Old 16-09-2008, 06:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Food for arthritis etc. (was Why Heirloom Tomatoes??)

In article ss,
"gunner" wrote:

I'm way too young to be so damned old. Years of living with my house on my
back has caught up, still trying to figure out what type. done all the
therapy protocols except for the gold so far. Thank god for prednisone and
vicodin, but awaiting to see what that lapdance is going to cost me.
Tapering now and it is returning.

I'm only 46. Geezus Gunner! You already know the price of Prednisone.
:-(

Interesting study, different than what I thought it would be, still like to
see larger studies and more peer review. Just read a study where knee
surgery don't relieve the pain anymore than exercise except in joint
replacement, but I read the 10 year warranty on that is just for parts and
doesn't cover additional diagnostics and labor costs and most likely ya
still have to replace it. So I will not get the entire front end replaced
quite yet but will do some adjustments later this month.

The thought of feet/hooves is not particularly appealing but I can go with
hocks/oxtails to get the collagen, just not in a glue pot kinda way. going
to have to come up w/ a recipe with hocks, cabbage, ginger, peppers and
turmeric, an Asian meal start already.

Thank again Om

Hope it helps babe! Just remember that nutritional therapy takes time.
Won't help overnight. It took me originally around 4 weeks to feel the
difference.

I know the sight is unappealing. Debone the trotters to get rid of the
"shape" and mash them into soup. ;-)

Ox tails are expensive around here, but OH so good!
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Old 17-09-2008, 05:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Why Heirloom Tomatoes??

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

Glucose Tolerance Test?

Gluten, not glucose. [...]

Ah! Thanks. ;-)

No, I've not had that test and can probably not afford it at this time.
Even with health insurance, I still can't afford elective health care.

Testing for celiac for someone who already knows they are
gluten-sensitive is certainly far from elective. Gluten is in at least
half the products on grocery shelves in one form or another so it takes
practice and a great deal of diligence to avoid it. For people with
this genetic condition (roughly 1 in 100), there is no safe level of
gluten. This is a manifestly serious condition that can readily lead to
a bevy of other grave health problems or early death if untreated or
treated too late. Denial is sometimes a problematic collateral issue
because of the extent of diet modification required. But, it's your
health and your business. I'll say no more.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Old 17-09-2008, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

[...]

I appreciate the time you took to post me a warning Isabella. Truly I do!
I really do doubt tho' that it'll be a problem for me as I almost
totally avoid processed foods.

I live mostly on freshly cooked meat, leafy greens, and fresh and fresh
frozen veggies. I don't eat bread or ANY grain products anymore except
for some rice, corn and occasionally legumes.

It's a life style. :-)

Cheers babe!

Old 17-09-2008, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

I appreciate the time you took to post me a warning Isabella. Truly I do!
I really do doubt tho' that it'll be a problem for me as I almost
totally avoid processed foods.

I kind of hate sticking my nose in offering unsolicited info but I also
feel a responsibility since this condition has been so under-diagnosed
because US med schools taught that it was rare in the US. It's
heartbreaking to see people suffering (and dying) so needlessly.

I live mostly on freshly cooked meat, leafy greens, and fresh and fresh
frozen veggies. I don't eat bread or ANY grain products anymore except
for some rice, corn and occasionally legumes.

It's a life style. :-)

People often say to me, "I could never live like that"--- a diet absent
of wheat, rye and barley that is. We ate at Applebee's the other day
due to a power outage and no other places having power. Salad was the
only thing they had that I could eat and most of the dressing was out of
the question too. All their chicken is bagged & brined with
wheat-tainted mixtures. And their ground beef is mixed with TVP which
often has wheat. Most everything else is pre-breaded. The waitress
said to me, "I could never live on your diet." And all I could think
was how awful the Applebee's food/menu was!
Old 18-09-2008, 02:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

I appreciate the time you took to post me a warning Isabella. Truly I do!
I really do doubt tho' that it'll be a problem for me as I almost
totally avoid processed foods.

I kind of hate sticking my nose in offering unsolicited info but I also
feel a responsibility since this condition has been so under-diagnosed
because US med schools taught that it was rare in the US. It's
heartbreaking to see people suffering (and dying) so needlessly.

It is very underdiagnosed! I read a pamphlet once I found at the VA
emergency room that as many as 1 in 5 people in the US are allergic or
sensitive to "wheat proteins".

That's a LOT of people.

I live mostly on freshly cooked meat, leafy greens, and fresh and fresh
frozen veggies. I don't eat bread or ANY grain products anymore except
for some rice, corn and occasionally legumes.

It's a life style. :-)

People often say to me, "I could never live like that"--- a diet absent
of wheat, rye and barley that is. We ate at Applebee's the other day
due to a power outage and no other places having power. Salad was the
only thing they had that I could eat and most of the dressing was out of
the question too.

