Old 01-09-2008, 11:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default When should my tree start producing fruit?

Hi all,

I planted a grafted tree (of nectarine, peach and plum) in my back
yard in approximately March last year.
(I'm in Australia).

In Winter the tree lost all its leaves and produced beautiful flowers,
and I was happy to see the tree grow at such speed.

It's now approximately 2 meters tall (or 7"), and whilst some of the
flowers are still there, some have either fallen or blown off, new
leaves are starting to come out, and one of the grafts has neither
flowers nor leaves left in it.
Perhaps it's still too cold for that particular graft to start putting
out leaves yet....

In any case, when should these trees begin to produce fruit?
Should I expect something this year? I've never really grown any
fruits or vegetables before, so I have no idea what to expect .....
When do fruit normally appear in stone fruit trees?
Old 02-09-2008, 05:41 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
[...]

Ivan, unless there were plenty of insects about to pollinate your tree,
you would have to do it by hand, a very soft paintbrush or coney tail
is ideal. You will also have to be sure they get enough water, peaches
in particular need quite a lot. I don't know if peach leaf curl is a problem
in Oz, but if it is you will have to spray twice a year.
With luck you might get some fruit next year, once the roots have got a
firm hold.