Old 14-08-2008, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Prickly Pear Cactus

So after a gruesome summer of watching one napole after another
shrivel up and blow away, I'm down to my last one. Anecdotally,
I've been told to just lie the napole on the ground and it will
root. This hasn't worked.

Googling, I find that it is recommended to set the napole on its'
side and bury a small part of it.

I am using a half barrel with hill side clay at the bottom and
mixed with cactus potting soil (1-1) for the top 8". The "last
nopale" has sprouted another nopale but I am too afraid to move it to
see if it is rooted.

Lacking any comment to the contrary, I intend to check the napale
for roots today, and in the event that I don't find any, rotating
it from its' face to its' side and planting a quarter of it in the
ground.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 14-08-2008, 06:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

So after a gruesome summer of watching one napole after another
shrivel up and blow away, I'm down to my last one. Anecdotally,
I've been told to just lie the napole on the ground and it will
root. This hasn't worked.

Googling, I find that it is recommended to set the napole on its'
side and bury a small part of it.

I am using a half barrel with hill side clay at the bottom and
mixed with cactus potting soil (1-1) for the top 8". The "last
nopale" has sprouted another nopale but I am too afraid to move it to
see if it is rooted.

Lacking any comment to the contrary, I intend to check the napale
for roots today, and in the event that I don't find any, rotating
it from its' face to its' side and planting a quarter of it in the
ground.

I TOLD you to plant the BASE in a pot babe. ;-) Flat planting is more
iffy in my direct experience.

I'll still send you more if that one dies...

But, I'll pre-root them first. lol Takes about 3 to 4 weeks...

Soil mix is 1/3rd sand, 1/3rd good potting mix (like MG) and 1/3rd
vermiculite. Best mix for succulent cuttings.

I may not be very good at getting perennial cuttings to grow, but I've
had REALLY good luck with succulents. I bought a book.

Want some San Pedro? g
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 14-08-2008, 07:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

I TOLD you to plant the BASE in a pot babe. ;-) Flat planting is more
iffy in my direct experience.

And my CSA told me to lie them on the ground, apparently, at that point
I forgot your advice. If struggling to survive makes for a healthyier
plant, then the food from this CSA must be incredibly healthy.

I'm on my way, thanks ;O)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 14-08-2008, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

I TOLD you to plant the BASE in a pot babe. ;-) Flat planting is more
iffy in my direct experience.

And my CSA told me to lie them on the ground, apparently, at that point
I forgot your advice. If struggling to survive makes for a healthyier
plant, then the food from this CSA must be incredibly healthy.

I'm on my way, thanks ;O)

grins Good luck with the pad babe.

The offer for more is still open. I stole those from a HUGE plant that
was over 6' tall, growing over a fence on to a public sidewalk.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 15-08-2008, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

I TOLD you to plant the BASE in a pot babe. ;-) Flat planting is more
iffy in my direct experience.

And my CSA told me to lie them on the ground, apparently, at that point
I forgot your advice. If struggling to survive makes for a healthyier
plant, then the food from this CSA must be incredibly healthy.

I'm on my way, thanks ;O)

grins Good luck with the pad babe.

The offer for more is still open. I stole those from a HUGE plant that
was over 6' tall, growing over a fence on to a public sidewalk.

Like watermelons, the stolen ones are always the sweetest;O))
The last of the nopales (the largest) rooted itself (whew, what a
relief). It was way cool to watch the nopale bud. At first I
thought that it was a weed growing on the cactus. Today it is
obviously a new nopale growing from the first :O)

Thanks to you and Jangchub for gettin' me going.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Old 15-08-2008, 02:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

I TOLD you to plant the BASE in a pot babe. ;-) Flat planting is more
iffy in my direct experience.

And my CSA told me to lie them on the ground, apparently, at that point
I forgot your advice. If struggling to survive makes for a healthyier
plant, then the food from this CSA must be incredibly healthy.

I'm on my way, thanks ;O)

grins Good luck with the pad babe.

The offer for more is still open. I stole those from a HUGE plant that
was over 6' tall, growing over a fence on to a public sidewalk.

Like watermelons, the stolen ones are always the sweetest;O))
The last of the nopales (the largest) rooted itself (whew, what a
relief). It was way cool to watch the nopale bud. At first I
thought that it was a weed growing on the cactus. Today it is
obviously a new nopale growing from the first :O)

Thanks to you and Jangchub for gettin' me going.

Jangchub had some spineless ones too? :-)

Cool!

Yeah, it's always neat to see new buds form on cactus.

Wait 'till it blooms...
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 19-08-2008, 08:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

Opposite problem here, Billy. Immediately adjacent to the AC compressor
concrete pad is some prickly pear cactus. I've mowed it down till blue in
the face, 2 years now. It won't die.
--
Dave

Old 19-08-2008, 05:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

If you can't beat them, join them and do as I do with my dandelions,
I eat them. Prickly pears are free food and can double as a primer,
if you decide to whitewash your house ;O). The fruit is supposed
to taste like water melon (or was that chicken? No, I'm sure it is
watermelon:O).
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 19-08-2008, 08:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
If you can't beat them, join them and do as I do with my dandelions,
I eat them. Prickly pears are free food and can double as a primer,
if you decide to whitewash your house ;O). The fruit is supposed
to taste like water melon (or was that chicken? No, I'm sure it is
watermelon:O).

Hello I am new here I followed a friend in

I have eaten a lot of prickly pears when I lived in Malta. Yes, they are a
bit like melon but have biggish seeds in them and they are delicious. If you
touch the outer skin, the fine hairs will penetrate into your skin and they
are sore. The people with carts that sold them house to house in Malta,
used to cut the skin, turn them inside out and offer them, to allow the
customer to take out the fruit themselves. The skin on their hands were
hard.

best

Ophelia UK

Old 20-08-2008, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Ophelia" wrote:

Billy wrote:
[...]

Welcome O'! :-)

This is a good list.

Mom taught me to torch cactus fruit to get rid of the tiny spines.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Old 20-08-2008, 07:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
"Ophelia" wrote:

Billy wrote:
[...]

Thanks Om))

This is a good list.

Mom taught me to torch cactus fruit to get rid of the tiny spines.

That is a good idea They don't grow in UK though

I was very interested in the 'no dig' gardening.

--
Life sometimes gives you a second chance.

Old 21-08-2008, 02:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

Have all I can eat near the street as it is now...
Not sure how concrete siding will react to prickly pear cactus.

"We are all prisoners of our own device"/Eagles. See Bush/Pelosi.
--
Dave

Old 21-08-2008, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Ophelia" wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
"Ophelia" wrote:

Billy wrote:
[...]

You think it's too wet to grow them there, or has no one introduced them?
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 21-08-2008, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
You think it's too wet to grow them there, or has no one introduced
them?

Probably too cool here.

--
Life sometimes gives you a second chance.

Old 21-08-2008, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Ophelia" wrote:

Omelet wrote:
You think it's too wet to grow them there, or has no one introduced
them?

Probably too cool here.

Wonder if you could adapt them?
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Prickly Pear Cactus pixi Gardening 20 23-08-2005 03:35 AM
Speaking of Prickly Pear Cactus... pixi Gardening 1 16-01-2005 01:46 PM
Prickly Pear Cactus Steve Coyle Texas 8 05-06-2003 09:13 AM
Prickly Pear cactus Jim North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:32 PM
Anybody want a prickly pear cactus? Callen Molenda Gardening 2 06-04-2003 10:08 PM