Old 12-09-2008, 04:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Why Heirloom Tomatoes??

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

The autoimmune spectrum now affects a very significant portion of the
population. Scary. Have you read _Dangerous Grains_?

No, do tell?
I understand that "modern wheat" is a hybrid of Spelt. And not any near
as healthy...

Spelt has the same gluten (gliadin, etc) molecules as any triticum
species including modern wheat & rye. For people with celiac or true
gluten intolerance, it's all the same poison.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Old 12-09-2008, 03:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

The autoimmune spectrum now affects a very significant portion of the
population. Scary. Have you read _Dangerous Grains_?

No, do tell?
I understand that "modern wheat" is a hybrid of Spelt. And not any near
as healthy...

Spelt has the same gluten (gliadin, etc) molecules as any triticum
species including modern wheat & rye. For people with celiac or true
gluten intolerance, it's all the same poison.

Isabella

As are Oats and Barley.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Old 13-09-2008, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

The autoimmune spectrum now affects a very significant portion of the
population. Scary. Have you read _Dangerous Grains_?

No, do tell?
I understand that "modern wheat" is a hybrid of Spelt. And not any near
as healthy...

Spelt has the same gluten (gliadin, etc) molecules as any triticum
species including modern wheat & rye. For people with celiac or true
gluten intolerance, it's all the same poison.

As are Oats and Barley.

The jury is still out on oats since they do not contain gliadin. But it
does contain a different gluten molecule to which some people with
celiac respond. Some say oats not contaminated with wheat are OK but
I'm not willing to take the risk with any oats. I was unsure whether
barley had the same kind of gluten molecules as the triticums. Barley
may have the other kind of gluten called glutenin or something like
that... not sure.

Isabella
Old 13-09-2008, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

[...]

I've never actually reacted to Barley, at least not in the past...

but I tend to stick to rice now. There are so many varieties. :-) I
don't use white rice at all. Just brown and varieties of red and black.

The asian market has never been so fun. g

I have some chicken foot stock I'm planning to make some rice with
probably this weekend, as soon as the 15 bean soup is gone that I made
with ham skin stock. Dad's really enjoying it, and I'm glad! He can use
the fiber load.

Since I cook for him, I keep track of what he eats. Care and feeding of
an elderly parent is a big responsibility and fortunately, he likes my
cooking.

I'm considering deboning some of the chicken feet and pureeing them to
add, but it might make the rice a bit too rubbery when it's cold. g

I'm using chicken foot "meat" right now to help heal degenerative disk
disease and arthritis. That and trotters. The type II collagen they
contain seems to be keeping the pain at bay if I eat enough of it, and
am consistent. It just took awhile at first.

Thank the gods for good chiropractors...

Old 13-09-2008, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

[...]
The jury is still out on oats since they do not contain gliadin. But it
does contain a different gluten molecule to which some people with
celiac respond. Some say oats not contaminated with wheat are OK but
I'm not willing to take the risk with any oats. I was unsure whether
barley had the same kind of gluten molecules as the triticums. Barley
may have the other kind of gluten called glutenin or something like
that... not sure.

I've never actually reacted to Barley, at least not in the past...

Wheat allergy is it then?

but I tend to stick to rice now. There are so many varieties. :-) I
don't use white rice at all. Just brown and varieties of red and black.

The asian market has never been so fun. g

Needless to say, rice figures big on our menu as well, though in the
summer we rarely have it since there is so much from the garden. About
the only white rice I ever have is with sushi. I've heard you can make
it with a brown sticky rice but I've never found it. I put wild rice
(from Minnesota) in lots of things as well, including some winter salads.

I have some chicken foot stock I'm planning to make some rice with
probably this weekend, as soon as the 15 bean soup is gone that I made
with ham skin stock. Dad's really enjoying it, and I'm glad! He can use
the fiber load.

Ruth Reichl has a wonderful part in her _Garlic and Sapphires_ book,
when she was the NYT restaurant critic, about eating duck webs at a
Chinese restaurant.

