Old 15-08-2008, 03:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Anyone ever shave a cactus, edible (or inedible)?

Has anyone done this to make it safer? My friend is always ending up
with thorns in her skin, so I wondered if I could use an electric
razor on it to help protect her.
Thanks.
Old 15-08-2008, 06:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
dale662 wrote:

Has anyone done this to make it safer? My friend is always ending up
with thorns in her skin, so I wondered if I could use an electric
razor on it to help protect her.
Thanks.

You need to remove the little bump that the thorn protrudes from
as well. You might try a vegetable peeler, and gloves.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 15-08-2008, 08:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
dale662 wrote:

Has anyone done this to make it safer? My friend is always ending up
with thorns in her skin, so I wondered if I could use an electric
razor on it to help protect her.
Thanks.

Most cattle ranchers use blow torches.

Seriously.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 15-08-2008, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"dale662" wrote in message
Has anyone done this to make it safer? My friend is always ending up
with thorns in her skin, so I wondered if I could use an electric
razor on it to help protect her.
Thanks.

Good how-to info and pics from Rolly's site: he usually hangs out in
Alt.Food.Mexican.Cooking but maybe taking the summer off:
http://rollybrook.com/nopales.htm

We don't do cacti well up here in Western WA State so I buy them in a jar
and bonus by saving the hassle of the little no-see-em thorns. Here is a
link if you don't have them in your stores.
http://www.mexgrocer.com/1154.html

Old 18-08-2008, 02:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Aug 15, 4:46*pm, "gunner" wrote:
"dale662" wrote in message

Has anyone done this to make it safer? My friend is always ending up
with thorns in her skin, so I wondered if I could use an electric
razor on it to help protect her.
Thanks.

Good how-to info and pics from Rolly's site: he usually hangs out in
Alt.Food.Mexican.Cooking but maybe taking the summer off:http://rollybrook.com/nopales.htm

We don't do cacti well up here in Western WA State so I buy them in a jar
and bonus by saving the hassle of the little no-see-em thorns. *Here is a
link if you don't have them in your stores.http://www.mexgrocer.com/1154.html

Thanks to all who responded. However, I meant "How to take thorns off
an _ornamental_ cactus." Thanks again.

Old 18-08-2008, 03:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
dale662 wrote:

On Aug 15, 4:46*pm, "gunner" wrote:
"dale662" wrote in message

Has anyone done this to make it safer? My friend is always ending up
with thorns in her skin, so I wondered if I could use an electric
razor on it to help protect her.
Thanks.

Good how-to info and pics from Rolly's site: he usually hangs out in
Alt.Food.Mexican.Cooking but maybe taking the summer
off:http://rollybrook.com/nopales.htm

We don't do cacti well up here in Western WA State so I buy them in a jar
and bonus by saving the hassle of the little no-see-em thorns. *Here is a
link if you don't have them in your
stores.http://www.mexgrocer.com/1154.html

Thanks to all who responded. However, I meant "How to take thorns off
an ornamental cactus." Thanks again.

Seriously, you could try a small torch and apply it carefully...
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 18-08-2008, 11:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Rick wrote:

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 08:31:15 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article
,
dale662 wrote:

On Aug 15, 4:46*pm, "gunner" wrote:
"dale662" wrote in message

Has anyone done this to make it safer? My friend is always ending up
with thorns in her skin, so I wondered if I could use an electric
razor on it to help protect her.
Thanks.

Good how-to info and pics from Rolly's site: he usually hangs out in
Alt.Food.Mexican.Cooking but maybe taking the summer
off:http://rollybrook.com/nopales.htm

We don't do cacti well up here in Western WA State so I buy them in a jar
and bonus by saving the hassle of the little no-see-em thorns. *Here is a
link if you don't have them in your
stores.http://www.mexgrocer.com/1154.html

Thanks to all who responded. However, I meant "How to take thorns off
an ornamental cactus." Thanks again.

Seriously, you could try a small torch and apply it carefully...

On the ranch in AZ we routinely used to prickley pear for the cattle.
Fire did not seem to harm the cactus.

I'd heard of that here in Texas too. That's why I mentioned it. :-)
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)