Old 14-08-2008, 05:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Aphids/eggs in compost?

I want to begin a compost pile starting with some corn stocks but noticed
they are spotted with live black aphids. Would the compost wind up being
contaminated with these critters or their eggs next season?

Old 14-08-2008, 06:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article g%Yok.826$ZV1.111@trnddc07, "Mike" wrote:

I want to begin a compost pile starting with some corn stocks but noticed
they are spotted with live black aphids. Would the compost wind up being
contaminated with these critters or their eggs next season?

If they are black, forgive me, but I doubt those are aphids. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 14-08-2008, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ed Ed is offline

On 14/08/08 18:08, Omelet wrote:
In article g%Yok.826$ZV1.111@trnddc07, "Mike" wrote:

I want to begin a compost pile starting with some corn stocks but noticed
they are spotted with live black aphids. Would the compost wind up being
contaminated with these critters or their eggs next season?

If they are black, forgive me, but I doubt those are aphids. ;-)

Oh!! Are aphids only white boys then? :-)) I'm sure that is not da case.

Ed

Old 14-08-2008, 06:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Ed ex@directory wrote:

On 14/08/08 18:08, Omelet wrote:
In article g%Yok.826$ZV1.111@trnddc07, "Mike" wrote:

I want to begin a compost pile starting with some corn stocks but noticed
they are spotted with live black aphids. Would the compost wind up being
contaminated with these critters or their eggs next season?

If they are black, forgive me, but I doubt those are aphids. ;-)

Oh!! Are aphids only white boys then? :-)) I'm sure that is not da case.

Ed

Nope! Dem's extraterrestrials...

Green blooded bro's!
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 15-08-2008, 07:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article g%Yok.826$ZV1.111@trnddc07, "Mike" wrote:

I want to begin a compost pile starting with some corn stocks but

noticed
they are spotted with live black aphids. Would the compost wind up being
contaminated with these critters or their eggs next season?

If they are black, forgive me, but I doubt those are aphids. ;-)
--

They're definitely corn aphids:
http://ipm.uiuc.edu/bulletin/print.php?id=148

Old 15-08-2008, 11:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Mike said:

I want to begin a compost pile starting with some corn stocks but noticed
they are spotted with live black aphids. Would the compost wind up being
contaminated with these critters or their eggs next season?

From the link you cited later in the thread:
"As corn begins to senesce later in the season, winged aphids are
produced and migrate to other suitable hosts."

Aphids have complex life cycles that alternate between asexual
(parthenogenetic) reproduction and sexual reproduction. The
sexual reproductive phase can be on an entirely different host
plant than used during the asexual phase.

The aphids on your corn right now are in the asexual phase--they
don't lay eggs. That's for the winged generation, and the article on
corn aphids suggests that they may do that somewhere else.

Should be perfectly safe to compost those stalks. If you were able
to compost then in a hot pile, you could feel even more certain.

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Old 15-08-2008, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

There are black aphids. They love nasturtiums, among other things.

--

Visit
www.insectgraphics.com for all your insect gift needs
news

Old 20-08-2008, 06:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article g%Yok.826$ZV1.111@trnddc07, "Mike" wrote:

I want to begin a compost pile starting with some corn stocks but

noticed
they are spotted with live black aphids. Would the compost wind up being
contaminated with these critters or their eggs next season?

If they are black, forgive me, but I doubt those are aphids. ;-)
--

oh i get it ha ha,
Yea, when it comes to growing a garden you can't help but notice how

Old 20-08-2008, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I think it is not a good place to live in the compost.
Besides it depends from when you are going to use that compost.

During the developing of the compost the temperature rise, cause of the
fermentation and perhaps you could have some hard-boiled eggs :-)
Besides when perhaps the little nymphes get out they will find a not
good environment for their life and you know the most of the aphids live
on a a leaf, or the stem of a plant. What could they do in the humid
compost? ...probably they will die because the humidity promotes fungi
infections on their bodies.
I hope this will help,

Little Yellow Eggs found in plant compost! Pictures attached rosewazs Gardening 3 16-09-2014 04:55 PM
Eggs in Organic Compost ?? BillytheFish Gardening 3 06-05-2012 08:30 PM
Aphids Wilf & Helen Ponds 2 26-02-2003 06:51 PM
aphids Bonnie Espenshade Ponds 10 25-02-2003 03:52 AM
tiny gnats -flies- aphids David Shalita Edible Gardening 1 31-01-2003 02:14 AM