Old 03-09-2008, 03:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Garden Oddity: What the heck is it?: Followup

In article ,
says...
In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article ,
says...

Well the camera made it home but I can't find the darn cable so I can
upload the pics. LOL, it figures. The beans are still growing well
despite those gigantic fungi so I'm not going to sweat it at this busy
time. In fact, I put up another 7# of beans this morning. I sure do
appreciate all the ideas, links and suggestions, though. I had no idea
there were so many kinds of fungi. Good grief it's really amazing.
Thanks again.

I installed a multi-card reader on my aging P4 to get rid of the need
for a cable.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a P4? Is that a type of camera?

Sorry, that's shorthand for Pentium 4 computer.

A card reader or memory card reader is a piece of hardware that plugs
into the computer. You take the memory card out of the camera, plug it
into the reader and can then treat the card like another drive.

I bought a multi-card reader to mount in a drive bay in my computer
because I didn't want to find or fiddle with cables, expend battery
power on long data transfers or worry about wear and tear on the
camera's USB port.

The reader I have looks like this

http://megacomputer.ca/product_info....oducts_id=2250

The external ones that connect to USB are quite variable in shape...
Small ones can fit in a pocket.

I have seen external readers for as little as $5.00 Canadian though the
usual, "You get what you pay for." caveat applies.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

Isabella said:
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a P4? Is that a type of camera?

Sorry, that's shorthand for Pentium 4 computer.

Ah... I see. Sorry, I had no idea. Mac here.

A card reader or memory card reader is a piece of hardware that plugs
into the computer. You take the memory card out of the camera, plug it
into the reader and can then treat the card like another drive.

I bought a multi-card reader to mount in a drive bay in my computer
because I didn't want to find or fiddle with cables, expend battery
power on long data transfers or worry about wear and tear on the
camera's USB port.

The reader I have looks like this

http://megacomputer.ca/product_info....oducts_id=2250

The external ones that connect to USB are quite variable in shape...
Small ones can fit in a pocket.

I have seen external readers for as little as $5.00 Canadian though the
usual, "You get what you pay for." caveat applies.

Thanks ever-so-much for the information. I do have a little card reader
for our little Olympus camera but it's just so much easier to plug the
camera, via USB mini cable, into my Mac where the photos are
auto-uploaded. I generally just leave the cable plugged into one of the
USB ports on my monitor but I think someone yanked it out and ran off
with it. I'm tracking the culprit.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Old 15-09-2008, 06:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
z z is offline

Default Garden Oddity: What the heck is it?

On Aug 28, 4:10*pm, "Marie Dodge" wrote:
"Omelet" wrote in message

news

Mushroom growth is a sign of very healthy soil. *I personally enjoy
seeing them almost as much as wildflowers in all their form and beauty.
:-)

Mushrooms sprouted all over my gardens since the rain 2 days ago. I wish I
knew how to tell the poisonous ones from the ones good to eat.

that's what neighbors are for.

Old 20-09-2008, 05:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Wilson wrote:

sometime in the recent past Isabella Woodhouse posted this:
In article ,
The Cook wrote:

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 11:17:17 -0500, Isabella Woodhouse
wrote:

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article ,
says...

Ah... I see.
Thanks ever-so-much for the information. I do have a little card
reader
for our little Olympus camera but it's just so much easier to plug the
camera, via USB mini cable, into my Mac where the photos are
auto-uploaded. I generally just leave the cable plugged into one of
the
USB ports on my monitor but I think someone yanked it out and ran off
with it. I'm tracking the culprit.
It wouldn't be attached to another computer, would it? :-)
Darn good thought! Thanks I immediately jumped up and went looking
but did not find it on the other computers. I also looked at the back
of mine as well thinking maybe I had used one of the rear USB ports and
forgot about it. Not in the USB hub either. It'll turn up.
Buy another one. Guaranteed to make the other one turn up.

LOL! You are so right.... just like watering the garden to make it rain.

So, Isabella, did you ever find your cord? Still waiting for your pictures
;-)

Nope. I tore my office apart and cannot find it. The fungi got pretty
beat up in the Ike aftermath when a couple of our bean poles fell on
them. But they're still there, apparently not hurting anything since
I'm still getting lots of beans. I've frozen about 60# and do not want
to look at another bean... but I will of course. Looks like I'll have
to buy another mini USB cord.

Isabella
Old 21-09-2008, 07:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook wrote:

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 11:17:17 -0500, Isabella Woodhouse
wrote:

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article ,
says...

Ah... I see.
[...]

I was pretty sure you hadn't posted them, but wanted to check since I dabble
a bit in mushroom identification. 60# of beans, you'll need a little help
eating all them ;-)

--
Wilson N44º39" W67º12"
Old 25-09-2008, 01:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message

news
Mushroom growth is a sign of very healthy soil. *I personally enjoy
seeing them almost as much as wildflowers in all their form and beauty.
:-)

Mushrooms sprouted all over my gardens since the rain 2 days ago. I wish I
knew how to tell the poisonous ones from the ones good to eat.

that's what neighbors are for.

We had someone die recently when they picked the wrong kind of mushrooms.
By the time you start to hurt, your liver is destroyed. Don't even think
about it unless you're an expert - and have a good life insurance policy.
Old 25-09-2008, 02:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message

news Mushroom growth is a sign of very healthy soil. *I personally enjoy
seeing them almost as much as wildflowers in all their form and beauty.
:-)
Mushrooms sprouted all over my gardens since the rain 2 days ago. I wish I
knew how to tell the poisonous ones from the ones good to eat.

that's what neighbors are for.

We had someone die recently when they picked the wrong kind of mushrooms.
By the time you start to hurt, your liver is destroyed. Don't even think
about it unless you're an expert - and have a good life insurance policy.

Or access to a liver transplant. :-(

Massive doses of milk thistle are supposed to help somewhat, or so I've
read on the 'net when I was researching that supplement.

I know alcoholics that use it to keep their liver in shape. I use it as
an immune system booster (and it works better than vitamin C for cold
alleviation).

There is a reason it's a popular supplement.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain

Another S. African oddity -- Larryleachia? Malcolm Manners Plant Science 1 17-10-2005 12:17 PM
Question about a garden beetle (what the heck is it?) Gardening 0 30-05-2005 01:31 AM
Shubunkin Oddity George Ponds 5 18-04-2005 11:34 PM
magpie oddity? dunno never seen this before len gardener Australia 11 27-10-2004 12:40 AM
An Oddity Iris Cohen Plant Science 8 26-04-2003 01:28 PM