Old 06-09-2008, 04:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Why Heirloom Tomatoes??

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

We are close to Mexico and our local store sells some tomatoes that are
"on the vine" (and they really are!) Tomatoes still attached to the vine.

Our groceries have those too. They look like Jet Stars but our regular
grocery has a very bad habit of chilling the tomatoes and ruining the
taste of even the decent tomatoes. When you cut them open, you can see
that line around the circumference that indicates they've been held at
too low a temperature. There are other problems too. They order far
too much produce and it often sits until its rotten on the inside. Ugh!
I have to be very careful. A somewhat close Whole Foods opened recently
so I might be able to get better ones there.

Perhaps... but I've done best at the farmers market when I can attend.
I seldom shop at Whole Paycheck. Sun Harvest is just as good, and more
reasonable price-wise.

Must be chemistry as those are actually decent. If the price gets too
high, I, too, will use canned, even on tacos!

I sometimes used canned diced tomatoes in salsa. Brands vary a lot.

Meh, I use generic. I have noted that canned tomatoes at least have
decent flavor. :-)

I did grow a pair of tomatoes last winter in my greenhouse and it sorta
worked. I had a few ripe tomatoes in early March, but I had to make
sure I paid attention to the plants and hand-pollinated the flowers.

I was doing that with cucumbers before we uncovered them. The zucchini
were far easier...lol.

So long as you get male and female blooms at the same time! :-)

Been there, done that.

For some reason, there is always a rash of male only blooms at the
beginning of the season. Fortunately, I LIKE stuffed squash blossoms! ;-d

Deep fried... Mmmmmm.

I am wondering if there is a good way to store some of that pollen, and
have it be viable.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Old 06-09-2008, 05:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 10:56:22 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

[...]

I was out just this morning helping the zucchini to commit lewd and
lascivious acts. Lots of boys, not so many girls. Some of the boys
got left out. (
Sue

Old 06-09-2008, 06:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Sue wrote:

I did grow a pair of tomatoes last winter in my greenhouse and it sorta
worked. I had a few ripe tomatoes in early March, but I had to make
sure I paid attention to the plants and hand-pollinated the flowers.

I was doing that with cucumbers before we uncovered them. The zucchini
were far easier...lol.

So long as you get male and female blooms at the same time! :-)

Been there, done that.

I was out just this morning helping the zucchini to commit lewd and
lascivious acts. Lots of boys, not so many girls. Some of the boys
got left out. (
Sue

lol Not enough girls! Oh well! ;-D

I wonder if there is a soil treatment for that?
Halfway seriously. g

Old 06-09-2008, 07:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 12:42:15 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
Sue wrote:

I did grow a pair of tomatoes last winter in my greenhouse and it sorta
worked. I had a few ripe tomatoes in early March, but I had to make
sure I paid attention to the plants and hand-pollinated the flowers.

I was doing that with cucumbers before we uncovered them. The zucchini
were far easier...lol.

So long as you get male and female blooms at the same time! :-)

Been there, done that.

I was out just this morning helping the zucchini to commit lewd and
lascivious acts. Lots of boys, not so many girls. Some of the boys
got left out. (
Sue

lol Not enough girls! Oh well! ;-D

Occasionally I've found a girl who was such a trollop that she was
willing to accept the pollen from lots of the boys. You oughta see
her batting her petals at them. Disgraceful!!! tch tch. ;o)
Sue

Old 06-09-2008, 07:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Sue wrote:

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 12:42:15 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
Sue wrote:

[...]

ROFL!!! I've seen Corn Silk like that...

Old 07-09-2008, 03:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

We are close to Mexico and our local store sells some tomatoes that are
"on the vine" (and they really are!) Tomatoes still attached to the vine.

Our groceries have those too. They look like Jet Stars but our regular
grocery has a very bad habit of chilling the tomatoes and ruining the
taste of even the decent tomatoes. When you cut them open, you can see
that line around the circumference that indicates they've been held at
too low a temperature. There are other problems too. They order far
too much produce and it often sits until its rotten on the inside. Ugh!
I have to be very careful. A somewhat close Whole Foods opened recently
so I might be able to get better ones there.

