Old 28-08-2008, 02:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Lumpy zucchini

My zucchini have become lumpy. I'm used to nice smooth fruit so this
is disconcerting. Some are more misshapen than others. They seem to
taste just fine. Has anyone here any idea as to why the zucchini
fruit are lumpy?
Sue
Old 28-08-2008, 04:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Sue wrote:

My zucchini have become lumpy. I'm used to nice smooth fruit so this
is disconcerting. Some are more misshapen than others. They seem to
taste just fine. Has anyone here any idea as to why the zucchini
fruit are lumpy?
Sue

Maybe cross-pollinated with a warty cucumber?
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Old 28-08-2008, 05:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Sue wrote:

My zucchini have become lumpy. I'm used to nice smooth fruit so this
is disconcerting. Some are more misshapen than others. They seem
to taste just fine. Has anyone here any idea as to why the zucchini
fruit are lumpy? Sue

Do you have any catnip blooming nearby?

Bob
Old 28-08-2008, 09:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Sue wrote:

My zucchini have become lumpy. I'm used to nice smooth fruit so this
is disconcerting. Some are more misshapen than others. They seem
to taste just fine. Has anyone here any idea as to why the zucchini
fruit are lumpy? Sue

Do you have any catnip blooming nearby?

Does zucchini not like the mints?
Old 29-08-2008, 01:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Isabella Woodhouse wrote:
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Sue wrote:
My zucchini have become lumpy. I'm used to nice smooth fruit so this
is disconcerting. Some are more misshapen than others. They seem
to taste just fine. Has anyone here any idea as to why the zucchini
fruit are lumpy? Sue

Do you have any catnip blooming nearby?

Does zucchini not like the mints?

Catnip is an alternate host for cucumber mosaic virus, which turns
zucchini warty and lumpy, turns crookneck squash green, and eventually
kill the plant. It's spread by cucumber beetles, and I suspect it's
spread by bees from blooming catnip to blooming squash because my squash
used to get it really bad as soon as the they were blooming the same
time as catnip (catnip is a weed around here). I didn't grow squash for
a couple of years and went on a catnip eradication campaign. Now I can
grow squash again. Catnip still comes up in my yard, but I pull it up.

Peppermint, spearmint, and even catmint don't seem to be a problem.

Bob

Old 29-08-2008, 01:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 11:46:19 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

Sue wrote:

My zucchini have become lumpy. I'm used to nice smooth fruit so this
is disconcerting. Some are more misshapen than others. They seem
to taste just fine. Has anyone here any idea as to why the zucchini
fruit are lumpy? Sue

Do you have any catnip blooming nearby?

Not that I'm aware of. I grew zucchini in the neighboring raised bed
last year and didn't have this problem.
Sue

Bob

Old 29-08-2008, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:50:59 -0500, Isabella Woodhouse
wrote:

In article ,
Sue wrote:

My zucchini have become lumpy. I'm used to nice smooth fruit so this
is disconcerting. Some are more misshapen than others. They seem to
taste just fine. Has anyone here any idea as to why the zucchini
fruit are lumpy?
Sue

Maybe cross-pollinated with a warty cucumber?

No cucumbers. I raised beans and corn along with the zucchini this
year. The insides of the zucchini look just fine - only misshapen.
Sue
Old 29-08-2008, 04:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Isabella Woodhouse wrote:
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Sue wrote:
[...]

Well what do you know? Isn't that a heck of a thing. I had no idea!
I'm glad we have no catnip and that the lemon balm is probably not a
vector.

This year, we used row covers on the zucchini, to prevent bugs and
disease spread, until we were assured of a great crop. I hand
pollinated them (that was easy) until the covers came off. They are
still going strong. Best crop ever.

Isabella

Lumpy lawn Rick Gardening 1 24-05-2004 08:03 PM
Lumpy Things / Black Dots Judi9000 Ponds 2 24-11-2003 04:13 PM
Can someone ID this insect found on my Zucchini? - zucchini pest.jpg Tracey Gardening 1 22-07-2003 06:32 PM
Can someone ID this insect found on my Zucchini? - zucchini pest.jpg (1/1) Some One Gardening 5 22-07-2003 03:42 PM
Lumpy bumpy strawberry's Perk Gardening 4 21-06-2003 01:32 AM