Oops! I'll have to watch the dressings! That's one I missed. Right now
I'm using mostly a vinegar and oil with herbs. I make my own here at
home but often used bottled ones at work.

My favorite dressing is plain lime mayo. ;-d

All their chicken is bagged & brined with
wheat-tainted mixtures.

Very common nowadays. :-(

And their ground beef is mixed with TVP which
often has wheat.

I'm so glad my local grocery store has fresh ground beef daily!
We rarely eat out anymore so that helps a lot too. Most of the food is
so WAY oversalted! Even my sister agrees with me so I prepped food here
at home then we cooked "in" for her last birthday. We had bacon wrapped
steaks and shrimp/mushroom/bacon kebabs, with fresh green salad.

Most everything else is pre-breaded. The waitress
said to me, "I could never live on your diet." And all I could think
was how awful the Applebee's food/menu was!

Heh! :-) I feel ya! Breaded meat is a travesty for health in many
ways.

Old 18-09-2008, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

"I could never live on your diet." And all I could think
was how awful the Applebee's food/menu was!

Ps, one thing I noted that when I started eating a more "restricted"
diet, it actually became LESS restricted. ;-) I started looking for
more things to increase variety so actually eat a greater variety of
fresh foods now. Knowing how to cook helps!

I love the asian markets...

Old 18-09-2008, 04:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

"I could never live on your diet." And all I could think
was how awful the Applebee's food/menu was!

Ps, one thing I noted that when I started eating a more "restricted"
diet, it actually became LESS restricted. ;-) I started looking for
more things to increase variety so actually eat a greater variety of
fresh foods now. Knowing how to cook helps!

I love the asian markets...

I'm running out of Shaoxing wine so I need to be making a little trip
soon myself. Even with that, you have to be careful since some kinds do
have wheat in them. (You don't lick envelopes and stamps do you?)
We've always eaten a fairly broad diet but my cooking has improved as
I've expanded my techniques and preparation methods considerably. For
instance, I roast veggies often now and I occasionally deep-fry (never
used to at all).

What I'd really love is to be able to preserve some of the sauces and
condiments I make from scratch, especially the ones that are more
time-consuming or that require unusual ingredients. Obviously, some
things are always better freshly made. But some things are better after
they've mellowed a bit. I'd like to see more recipes in this vein with
options to preserve. Examples: hoisin sauce, fermented bean sauce,
worcestershire sauce... etc.

Isabella
Old 18-09-2008, 05:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

"I could never live on your diet." And all I could think
was how awful the Applebee's food/menu was!

Ps, one thing I noted that when I started eating a more "restricted"
diet, it actually became LESS restricted. ;-) I started looking for
more things to increase variety so actually eat a greater variety of
fresh foods now. Knowing how to cook helps!

I love the asian markets...

I'm running out of Shaoxing wine so I need to be making a little trip
soon myself. Even with that, you have to be careful since some kinds do
have wheat in them. (You don't lick envelopes and stamps do you?)

Only with a sponge...

We've always eaten a fairly broad diet but my cooking has improved as
I've expanded my techniques and preparation methods considerably. For
instance, I roast veggies often now and I occasionally deep-fry (never
used to at all).

I use rice flour or corn starch to deep fry and only wet the food and
dredge it lightly. The fear of deep frying is over-rated unless you use
thick batters.

I also discovered deep frying bacon! Takes a fraction of the time, cooks
out a lot of the fat and does not spatter all over the stove.

Plus it adds bacon grease to your deep fryer. g I use peanut oil to
deep fry.

What I'd really love is to be able to preserve some of the sauces and
condiments I make from scratch, especially the ones that are more
time-consuming or that require unusual ingredients. Obviously, some
things are always better freshly made. But some things are better after
they've mellowed a bit. I'd like to see more recipes in this vein with
options to preserve. Examples: hoisin sauce, fermented bean sauce,
worcestershire sauce... etc.

Isabella

Have you tried freezing them?

Old 18-09-2008, 09:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

We've always eaten a fairly broad diet but my cooking has improved as
I've expanded my techniques and preparation methods considerably. For
instance, I roast veggies often now and I occasionally deep-fry (never
used to at all).

I use rice flour or corn starch to deep fry and only wet the food and
dredge it lightly. The fear of deep frying is over-rated unless you use
thick batters.

More than once, I've heard that rice flour results in a crispier
outcome. But they did not say which kind of rice flour or if that makes
a difference.

I also discovered deep frying bacon! Takes a fraction of the time, cooks
out a lot of the fat and does not spatter all over the stove.

Plus it adds bacon grease to your deep fryer. g I use peanut oil to
deep fry.

At my regular grocery, a 24 oz container (largest size) of peanut oil
costs about $6. I'm looking for another source. I used to use it for
wok cooking all the time but switched to extra light olive oil which has
a high enough smoking point. I prefer peanut oil though.