Perhaps... but I've done best at the farmers market when I can attend.
I seldom shop at Whole Paycheck. Sun Harvest is just as good, and more
reasonable price-wise.

You're lucky you live in a region that has a farmers market operational
in the winter. Our markets are barely what you'd call "Farmer's" let
alone winter operational. In the summer, we get most of our produce
from the garden so I don't need a farmer's market then. Never heard of
Sun Harvest. Is that a competitor?

I find lots of things competitively priced or better at Whole Foods, and
some not--- especially meat. I think it really depends what kinds of
foods you buy (or are forced to buy, like gluten-free for instance) and
local grocery store pricing. I don't shop there exclusively... far from
it.
[...]
For some reason, there is always a rash of male only blooms at the
beginning of the season. Fortunately, I LIKE stuffed squash blossoms! ;-d
Deep fried... Mmmmmm.

I am wondering if there is a good way to store some of that pollen, and
have it be viable.

Gosh I have no idea about the pollen. I harvest the male zucchini
blossoms most late afternoons and use them for dinner. When there are
enough at one time, I batter and deep-fry them as well as zucchini
spears. Far more often, they get sauteed and mixed in with something
else or chopped over a salad or other dish--- especially a zucchini
stir-fry.

How I wish I lived in a cool enough climate to grow nasturtiums. I just
love them in salads.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Old 07-09-2008, 04:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

Never heard of
Sun Harvest. Is that a competitor?

Yes, and a common one around here. They have a lot of organic and bulk
foods, and some _killer_ sales. :-)

I find lots of things competitively priced or better at Whole Foods, and
some not--- especially meat. I think it really depends what kinds of
foods you buy (or are forced to buy, like gluten-free for instance) and
local grocery store pricing. I don't shop there exclusively... far from
it.

I can't eat wheat either. Sun Harvest sells some most excellent corn
and rice pasta! I like the corn better. Deboles brand:

http://tinyurl.com/6qenfa

I am wondering if there is a good way to store some of that pollen, and
have it be viable.

Gosh I have no idea about the pollen. I harvest the male zucchini
blossoms most late afternoons and use them for dinner. When there are
enough at one time, I batter and deep-fry them as well as zucchini
spears. Far more often, they get sauteed and mixed in with something
else or chopped over a salad or other dish--- especially a zucchini
stir-fry.

I'd not tried them chopped as a salad ingredient. :-)
Mom and I always fixed them stuffed and fried.

How I wish I lived in a cool enough climate to grow nasturtiums. I just
love them in salads.

Isabella

They grow fast, try growing them seasonally. I can grow them in the
late winter/early spring but then when it gets hot, they do die off.
I've not tried potting them and keeping them in the shade tho'.

Pretty plants!

I just wish Lantana was edible. It's drought resistant so I use a lot
of it for landscaping. With all the rain we had a couple of weeks ago,
my Dallas Reds are blooming their lovely heads off right now!

http://i28.tinypic.com/16945yf.jpg

I need to take pics of the ones in the driveway garden. Some of those
are turning blood red when they mature. :-)

Old 07-09-2008, 04:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 13:08:31 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
Sue wrote:

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 12:42:15 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
Sue wrote:

[...]

Ach!!! Those brazen tassel twirlers!!
Sue

Old 08-09-2008, 04:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

Never heard of
Sun Harvest. Is that a competitor?

Yes, and a common one around here. They have a lot of organic and bulk
foods, and some _killer_ sales. :-)

Competition is good.

I find lots of things competitively priced or better at Whole Foods, and
some not--- especially meat. I think it really depends what kinds of
foods you buy (or are forced to buy, like gluten-free for instance) and
local grocery store pricing. I don't shop there exclusively... far from
it.

I can't eat wheat either. Sun Harvest sells some most excellent corn
and rice pasta! I like the corn better. Deboles brand:

http://tinyurl.com/6qenfa

Not my cup of tea. Last time I had it, it was awfully grainy and
coarse. Tell me it's improved and I'll try it again. I prefer the
Tinkyada rice pasta... most of which I get via Amazon.

I am wondering if there is a good way to store some of that pollen, and
have it be viable.

