Old 18-08-2008, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Poe Poe is offline

Default Master Gardener Program

In Ohio, where I live, we have a program called the Master Gardener
Program, which consists of 10 weeks of classes, and then some volunteer
work. Apparently the training is pretty extensive, and there are never
enough seats to go around, so they interview everyone to determine who
gets in.

I was wondering if anyone here has attended it, or anything like it, and
had any comments. I'd be interested in if it was useful, especially for
my interests in veggie gardening, or any other insights.
Old 18-08-2008, 10:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ed Ed is offline

On 18/08/08 22:27, Poe wrote:

In Ohio, where I live, we have a program called the Master Gardener
Program, which consists of 10 weeks of classes, and then some volunteer
work. Apparently the training is pretty extensive, and there are never
enough seats to go around, so they interview everyone to determine who
gets in.

I was wondering if anyone here has attended it, or anything like it, and
had any comments. I'd be interested in if it was useful, especially for
my interests in veggie gardening, or any other insights.

Is the program aimed at practical veg growing? Is that what you want?

Do you have a plot available now that you can plant up with veg? How
big is it?

Ed

Old 18-08-2008, 11:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Poe Poe is offline

Ed wrote:
On 18/08/08 22:27, Poe wrote:

In Ohio, where I live, we have a program called the Master Gardener
Program, which consists of 10 weeks of classes, and then some
volunteer work. Apparently the training is pretty extensive, and there
are never enough seats to go around, so they interview everyone to
determine who gets in.

I was wondering if anyone here has attended it, or anything like it,
and had any comments. I'd be interested in if it was useful,
especially for my interests in veggie gardening, or any other insights.

Is the program aimed at practical veg growing? Is that what you want?

Do you have a plot available now that you can plant up with veg? How
big is it?

Ed

I won't get the details on the program until fall, and then the classes
are over the winter. But my understanding is that it covers a huge range
of gardening information - including veggie gardening, but also soil and
climate and diseases, and so on. I would like to learn as much as I can,
although right now I am into veggies (and fruit).

I currently own about 2.5 acres in zone 5 (Northern Ohio). I have a
smallish garden at the moment, with tomatoes, lots of varieties of
peppers, eggplant, melons, summer & winter squash, cukes, cabbage,
broccoli, okra, and some leafy things like collard and swiss chard. I
have another area with herbs, and another small area with berries
(blueberries and raspberries).

I've also been learning about preserving - just canned 4 quarts of
sweet/sour/hot zucchini relish, and will be making hot pepper jelly in
the next few days. My goal is to eat healthy by having a load of produce
always in front of me, and to reduce my spend at the grocery - although
I also see this as a hobby, so I don't mind some investment. For
instance, I did purchase a solar powered deer-fence (give a little zap
on their nose), and I have a heated barn with rows of lights for growing
seedlings for spring plantings and such. I originally used those to
create huge amounts of decorative landscape items to make my yard more
pleasing, but now I think they'll be used to get a jump on growing
produce. Oh - I'd like to get more into heirloom variants of everything
when possible so I can save seeds with predictable results.

Sorry for my long winded answer, but I wanted to outline where I am at
with regard to gardening, and my interests.

Old 18-08-2008, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ed Ed is offline

On 18/08/08 23:06, Poe wrote:
Ed wrote:
On 18/08/08 22:27, Poe wrote:

[...]

Wow, wow!! You sound like an expert already!!!! Maybe you should be
leading da class ??

But there is always stuff to learn. You just need to check out the
details of the course when they become available and see if it offers
you anything.

Best wishes,
Ed (Ireland)

Old 19-08-2008, 04:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Poe" wrote in message
when possible so I can save seeds with predictable results.

Brevity snipped.

Sorry for my long winded answer, but I wanted to outline where I am at
with regard to gardening, and my interests.

I say go for it. Education is never wasted. :-)

Old 19-08-2008, 08:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:27:24 -0400, Poe wrote:

In Ohio, where I live, we have a program called the Master Gardener
Program, which consists of 10 weeks of classes, and then some volunteer
work. Apparently the training is pretty extensive, and there are never
enough seats to go around, so they interview everyone to determine who
gets in.

