Old 22-08-2008, 04:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Can raccoons climb

My corn patch is surrounded by a wire fence but it hasn't kept the
raccoons out. I don't see any holes under the fence so I don't know how
they are getting in. Can raccoons climb wire fences?

I caught one last night in my trap and moved him to some conservation land
about 5 miles away. I've reset the trap and I fully expect to catch
several more, but from past experience it's pretty much impossible to make
a dent in the raccoon population. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 22-08-2008, 05:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Poe Poe is offline

General Schvantzkopf wrote:
My corn patch is surrounded by a wire fence but it hasn't kept the
raccoons out. I don't see any holes under the fence so I don't know how
they are getting in. Can raccoons climb wire fences?

I caught one last night in my trap and moved him to some conservation land
about 5 miles away. I've reset the trap and I fully expect to catch
several more, but from past experience it's pretty much impossible to make
a dent in the raccoon population. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Is it an electric fence? That's what I use, to shock critters so they
bugger off. Unfortunately raccoons are very good climbers, agile, and
pretty clever when it comes to overcoming obstacles. Where I live, if
you trap one it is illegal to move it, it must be killed (though I have
moved them, because I don't have the heart to kill).

But to answer, yes, it probably grabbed the fence with it's little hands
and climbed right over.
Old 22-08-2008, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 11:22:27 -0400, Poe wrote:

[...]

How did you electrify your fence? Did you run a wire at the top of the
fence? The fence itself is attached to metal poles that are in the ground,
so it can't be electrified directly.

I'm sure that moving them is illegal in my area also but I don't have the
heart to shoot them, and I don't own a gun anyway.
Old 22-08-2008, 05:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
General Schvantzkopf wrote:

My corn patch is surrounded by a wire fence but it hasn't kept the
raccoons out. I don't see any holes under the fence so I don't know how
they are getting in. Can raccoons climb wire fences?

They are excellent climbers!

I caught one last night in my trap and moved him to some conservation land
about 5 miles away. I've reset the trap and I fully expect to catch
several more, but from past experience it's pretty much impossible to make
a dent in the raccoon population. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

5 miles away is not far enough.

20 is about the minimum.

You'd do better just shooting them. Sorry. :-(

I had to deal with them and poultry. They are very, very prolific
critters.

Wildlife rescue taught me to stop them from climbing by using a high
fence, and attaching a 12" wide strip of flashing on the fence about 18"
to 24" up.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 22-08-2008, 06:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Poe Poe is offline

[...]

The professional pest removal guys around here drown them. I once hired
a guy to remove raccoons who got into my heating vents - I had to get
rid of them before they died or went to the bathroom in there, which
would make my house germy and stinky, and be difficult to correct.
That's when I learned what they do, and it made me sick. The guy told me
to just get my own trap and when I catch a coon, throw the trapped
animal in my pond. That made me sick, I don't even like to kill most
insects.

My electric fence is a wire strung across a number of plastic posts, and
powered by a solar box that cost about $100. The fence is only about 4'
high, but that is at nose-level for the deer, and since I installed it
my garden seems to be off the menu! It was super easy to set up, too.

Old 22-08-2008, 07:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Poe wrote:

[...]

I've drowned trapped rats a couple of times.

I won't do it any more. :-(

A plastic bag hooked up to an exhaust pipe with the animal inside of it
will kill more mercifully with CO gas, or some Ether from the auto parts
store.

I prefer to put a bullet between their eyes. Quicker and more merciful.
If you can't do it, find a neighbor that can?
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 22-08-2008, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Poe Poe is offline

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Poe wrote:

[...]

I hope I don't trap anymore. The problem area for us had been our barn,
because they'd burrow under the walls every year (the floor was gravel),
and then set up house in the rafters and have babies. They were really
dirty, crapping all over in there and making the place toxic.

At that point we did borrow a trap and decided we had the guts to shoot
them, but not me, so I sent my husband out there to do it. I never heard
a shot, and eventually he came back in and said "it's looking right at
me, I don't want to shoot it". That's the one we illegally moved.

Finally we got a clue, and had a cement floor put in this year to keep
them out once and for all. Since then we've been cleaning out everything
and tossing or disinfecting (and we set up a little shooting range in
it, too!).