Since I cook for him, I keep track of what he eats. Care and feeding
of an elderly parent is a big responsibility and fortunately, he
likes my cooking. I'm considering deboning some of the chicken feet
and pureeing them to add, but it might make the rice a bit too
rubbery when it's cold. g

I'm using chicken foot "meat" right now to help heal degenerative
disk disease and arthritis. That and trotters. The type II collagen
they contain seems to be keeping the pain at bay if I eat enough of
it, and am consistent. It just took awhile at first.

Thank the gods for good chiropractors...

You're doing an anti-inflammatory diet then?

Old 14-09-2008, 05:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

that... not sure.

I've never actually reacted to Barley, at least not in the past...

Wheat allergy is it then?

Seems to be... altho' I can tolerate ramen pasta if I limit the
quantity. :-) Bread makes me the sickest of all.

And it shoots my glucose levels up too. :-(

but I tend to stick to rice now. There are so many varieties. :-) I
don't use white rice at all. Just brown and varieties of red and black.

The asian market has never been so fun. g

Needless to say, rice figures big on our menu as well, though in the
summer we rarely have it since there is so much from the garden. About
the only white rice I ever have is with sushi. I've heard you can make
it with a brown sticky rice but I've never found it. I put wild rice
(from Minnesota) in lots of things as well, including some winter salads.

Did not know there was brown "sticky rice", but the glutinous red rice
might work. I rarely buy it tho' because it dyes anything you add to it
red. g Some of the black rices color everything dark purple!

I have some chicken foot stock I'm planning to make some rice with
probably this weekend, as soon as the 15 bean soup is gone that I made
with ham skin stock. Dad's really enjoying it, and I'm glad! He can use
the fiber load.

Ruth Reichl has a wonderful part in her _Garlic and Sapphires_ book,
when she was the NYT restaurant critic, about eating duck webs at a
Chinese restaurant.

lol The asian market sells duck feet. I have eaten them, but only
from ducks we had raised ourselves and home processed. I used to raise
muscovies. Mom taught me years ago how to blanch and peel feet.

We tried it with emu feet, but only once. The flavor was "undesirable".

I'm wishing I could get turkey feet. :-( I'd probably have to find a
processing plant for that. Not sure where the closest one is.

Since I cook for him, I keep track of what he eats. Care and feeding
of an elderly parent is a big responsibility and fortunately, he
likes my cooking. I'm considering deboning some of the chicken feet
and pureeing them to add, but it might make the rice a bit too
rubbery when it's cold. g

I'm using chicken foot "meat" right now to help heal degenerative
disk disease and arthritis. That and trotters. The type II collagen
they contain seems to be keeping the pain at bay if I eat enough of
it, and am consistent. It just took awhile at first.

Thank the gods for good chiropractors...

You're doing an anti-inflammatory diet then?

More or less... More of a "high collagen" diet. :-) I don't have
rheumatoid. It's degenerative.

I've done some searches on the web tho' and it appears the consumption
of what they are calling Type II collagen is having some real impact as
an alternative therapy for both Osteo and rheumatoid arthritis.

Chicken collagen has 10 times the bioavailability of shark cartilage!

Old 14-09-2008, 06:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

I'm using chicken foot "meat" right now to help heal degenerative
disk disease and arthritis. That and trotters. The type II collagen
they contain seems to be keeping the pain at bay if I eat enough of
it, and am consistent. It just took awhile at first.

Thank the gods for good chiropractors...

You're doing an anti-inflammatory diet then?

More or less... More of a "high collagen" diet. :-) I don't have
rheumatoid. It's degenerative.

I've done some searches on the web tho' and it appears the consumption
of what they are calling Type II collagen is having some real impact as
an alternative therapy for both Osteo and rheumatoid arthritis.

Chicken collagen has 10 times the bioavailability of shark cartilage!

Would you share that research?

Old 14-09-2008, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Food for arthritis etc. (was Why Heirloom Tomatoes??)

In article ss,
"gunner" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

I'm using chicken foot "meat" right now to help heal degenerative
disk disease and arthritis. That and trotters. The type II collagen
they contain seems to be keeping the pain at bay if I eat enough of
it, and am consistent. It just took awhile at first.

Thank the gods for good chiropractors...

You're doing an anti-inflammatory diet then?

More or less... More of a "high collagen" diet. :-) I don't have
rheumatoid. It's degenerative.

I've done some searches on the web tho' and it appears the consumption
of what they are calling Type II collagen is having some real impact as
an alternative therapy for both Osteo and rheumatoid arthritis.

Chicken collagen has 10 times the bioavailability of shark cartilage!

Would you share that research?

Google for "Chicken collagen for Arthritis".

Here are the links I had stored:

http://www.bodyandfitness.com/Inform...rch/collagen.h
tm

http://www.truestarhealth.com/members/cm_archives07ML4P1A2.html

http://www.springboard4health.com/bo...ollagen_typeII.
html

My personal findings...

After 4 weeks of regularly consuming both chicken feet and trotters
(pigs feet), my pain from the issues with my back was considerably less.
I quit eating them for about 2 weeks (got bored) and had a serious
relapse. I could not hardly even sleep due to the pain. :-( I refuse to
take opiates even tho' they were offered.

I got back into it for 3 more weeks and right now, as of last Wednesday
night, I'm not entirely pain free, but it's toned down to a bearable
level. ;-)

And since I'm trying to lose weight using a low carb diet, it's a cheap
source of protein for the most part. Trotters run around $1.04 per lb.
and chicken feet are costing me around $1.49 per lb. I'm consuming 2 to
4 lbs. per week.

It's making a believer out of me and has had three other benefits. My
skin tone is improving drastically, as is the appearance and strength of
my fingernails. I also tend to get a lot of hair thinning on top of my
head when I'm losing weight and that is not happening this time. ;-)
I've lost 20 lbs. since the end of May 2008. I'm 46.

If you find trotters and chicken feet to be unappealing, (I totally
understand the concept of food appearance), just debone them and make
the meat and stock into soup. It helps.

I use a pressure cooker. Chicken feet need to be pressured for 45
minutes. Trotters, one hour. Braising will take longer. They need to be
cooked until all the connective tissue turns into jelly.

I've not yet explored calves feet for my personal issues, but calves
foot Jelly (recipes can be googled) appear to help my 76 year old dad
with energy levels and memory issues.

Anecdotal of course, but it works for us, and he loves the stuff.

The concept I think is eating cuts of "meat" that are high in collagen
and connective tissue. Skin, ligaments, tendons and cartilage.

History: I took a very bad fall the end of April 2008 and have had a
lot of pain since then. X-rays showed a 16 degree scoliosis of the
lumbar spine and advanced Degenerative disk disease. The last two disks
of the lower lumbar spine are essentially gone. The Scolisis is causing
a tilt to the Sacral plate and pelvis.

It's like a runaway case of Sciatica from hell..

The Osteopath and the Chiropractor both recommended swimming and and
inversion table. The rest I've done on my own. g I'm swimming 20 laps
4 days per week and using the inversion table intermittently.

The high collagen diet seems to be helping more than anything, and a
good chiro' (I got references before choosing one) is worth their weight
in gold. I've also purchased a muscle stim' unit after getting some
treatments using one at the Chiro's office. It's the gods...

Old 14-09-2008, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ss,
"gunner" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

[...]

Thanks Om, the first link is no longer available but I will read the rest as
well as all your posts here.

thanks

Old 14-09-2008, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"gunner" wrote:

The high collagen diet seems to be helping more than anything, and a
good chiro' (I got references before choosing one) is worth their weight
in gold. I've also purchased a muscle stim' unit after getting some
treatments using one at the Chiro's office. It's the gods...

Thanks Om, the first link is no longer available but I will read the rest as
well as all your posts here.

thanks

Sorry about that. I did check it before posting so it must have just
gone down. :-(

Hope the rest helps.

I literally feel your pain if you are having similar issues!

I'm happy to post recipes for the stuff if needed, but some people just
can't stand the texture. Fortunately, I happen to like it but individual
tastes vary!

Standard stock aromatics. Onion, garlic, carrot, celery, lemon peel,
ginger root, pepper.

Salt to taste.

Cheers...

Old 15-09-2008, 05:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

that... not sure.

I've never actually reacted to Barley, at least not in the past...

Wheat allergy is it then?