[...]
How I wish I lived in a cool enough climate to grow nasturtiums. I just
love them in salads.

They grow fast, try growing them seasonally. I can grow them in the
late winter/early spring but then when it gets hot, they do die off.
I've not tried potting them and keeping them in the shade tho'.

Pretty plants!

Eighty percent of the time, we go almost straight from winter to summer
with almost no spring (DH often plants the peas at the end of February).
But I will certainly give that a try. In Ohio, I had gorgeous
nasturtiums and great salads. Mmmm... the texture of the leaves is
so choice.

I just wish Lantana was edible. It's drought resistant so I use a lot
of it for landscaping. With all the rain we had a couple of weeks ago,
my Dallas Reds are blooming their lovely heads off right now!

http://i28.tinypic.com/16945yf.jpg

Lovely!

I need to take pics of the ones in the driveway garden. Some of those
are turning blood red when they mature. :-)

Our Butterfly bushes are still blooming strong (among others). What a
great long-season bloomer--- and so fragrant too. It looks like we'll
have some Autumn Joy this year. The zappers have, so far, kept the darn
deer away from it. They just love those succulents.

Isabella

Old 08-09-2008, 07:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

Never heard of
Sun Harvest. Is that a competitor?

Yes, and a common one around here. They have a lot of organic and bulk
foods, and some _killer_ sales. :-)

Competition is good.

Absolutely!

I find lots of things competitively priced or better at Whole Foods, and
some not--- especially meat. I think it really depends what kinds of
foods you buy (or are forced to buy, like gluten-free for instance) and
local grocery store pricing. I don't shop there exclusively... far from
it.

I can't eat wheat either. Sun Harvest sells some most excellent corn
and rice pasta! I like the corn better. Deboles brand:

http://tinyurl.com/6qenfa

Not my cup of tea. Last time I had it, it was awfully grainy and
coarse. Tell me it's improved and I'll try it again. I prefer the
Tinkyada rice pasta... most of which I get via Amazon.

Huh. I'll have to check that out. I don't eat a lot of pasta as I live
low carb for the most part.

How I wish I lived in a cool enough climate to grow nasturtiums. I just
love them in salads.

They grow fast, try growing them seasonally. I can grow them in the
late winter/early spring but then when it gets hot, they do die off.
I've not tried potting them and keeping them in the shade tho'.

Pretty plants!

Eighty percent of the time, we go almost straight from winter to summer
with almost no spring (DH often plants the peas at the end of February).
But I will certainly give that a try. In Ohio, I had gorgeous
nasturtiums and great salads. Mmmm... the texture of the leaves is
so choice.

Have you tried just shading them, or growing them as an indoor plant?

I just wish Lantana was edible. It's drought resistant so I use a lot
of it for landscaping. With all the rain we had a couple of weeks ago,
my Dallas Reds are blooming their lovely heads off right now!

http://i28.tinypic.com/16945yf.jpg

Lovely!

I like them and they save me on water for landscaping. I also want to
put in more rosemary. The city uses that a lot for the same reason. That
and various salvias.

I need to take pics of the ones in the driveway garden. Some of those
are turning blood red when they mature. :-)

Our Butterfly bushes are still blooming strong (among others). What a
great long-season bloomer--- and so fragrant too. It looks like we'll
have some Autumn Joy this year. The zappers have, so far, kept the darn
deer away from it. They just love those succulents.

Isabella

I bought a butterfly bush but it's still in it's pot. I'm re-doing the
landscaping in front of the front porch. The only rosebushes that live
for me are climbing blazes. I need to tame the beast and put her on a
trellis. g

There is a Crepe myrtle to one side that blooms all year. I'm trying to
keep that one pruned into a tree.

My cannas used to bloom all year but water is getting more expensive so
I don't water them enough anymore. I plan to dig them all up and put
them into a smaller raised bed, then plant spineless cacti in their
spot. I have some San Pedro in the greenhouse, and will also use some
of the local spineless prickly pear.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
.

I can't eat wheat either. Sun Harvest sells some most excellent corn
and rice pasta! I like the corn better. Deboles brand:

http://tinyurl.com/6qenfa

Not my cup of tea. Last time I had it, it was awfully grainy and
coarse. Tell me it's improved and I'll try it again. I prefer the
Tinkyada rice pasta... most of which I get via Amazon.