My only remaining worry is that we have a cat door, which is where the
ones in our heating vent came in thru. It happened only that once,
though, and that was about 10 years ago, and the heating vent thing was
just odd timing because we had the covers off at the time to change
them. And we've kept them out of the garden so far with the afore
mentioned electric fence.

Old 22-08-2008, 09:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 12:51:54 -0400, Poe wrote:

[...]

Where did you get the electric fence? I just tried Home Depot and Lowes
and all they have are the electric pet collars, I don't think putting a
collar on a rabid raccoon is an option.
Old 22-08-2008, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"General Schvantzkopf" wrote in message
. ..
My corn patch is surrounded by a wire fence but it hasn't kept the
raccoons out. I don't see any holes under the fence so I don't know how
they are getting in. Can raccoons climb wire fences?

YES! And so can possums and squirrels. So far I haven't seen skunks or
rabbits climb.

I caught one last night in my trap and moved him to some conservation land
about 5 miles away. I've reset the trap and I fully expect to catch
several more, but from past experience it's pretty much impossible to make
a dent in the raccoon population. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Run a "hot" string of electric fence wire a few inches above the top of your
fence. A double row about 5" apart will work even better. That will keep
them all out. It did for me.

Old 22-08-2008, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"General Schvantzkopf" wrote in message
. ..

How did you electrify your fence? Did you run a wire at the top of the
fence? The fence itself is attached to metal poles that are in the ground,
so it can't be electrified directly.

Our fence was similar. We used insulators to insulate the hot wires at the
top from the fence poles.

Old 22-08-2008, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 14:10:01 -0500, General Schvantzkopf
wrote:

[...]

Online: Kencove, Premier

Old 22-08-2008, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

My electric fence is a wire strung across a number of plastic posts, and
powered by a solar box that cost about $100. The fence is only about 4'
high, but that is at nose-level for the deer, and since I installed it
my garden seems to be off the menu! It was super easy to set up, too.
Where did you get the electric fence? I just tried Home Depot and Lowes
and all they have are the electric pet collars, I don't think putting a
collar on a rabid raccoon is an option.

Online: Kencove, Premier

I got mine at Tractor Supply as well, near Cleveland OH. The brand I got
is Zareba: http://www.zarebasystemsinc.com/

The one I got is solar powered, so I didn't have to run electric.

Same here. I use a 30 mile rated one for small pasture and pigs, and
then just bought another smaller 6 mile one to move around for
intensive grazing.

Brand I have is Statesman, which is just a Southern States branded
version made by Parmac.

I get the wire, clips, and posts from Tractor Supply, just because
they're closest.

Some electrified chicken netting might be better suited for the OP's
problem, and then I would look online to Premier and Kencove. This
type has the posts incorporated in the mesh, so you just buy the mesh,
and then charge it.

Old 22-08-2008, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"General Schvantzkopf" wrote

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 12:51:54 -0400, Poe wrote:

My electric fence is a wire strung across a number of plastic posts, and
powered by a solar box that cost about $100. The fence is only about 4'
high, but that is at nose-level for the deer, and since I installed it
my garden seems to be off the menu! It was super easy to set up, too.

Where did you get the electric fence? I just tried Home Depot and Lowes
and all they have are the electric pet collars, I don't think putting a
collar on a rabid raccoon is an option.

Here are 2 places where I bought the pieces parts for my electric fence. I
have a Parmak Super Energizer 4 charger I bought from the second link. I use
the insulated underground gate wire from the charger mounted inside a
building. Personally, with the winters we have here, I wouldn't use
batteries to power the system.
http://www.kencove.com/fence/
http://www.horse.com/Horse-Fencing/Fence-Chargers.html

The fence has 2 strands of 16 ga aluminum wire set at 8 and 32 inches. So
far it has kept everything out, though I had expected to put in a 3rd wire
at about 15 inches. I constructed the fence with steel corner posts and 3/8
fiberglass rods for the sides. I also used connectors/insulators which allow
easy release of the wire so I could pull it away from the area without
having to thread the needle each time. This is important for tilling,
delivering compost and general seasonal maintenance.

Steve Young

Old 22-08-2008, 10:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible