Old 17-08-2008, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Have you used sulphur?

I hae been told that it helps to remove harmful organisms from the
soil. I am dubious. Have you had real-word experience with it?
Old 17-08-2008, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"www.locoworks.com" wrote:

I hae been told that it helps to remove harmful organisms from the
soil. I am dubious. Have you had real-word experience with it?

Yes, I have...

I was having a die-off of English Ivy on my fence line. I took some of
the dying plant to the local nursery (Gardenville). They said it looked
like root rot which is fungal. Made sense, we'd had an unusual amount of
rain at the time.

They sold me sulphur and told me to water it well into the soil where
the plants were.

Wait two weeks then add a soil probiotic that they also sold me.

It worked.

I'd personally not use it unless you have a reason to do so. A specific
infection. Add probiotic soil bacteria instead.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 17-08-2008, 11:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"www.locoworks.com" wrote:

I hae been told that it helps to remove harmful organisms from the
soil. I am dubious. Have you had real-word experience with it?

To lower the pH of the soil where I have my blueberries and
potatoes. I've never heard of sulfur being used as a soil
treatment but wetable sulfur is used on the aerial parts of
plants.

You may want to look at
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/GARDE...LS/sulfur.html
before using sulfur.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 18-08-2008, 12:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
"www.locoworks.com" wrote:

I hae been told that it helps to remove harmful organisms from the
soil. I am dubious. Have you had real-word experience with it?

Yes, I have...

I was having a die-off of English Ivy on my fence line. I took some of
the dying plant to the local nursery (Gardenville). They said it looked
like root rot which is fungal. Made sense, we'd had an unusual amount of
rain at the time.

They sold me sulphur and told me to water it well into the soil where
the plants were.

Wait two weeks then add a soil probiotic that they also sold me.

It worked.

I'd personally not use it unless you have a reason to do so. A specific
infection. Add probiotic soil bacteria instead.

The sulfur may have been to lower the pH, which frees up nutrients,
or may improve the environment for the probiotic, or weaken the
target organism.

If you have any more random statements, I'd be happy to generalize
on them ;O)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 18-08-2008, 04:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
"www.locoworks.com" wrote:

[...]

grins Sulphur kills fungus by lowering the Ph.
Garlic is high in sulphur too which is why it's _very_ effective in
killing yeast...

I'd not heard of using it tho' to change the soil Ph. Makes sense.
Wonder if it'd be good for pine trees? Our soil here is very Alkaline
which is why many of them don't do well.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Old 18-08-2008, 06:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
"www.locoworks.com" wrote:

[...]

I'd love to get back to your yeast but . . .

My confusion here is that forests, undisturbed soil, have a lot
of mycelium growth, and they are acidic.

Gardens tend to be at higher pH. ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soil_pH
Altering Soil pH
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 18-08-2008, 07:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
"www.locoworks.com" wrote:

[...]

Not. g

I advised a good female friend about it. She was having problems with
over the counter crap that no longer works. I was advised by one of our
ER docs (now head of our ER) that OTC remedies were deregulated just
because they seldom work anymore. The yeast had become immune to many of
them. It makes money for the drug companies.

The ones that still do work are still prescription only, and have side
effects. Plus, some women mis-diagnose themselves. Wet preps and a
microscope are the only way to diagnose it. There are advantages to
working in the lab in health care. g

I'd landed in to a bunch of fresh garlic heads at the asian market, 6
heads for $.99. I gave her 12 heads and told her to pig out on it. She
liked garlic so did so. She liked garlic.

It worked. ;-)

My confusion here is that forests, undisturbed soil, have a lot
of mycelium growth, and they are acidic.

I understand. Some pine trees only live well with symbiotic fungus.
Amanita muscaria only grows in conjunction with certain trees too.

Remember, there is a distinction between disease causing fungus vs.
friendly fungus?

Gardens tend to be at higher pH. ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soil_pH
Altering Soil pH

Cool link thanks!

All I know is that the advice from gardenville saved my English Ivy.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 18-08-2008, 01:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
JC JC is offline

"Billy" wrote in message
In article
,
"www.locoworks.com" wrote:

I hae been told that it helps to remove harmful organisms from the
soil. I am dubious. Have you had real-word experience with it?

To lower the pH of the soil where I have my blueberries and
potatoes. I've never heard of sulfur being used as a soil
treatment but wetable sulfur is used on the aerial parts of
plants.

You may want to look at
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/GARDE...LS/sulfur.html
before using sulfur.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

We pour a narrow trail of it around certain outbuildings. Keeps the
snakes out.

Old 19-08-2008, 05:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"www.locoworks.com" wrote in message
I hae been told that it helps to remove harmful organisms from the
soil. I am dubious. Have you had real-word experience with it?

I've used it to lower the soil PH. It's also supposed to make iron more
available to the plants. Our soil is alkaline and low in Iron.

Old 19-08-2008, 05:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news

I'd not heard of using it tho' to change the soil Ph.

It's used here in TN to lower soil PH. To plant hollies I mixed it with
sand, Ironite, topsoil and composted manure. That was mixed well with the
poor clay soil here. They're beautiful with no chlorosis. :-)

Old 19-08-2008, 05:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message

My confusion here is that forests, undisturbed soil, have a lot
of mycelium growth, and they are acidic.

Gardens tend to be at higher pH. ?

Our soils here in TN are high in PH because we're on limestone.

Old 19-08-2008, 08:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

www.locoworks.com ha scritto:
I hae been told that it helps to remove harmful organisms from the
soil. I am dubious. Have you had real-word experience with it?

There is something right in it. I have read all the answers and I think
the most clear in explaining this issues are those of Billy.
Sulphur lowers the soil pH and then make the fungus more competive than
bacterias whose better pH is around 7 (neutrality).
This fact make the fungus more present in acidic soils like those of
pinewoods, whose organic matter decompose more slowly.
But as Billy said before a lower pH frees up nutrients (really frees up
some micro-nutrients and some of the soil phosphorous).
But if micronutrients are too much available they can be toxic for
humans and plants too (for the humans particularly: lead, aluminium and
others, that are more frequent in polluted soils).
Instead of sulphur I suggest you to use green manure with some species
of brassicaceae plant family like Sinapis alba and Rhaphanus sativus.
These species and also garlic are useful against soil organisms and they
contain and adsorb from the soil the same sulphur you were advised to use.
You can find more about this issue in the following sites I've just
found through a Google search (I think these links could be useful
according to your question, but as someone say ...there are also some
disadvantages in using them):

http://www2.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/pr/gar...hite_must.html
http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/...l?Sinapis+alba
http://wsare.usu.edu/pro/fieldrep_00...al/sw95021.pdf
I hope this could help,
Bye

Luca Fianchini - Italy

You can find me also he
http://www.agrolinker.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl (discussion forum about
agriculture in USA, Europe, etc)
http://www.agrolinker.co.uk/ (articles and news about agriculture and
landscaping)

Sulphur Candle? SH United Kingdom 1 31-01-2004 03:33 PM
Is sulphur powder the least costly way to lower PH ? Texas 12 09-06-2003 02:56 PM
Black Spot, Sulphur & 'Organic Rose' Book John T. Jarrett Texas 5 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
[IBC] Lime Sulphur Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 2 29-03-2003 12:44 PM
where to get flowers of sulphur ken sands United Kingdom 7 17-01-2003 08:31 PM