Huh. I'll have to check that out. I don't eat a lot of pasta as I live
low carb for the most part.

With celiac and thyroid, my diet already has enough restrictions so I
don't do strict low-carbing though I do pay strong attention to the
glycemic index of foods. I restrict pasta to once weekly or less,
potatoes even less often, and my DH and I hardly ever have baked goods
or bread. BLTs with the fabulous tomatoes in late summer are an
exception--- mine on rice bread of course. My daughter eats everything
OTOH. I've always been fond of Julia's 'everything in moderation'
advice and, more recently, Michael Pollan's: "Eat food, mostly plants,
not too much" advice.

Eighty percent of the time, we go almost straight from winter to summer
with almost no spring (DH often plants the peas at the end of February).
But I will certainly give that a try. In Ohio, I had gorgeous
nasturtiums and great salads. Mmmm... the texture of the leaves is
so choice.

Have you tried just shading them, or growing them as an indoor plant?

Shade doesn't work. I think maybe they like cool nights and, with the
exception of this unusual summer, our July and August nights usually
stay in the 80s, rarely dipping below 78 degrees. We have low-E glazing
throughout this house so plants don't do as well indoors. It's
challenging just to get my rosemary to survive the winter indoors. But,
it's worth a try for nasturtiums.

I need to take pics of the ones in the driveway garden. Some of those
are turning blood red when they mature. :-)

Our Butterfly bushes are still blooming strong (among others). What a
great long-season bloomer--- and so fragrant too. It looks like we'll
have some Autumn Joy this year. The zappers have, so far, kept the darn
deer away from it. They just love those succulents.

I bought a butterfly bush but it's still in it's pot. I'm re-doing the
landscaping in front of the front porch. The only rosebushes that live
for me are climbing blazes. I need to tame the beast and put her on a
trellis. g

Isn't that a rambler? What about bourbons and teas? Or do they need a
lot of humidity? Only a few bourbons will grow easily here, even on
their own roots.

There is a Crepe myrtle to one side that blooms all year. I'm trying to
keep that one pruned into a tree.

Ours get nipped back sometimes by cold weather and survive mainly as
bushes.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

Huh. I'll have to check that out. I don't eat a lot of pasta as I live
low carb for the most part.

With celiac and thyroid, my diet already has enough restrictions so I
don't do strict low-carbing though I do pay strong attention to the
glycemic index of foods. I restrict pasta to once weekly or less,
potatoes even less often, and my DH and I hardly ever have baked goods
or bread. BLTs with the fabulous tomatoes in late summer are an
exception--- mine on rice bread of course. My daughter eats everything
OTOH. I've always been fond of Julia's 'everything in moderation'
advice and, more recently, Michael Pollan's: "Eat food, mostly plants,
not too much" advice.

Sounds good. :-) I'm also hypothyroid, and insulin resistant.

Interestingly enough, the dietary restrictions I ended up with actually
netted me a MORE varied diet! I started branching out and trying new
things.

I'm now in love with the asian market.

Eighty percent of the time, we go almost straight from winter to summer
with almost no spring (DH often plants the peas at the end of February).
But I will certainly give that a try. In Ohio, I had gorgeous
nasturtiums and great salads. Mmmm... the texture of the leaves is
so choice.

Have you tried just shading them, or growing them as an indoor plant?

Shade doesn't work. I think maybe they like cool nights and, with the
exception of this unusual summer, our July and August nights usually
stay in the 80s, rarely dipping below 78 degrees. We have low-E glazing
throughout this house so plants don't do as well indoors. It's
challenging just to get my rosemary to survive the winter indoors. But,
it's worth a try for nasturtiums.

Well, they do mature rather quickly! It's one of the things I love about
them. You may be able to at least grow them seasonally.

I need to take pics of the ones in the driveway garden. Some of those
are turning blood red when they mature. :-)

Our Butterfly bushes are still blooming strong (among others). What a
great long-season bloomer--- and so fragrant too. It looks like we'll
have some Autumn Joy this year. The zappers have, so far, kept the darn
deer away from it. They just love those succulents.

