon as they form.

The fruit on mine doesn't. The majority stays till they're ripe. They look
extremely unpalatable (small and green) but the flesh is devine - white,
fragrant, juicy. We discovered they were good to eat when my husband bit
into one some years back. I told him they were "flowering peaches" and not
for eating, but he convinced me they were good and after I tried one, I
couldn't believe I'd let them go to waste for all those years.

And to the OP, cover your tree with bird netting - it can be bought in all
sorts of sizes including up to 9M. Use the white bird netting, the black
stuff kills birds because they can't see it and get their legs caught in it.

Old 16-08-2008, 04:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

jzfredricks writes:
[...]

For 20 years I lived in a place with a large flowering peach. Each season
I'd watch the hard teeny weeny green fruit fall off and rot. Only now do
you disclose that I could have stewed them?? There is no dessert I like
more than stewed peaches, and getting every last morsel off a clingstone.

Because flowering peaches flower so early in the season, it's quite likely
that the fruit would have been naturally free of fruitfly, too, with no need
for any spraying regimen. Alas, I have now moved out of that place so it is
too late to carry out a taste test. I shall never forgive you, FarmI!!

peaches freebird Australia 6 18-02-2004 12:32 PM
Insect larvea in peaches A Gardening 10 16-02-2004 01:42 AM
squirrels and peaches Dianna Visek Edible Gardening 22 05-01-2004 07:32 AM
Peaches Falling Off zebrin Gardening 2 13-07-2003 12:08 AM
Advice on Peaches Spacewalkman Texas 2 15-04-2003 04:56 PM