Seems to be... altho' I can tolerate ramen pasta if I limit the
quantity. :-) Bread makes me the sickest of all.

And it shoots my glucose levels up too. :-(

I do hope you've had a screening TTG done--- though false negatives are
not unusual if you're not consuming much gluten.

Isabella
Old 15-09-2008, 07:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

that... not sure.

I've never actually reacted to Barley, at least not in the past...

Wheat allergy is it then?

Seems to be... altho' I can tolerate ramen pasta if I limit the
quantity. :-) Bread makes me the sickest of all.

And it shoots my glucose levels up too. :-(

I do hope you've had a screening TTG done--- though false negatives are
not unusual if you're not consuming much gluten.

Isabella

Glucose Tolerance Test?

We've pretty much done away with those and use the HA1C test instead.
My A1C level runs around 5.5 to 5.6. Normal is max of 6.5. :-)

I'm not a type II diabetic yet, but I'm trying to head there. It's why
I'm being so careful with my diet. Starch (and sugar) have been
relegated to "treat" status.

Old 15-09-2008, 08:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

I've never actually reacted to Barley, at least not in the past...

Wheat allergy is it then?

Seems to be... altho' I can tolerate ramen pasta if I limit the
quantity. :-) Bread makes me the sickest of all.

And it shoots my glucose levels up too. :-(

I do hope you've had a screening TTG done--- though false negatives are
not unusual if you're not consuming much gluten.

Glucose Tolerance Test?

Gluten, not glucose. TTG is "tissue transglutaminase"--- a screening
test to check the seriousness of gluten sensitivity, if you've not had
it. Health problems you have mentioned are often (but not always)
correlated with celiac, especially when occurring in clusters. The
extremely high risk of T-cell lymphoma makes it essential to know for
sure (and that is why I even mention this at all). Most people with
celiac-type gluten sensitivity are sensitive to all forms of gluten in
wheat, barley and rye, and sometimes oats as well. However, the effects
do not always manifest themselves consistently until an incredible
amount of damage is done to both the digestive and immune systems in
affected persons. Here is a brief article by Andrew Weil:

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02955/Celiac-Disease.html

Isabella
Old 16-09-2008, 04:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"gunner" wrote:

[...]

I'm way too young to be so damned old. Years of living with my house on my
back has caught up, still trying to figure out what type. done all the
therapy protocols except for the gold so far. Thank god for prednisone and
vicodin, but awaiting to see what that lapdance is going to cost me.
Tapering now and it is returning.

Interesting study, different than what I thought it would be, still like to
see larger studies and more peer review. Just read a study where knee
surgery don't relieve the pain anymore than exercise except in joint
replacement, but I read the 10 year warranty on that is just for parts and
doesn't cover additional diagnostics and labor costs and most likely ya
still have to replace it. So I will not get the entire front end replaced
quite yet but will do some adjustments later this month.

The thought of feet/hooves is not particularly appealing but I can go with
hocks/oxtails to get the collagen, just not in a glue pot kinda way. going
to have to come up w/ a recipe with hocks, cabbage, ginger, peppers and
turmeric, an Asian meal start already.

Thank again Om

Old 16-09-2008, 04:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

[...]

Ah! Thanks. ;-)

No, I've not had that test and can probably not afford it at this time.
Even with health insurance, I still can't afford elective health care.
They only just started paying for my weekly Chiropractor visits this
morning. It was a pleasant surprise to have a credit!

I'll just avoid the wheat-type grains. They make me feel ill most of the
time when I eat them, so what's the point? That 15 bean soup I made
this past weekend did not agree with me either. :-( Sucks too. It was
delicious.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain

Why ? Why ? Why? David Hill United Kingdom 15 29-08-2014 06:18 PM
Heirloom tomatoes. RR Edible Gardening 5 16-08-2005 01:05 PM
Heirloom tomatoes Melba's Jammin' Edible Gardening 5 15-08-2005 06:08 PM
Source of heirloom tomatoes Victor Martinez Texas 21 24-02-2004 06:11 PM
Source of heirloom tomatoes Victor Martinez Texas 0 21-02-2004 02:27 PM