I bought a butterfly bush but it's still in it's pot. I'm re-doing the
landscaping in front of the front porch. The only rosebushes that live
for me are climbing blazes. I need to tame the beast and put her on a
trellis. g

Isn't that a rambler?

Only if I let it. g

What about bourbons and teas? Or do they need a
lot of humidity? Only a few bourbons will grow easily here, even on
their own roots.

I should put in another climbing peace. We had that one for several
years and it smelled heavenly and produced large, showy blooms.

There is a Crepe myrtle to one side that blooms all year. I'm trying to
keep that one pruned into a tree.

Ours get nipped back sometimes by cold weather and survive mainly as
bushes.

They are pretty tough.

Where are you? I'm in central Texas, Austin area.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

Huh. I'll have to check that out. I don't eat a lot of pasta as I live
low carb for the most part.

With celiac and thyroid, my diet already has enough restrictions so I
don't do strict low-carbing though I do pay strong attention to the
glycemic index of foods. I restrict pasta to once weekly or less,
potatoes even less often, and my DH and I hardly ever have baked goods
or bread. BLTs with the fabulous tomatoes in late summer are an
exception--- mine on rice bread of course. My daughter eats everything
OTOH. I've always been fond of Julia's 'everything in moderation'
advice and, more recently, Michael Pollan's: "Eat food, mostly plants,
not too much" advice.

Sounds good. :-) I'm also hypothyroid, and insulin resistant.

The autoimmune spectrum now affects a very significant portion of the
population. Scary. Have you read _Dangerous Grains_?

Interestingly enough, the dietary restrictions I ended up with actually
netted me a MORE varied diet! I started branching out and trying new
things. I'm now in love with the asian market.

Asian cooking taught me to make up dishes on the fly. I consider the
stir-fry one of the all-time great cooking methods because you can stir
fry practically anything. And what a boon for those of us with our own
edible gardens. However, I do miss eating out at Chinese restaurants
since it's nearly impossible to get anything that is gluten free.
[...]
There is a Crepe myrtle to one side that blooms all year. I'm trying to
keep that one pruned into a tree.

Ours get nipped back sometimes by cold weather and survive mainly as
bushes.

They are pretty tough.

Where are you? I'm in central Texas, Austin area.

30+ miles due west of St. Louis. Zone 6. I see you're 8. Big
difference!
Old 11-09-2008, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

Sounds good. :-) I'm also hypothyroid, and insulin resistant.

The autoimmune spectrum now affects a very significant portion of the
population. Scary. Have you read _Dangerous Grains_?

No, do tell?

I understand that "modern wheat" is a hybrid of Spelt. And not any near
as healthy...

Interestingly enough, the dietary restrictions I ended up with actually
netted me a MORE varied diet! I started branching out and trying new
things. I'm now in love with the asian market.

Asian cooking taught me to make up dishes on the fly.

Ditto! g

I consider the
stir-fry one of the all-time great cooking methods because you can stir
fry practically anything. And what a boon for those of us with our own
edible gardens. However, I do miss eating out at Chinese restaurants
since it's nearly impossible to get anything that is gluten free.

I appear to be ok with that for the most part. We rarely eat out at all
any more.

I'm a better cook. g
And it saves money.

Where are you? I'm in central Texas, Austin area.

30+ miles due west of St. Louis. Zone 6. I see you're 8. Big
difference!

Huh. I must confess to not being too knowledgeable about zones. :-(
I feel ignorant and have never paid much attention to them. I understand
the concept ok.

I just know what I can grow, and what I can't, and what works in the
greenhouses I have.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain

Why ? Why ? Why? David Hill United Kingdom 15 29-08-2014 06:18 PM
Heirloom tomatoes. RR Edible Gardening 5 16-08-2005 01:05 PM
Heirloom tomatoes Melba's Jammin' Edible Gardening 5 15-08-2005 06:08 PM
Source of heirloom tomatoes Victor Martinez Texas 21 24-02-2004 06:11 PM
Source of heirloom tomatoes Victor Martinez Texas 0 21-02-2004 02:27 PM