Old 12-08-2008, 12:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

Default Excess cucumber

Other than cucumber sandwich and pickle how else can I use up a lot of
cucumber without too much work?
Old 12-08-2008, 01:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible
aem aem is offline

On Aug 11, 4:42*pm, James wrote:
Other than cucumber sandwich and pickle how else can I use up a lot of
cucumber without too much work?

Make this cold starter/appetizer:

Shredded Chicken in Red Chili Oil

Poach a chicken in barely simmering water with a large sliced onion, a
teaspoon salt amd 6 slices of fresh ginger. Drain and cool. Remove
skin and bones and shred the chicken. Refrigerate. (May be done
ahead.)

Cut 2 medium cucumbers into shreds or julienne. Skin if peel is
bitter, seed if necesary.

Mix these sauce ingredients in a bowl:
3 TB red chili oil
1 or 2 TB minced garlic
1 or 2 TB minced ginger
2 TB peanut butter
2 TB green onions, chopped
1 TB sesame oil
2 TB vegetable oil
1/2 cup light chicken stock
1/2 tsp salt

Arrange cucumber on a serving plate, pile chicken on top, pour the
sauce over. -aem

Old 12-08-2008, 01:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

James wrote:

Other than cucumber sandwich and pickle how else can I
use up a lot of cucumber without too much work?

Um, let me introduce you to Cyberdill-do.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

"James" wrote in message
Other than cucumber sandwich and pickle how else can I use up a lot of
cucumber without too much work?

I like cucumber salad. I'll peel and dice it, add some quartered mushrooms
and some diced tomatoes and toss it with ranch dressing or whatever creamy
dressing I have. You can also dice a cucumber and mix it with plain yogurt
and some cumin.

Paul

Old 12-08-2008, 01:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
James wrote:

Other than cucumber sandwich and pickle how else can I use up a lot of
cucumber without too much work?

If you also have a lot of tomatoes, gazpacho

Gazpacho

2 medium-sized cucumbers, peeled and coarsely chopped
5 medium-sized tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 medium-sized green bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
2 tsp (10 ml) finely chopped garlic
4 cups (1 L) coarsely crumbled French or Italian bread, trimmed of crusts
4 cups cold water
1/4 cup (60 ml) red wine vinegar
4 tsp (20 ml) salt
4 Tbs (60 ml) olive oil
1 Tbs (15 ml) tomato paste

1 cup (250 ml) croutons (fried bread cubes, approx. 1/4 in (1 cm) square)
1/2 cup (125 ml) finely chopped onions
1/2 cup (125 ml) finely chopped cucumbers
1/2 cup (125 ml) finely chopped green bell peppers

Combine all the soup ingredients in a large bowl and mix to combine.
Ladle this mixture, about 2 cups (500 ml) at a time into a blender
or food processor and blend at high speed until reduced to a smooth
puree. Place in a jug or covered bowl and refrigerate until well
chilled, at least 2 hours. Stir immediately before serving. Serve
with the garnishes in small bowls for the diners to help themselves
from. Serves 6 to 8.
-----------
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Old 12-08-2008, 01:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

"James" wrote in message
Other than cucumber sandwich and pickle how else can I use up a lot of
cucumber without too much work?

Almost forgot an old favorite: marinated onions and cucumber salad. It's
made with equal parts rice vinegar and sugar, salt, thinly sliced cucumbers
and sweet onions and some dill.

Paul

Old 12-08-2008, 01:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

Paul M. Cook wrote:

"James" wrote in message

Other than cucumber sandwich and pickle how else can I use up a lot of
cucumber without too much work?

Almost forgot an old favorite: marinated onions and cucumber salad. It's
made with equal parts rice vinegar and sugar, salt, thinly sliced cucumbers
and sweet onions and some dill.

Paul

Mmmm - definitely good. I've been tempted try cold cumcumber soup but
never have.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
James wrote:

[...]

Then of course there is always

"Diabetic Gourmet"

3 medium cucumbers
1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried mint leaves

Slice cucumber thin. Salt and place in a colander to let drip
for two hours. Rinse cucumber slices and mix with the rest of
the ingredients. Let rest an hour and serve.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

On 12 Aug, 00:42, James wrote:
Other than cucumber sandwich and pickle how else can I use up a lot of
cucumber without too much work?

Bajan Souse

1.2 kg meaty pork
juice of 4 large limes
salt
1 medium onion, very finely chopped
1 large cucumber, peeled and finely chopped
1 hot pepper, seeded and chopped
parsley

Wash and clean pork. Place in a large saucepan of boiling water and
simmer until tender. Remove the meat from the saucepan and plunge into
cold water. When cool, remove and cut into bite-sized pieces.

Put the pork into a bowl and make a brine with the lime juice, water
and salt to taste, about 500 ml of brine. Mix this with the onion,
cucumber and pepper, and then pour over the meat. Cover and chill for
several hours before serving. Garnish with parsley.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

James wrote:

Other than cucumber sandwich and pickle how else can I use up a lot of
cucumber without too much work?

Cut'em up and put'em into your soups and stews.

Yum.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.henriettesherbal.com

Old 12-08-2008, 02:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
James wrote:

Other than cucumber sandwich and pickle how else can I use up a lot of
cucumber without too much work?

I just peel the cuke, cut spears, salt just a leetle bit (really) and
eat. We also like a cucumber salad -- slice the peeled cucumber and mix
with some sliced or chopped onion; add some vinegar, a little sugar,
some s&p, and enjoy. A side benefit is that you can add some of the
dressing to fresh green beans if you have those at the meal, too.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller , blahblahblog is back and
Old 12-08-2008, 06:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1918...245199,00.html

Old 12-08-2008, 10:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

James wrote:

Other than cucumber sandwich and pickle how else can I use up a lot of
cucumber without too much work?

How about an easy-to-make Korean cold cucumber soup, oi naeng guk?
("oi" means "cucumber, "naeng" means "cold", and "guk" means "soup").
Here is a nice video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm4A46PpHlo.

Victor
Old 13-08-2008, 02:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

On Aug 11, 4:42 pm, James wrote:
Other than cucumber sandwich and pickle how else can I use up a lot of
cucumber without toHow about o much work?

How about this: Skin and cut them up to small square size. Put lemon
or lime , sprinkle some salt and eat. You can put some thinly sliced
onion (washed before mixing).