I was wondering if anyone here has attended it, or anything like it, and
had any comments. I'd be interested in if it was useful, especially for
my interests in veggie gardening, or any other insights.

See if you can locate some graduates of the program and learn their opinions of
the course work. For me the program was not enough, but then I already hold a
degree in agriculture. I was seeking more information on farming/ gardening in
my area. That is not apparently what is taught here.

The price for the course is high, in my opinion. For that kind of money I can
buy several good books to study and keep for future reference. My opinion, your
mileage may vary.

Old 19-08-2008, 02:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Poe" wrote

[...]
Sorry for my long winded answer, but I wanted to outline where I am at
with regard to gardening, and my interests.

yep, lots of info conveyed.
Seems you've got your first order of business well in hand.

If you've never attended a Master Gardener course, I would think you could
learn enough to make it worthwhile. But as Vandy suggested, talking with a
past student, (one that currently gardens), may assuage any concerns.

How much space do you currently till? How much could you till?

Would you like to derive income from your excesses?

Do you have interest in maintaining organic methods?

I'm in NE Ohio myself, far enough south I'm usually considered zone 6,
(though I plant like it's zone 5). Here's a suggestion for a crop that
will flourish in your local, perhaps find many appreciating palates. Look at
the varieties and how much they are charging per pound:
http://67.199.35.172/ZenCart/index.p...=index&cPath=3
and: http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/boutique.htm

and this fella will buy any excess garlic, even produce retail buyers:
http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/fewgood.htm

I'd guess garlic lovers outnumber cigar aficionados by a fair margin

Steve Young

Old 19-08-2008, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Poe Poe is offline

Steve Young wrote:
"Poe" wrote

[...]
Sorry for my long winded answer, but I wanted to outline where I am at
with regard to gardening, and my interests.

yep, lots of info conveyed.
Seems you've got your first order of business well in hand.

If you've never attended a Master Gardener course, I would think you
could learn enough to make it worthwhile. But as Vandy suggested,
talking with a past student, (one that currently gardens), may assuage
any concerns.

I'm glad I am getting this feedback, because it does require a number of
hours for the classes, and then volunteer work afterwards. I want to
make good use of my time. I am hoping the materials they send me in fall
will fill in some of the blanks, too.

How much space do you currently till? How much could you till?

Didn't till at all this year, which was a mistake. I've tilled before,
but this year I just put down some peat moss that I had hoped would work
its way into the soil, and covered with that black landscaping fabric to
keep weeds down. Unfortunately I think my soil is rather deficient, as I
had tomato blossom rot and somewhat late maturity of a few things. That
didn't keep my summer squash down, though, I have enough zucchini to
feed a village!

Going forward I plan to till twice a year, beginning and end. At the end
of this year's growing season I plan to till in a pile of what I guess
amounts to a casual compost pile (I don't tend to it, it is just scraps
and garden waste), along with dead plant materials and a couple loads of
manure from a horse farm up the street. At least that is what I am
currently planning, unless I learn something better.

Would you like to derive income from your excesses?

If I could, sure. I don't know how to go about getting into that,
though. I am semi-retired, so I have time at home t work on my garden a lot.

Do you have interest in maintaining organic methods?

Yes, in fact I have been trying to stay as organic as I can, although I
did have to use a store-bought spray for a squash bg invasion. I tried
to select a chemical that is deemed fairly safe.

I'm in NE Ohio myself, far enough south I'm usually considered zone 6,
(though I plant like it's zone 5). Here's a suggestion for a crop that
will flourish in your local, perhaps find many appreciating palates.
Look at the varieties and how much they are charging per pound:
http://67.199.35.172/ZenCart/index.p...=index&cPath=3
and: http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/boutique.htm

Yummy garlic, one of my favorites!

and this fella will buy any excess garlic, even produce retail buyers:
http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/fewgood.htm

I'd guess garlic lovers outnumber cigar aficionados by a fair margin

Probably, and we have better breath

Steve Young