Old 23-08-2008, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Fall planting potatoes?

Has anyone ever tried any extensive fall planting of potatoes in
AgCanada or USDA Zone 5 or 6?
The reason I ask is the fact that we obviously missed some potatoes
when digging the 2007 crop and they appeared as volunteers this year.
I just dug one volunteer plant today and the yield was very good if
not exceptional.
I might just try part of a row this fall to see the results.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada.
AgCanada Zone 5b
43º 17' 26.75" North
80º 13' 29.46" West
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.
Old 27-08-2008, 04:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Sounds like you might be on to something. I too had a couple
"volunteers" and the one I dug this morning had a few taters on it.
Not bad for letting it fend for itself all season. I think the
groundhog got most of my main crop, but he hasn't found the volunteers
yet..!

I think I'll try overwintering a couple raised beds and see what
transpires.

Zone 5, Midwest US.
Old 27-08-2008, 04:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

gonzo wrote:
Sounds like you might be on to something. I too had a couple
"volunteers" and the one I dug this morning had a few taters on it.
Not bad for letting it fend for itself all season. I think the
groundhog got most of my main crop, but he hasn't found the volunteers
yet..!

I think I'll try overwintering a couple raised beds and see what
transpires.

Zone 5, Midwest US.

So when do you dig up potatoes? When the tops start to decline a
little, or do you wait until the frost kills them? I planted a bed of
potatoes this year for the first time in about 30 or 40 years and I
don't remember. (I planted them a little late, so the yield may be low
but I don't think that changes when I'm supposed to dig them.)

Bob
Old 27-08-2008, 02:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 22:57:44 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

gonzo wrote:
Sounds like you might be on to something. I too had a couple
"volunteers" and the one I dug this morning had a few taters on it.
Not bad for letting it fend for itself all season. I think the
groundhog got most of my main crop, but he hasn't found the volunteers
yet..!

I think I'll try overwintering a couple raised beds and see what
transpires.

Zone 5, Midwest US.

So when do you dig up potatoes? When the tops start to decline a
little, or do you wait until the frost kills them? I planted a bed of
potatoes this year for the first time in about 30 or 40 years and I
don't remember. (I planted them a little late, so the yield may be low
but I don't think that changes when I'm supposed to dig them.)

Bob

We always dig ours after the tops die back. That's when the tubers
have grown as big as they are going to get.
The yield will depend on the variety you planted. If you planted a
short season variety like Yukon Gold you'll be fine as they only take
about 80 days but, a really long season potato like Russet will take
as long as 135 days.
Even small potatoes are delicious, cooked, then add a bit of butter
and freshly snipped dill.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada.
AgCanada Zone 5b
43º 17' 26.75" North
80º 13' 29.46" West
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

Fall planting: should you fertilize now? Earl Buchan Gardening 0 06-11-2003 04:42 PM
Fall planting: should you fertilize now? - A PlantMan Article. Earl Buchan Gardening 0 27-10-2003 10:12 PM
Fall Planting Aria Edible Gardening 3 10-10-2003 06:32 AM
Fall planting: Four hot tips to help you plan Earl Buchan Gardening 0 28-08-2003 05:42 PM
Planting wildflower seeds in fall animaux Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:08 AM