What I'd really love is to be able to preserve some of the sauces and
condiments I make from scratch, especially the ones that are more
time-consuming or that require unusual ingredients. Obviously, some
things are always better freshly made. But some things are better after
they've mellowed a bit. I'd like to see more recipes in this vein with
options to preserve. Examples: hoisin sauce, fermented bean sauce,
worcestershire sauce... etc.

Have you tried freezing them?

Yes. But I'm running out of freezer space. That is my only option.
Old 19-09-2008, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

More than once, I've heard that rice flour results in a crispier
outcome. But they did not say which kind of rice flour or if that makes
a difference.

I just bought "rice flour" from the asian market.

Corn starch gives an even crispier coating and also coats better.

I also discovered deep frying bacon! Takes a fraction of the time, cooks
out a lot of the fat and does not spatter all over the stove.

Plus it adds bacon grease to your deep fryer. g I use peanut oil to
deep fry.

At my regular grocery, a 24 oz container (largest size) of peanut oil
costs about $6. I'm looking for another source. I used to use it for
wok cooking all the time but switched to extra light olive oil which has
a high enough smoking point. I prefer peanut oil though.

If you filter and refrigerate the used oil, it's good for several
fryings. For regular pan and stir fry, I use Olive or more lately,
coconut oil. Grape seed is good too.

What I'd really love is to be able to preserve some of the sauces and
condiments I make from scratch, especially the ones that are more
time-consuming or that require unusual ingredients. Obviously, some
things are always better freshly made. But some things are better after
they've mellowed a bit. I'd like to see more recipes in this vein with
options to preserve. Examples: hoisin sauce, fermented bean sauce,
worcestershire sauce... etc.

Have you tried freezing them?

Yes. But I'm running out of freezer space. That is my only option.

Get a bigger freezer. g

Old 19-09-2008, 04:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

More than once, I've heard that rice flour results in a crispier
outcome. But they did not say which kind of rice flour or if that makes
a difference.

I just bought "rice flour" from the asian market.

Corn starch gives an even crispier coating and also coats better.

Ah ha. I knew there was a reason I had that 2# jar.

At my regular grocery, a 24 oz container (largest size) of peanut oil
costs about $6. I'm looking for another source. I used to use it for
wok cooking all the time but switched to extra light olive oil which has
a high enough smoking point. I prefer peanut oil though.

If you filter and refrigerate the used oil, it's good for several
fryings. For regular pan and stir fry, I use Olive or more lately,
coconut oil. Grape seed is good too.

Yep, I filter and save it.

What I'd really love is to be able to preserve some of the sauces and
condiments I make...

Have you tried freezing them?

Yes. But I'm running out of freezer space. That is my only option.

Get a bigger freezer. g

.. whisper I already have considerably more cubic feet of freezer
space than I care to admit. We get frequent power outages here, about
once every two weeks. So I worry a lot. (no gas here either) Some of
that space is taken by gluten-free staples I buy in quantity. And then
there's the roughly 60 pounds (so far) of green beans I've frozen from
the garden this year. If we had any kind of a pea crop this past
spring, I'd be in far greater trouble.
Old 19-09-2008, 04:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 20:50:03 -0500, Omelet wrote:

For regular pan and stir fry, I use Olive or more lately, coconut oil.

The man I buy my coconut oil from would scream. Last time I bought it I
got a free lecture on how heating the oil will make it not as healthy. I
use cold pressed. I don't tell him how I use it....A bit of oil in the
bottom of a cup. Stir small amount of cocoa powder into the oil. Add
hot coffee, sugar and cream.....mmmmmmm.

Or as oil in the pan for making pancakes. Also replace butter in
chocolate cookies.

Old 19-09-2008, 04:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

Corn starch gives an even crispier coating and also coats better.

Ah ha. I knew there was a reason I had that 2# jar.

Nacherally.g

If you filter and refrigerate the used oil, it's good for several
fryings. For regular pan and stir fry, I use Olive or more lately,
coconut oil. Grape seed is good too.

Yep, I filter and save it.

I get peanut oil here by the gallon for around $6.00.
And it goes on sale around T-day due to the popularity of deep frying
whole turkeys.

Get a bigger freezer. g

. whisper I already have considerably more cubic feet of freezer
space than I care to admit. We get frequent power outages here, about
once every two weeks. So I worry a lot. (no gas here either) Some of
that space is taken by gluten-free staples I buy in quantity. And then
there's the roughly 60 pounds (so far) of green beans I've frozen from
the garden this year. If we had any kind of a pea crop this past
spring, I'd be in far greater trouble.

Ah... I feel your pain. ;-)
I'm trying to clear my deep freeze at the moment in anticipation of
being allowed to go feral hog hunting.

Old 19-09-2008, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
jellybean stonerfish wrote:

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 20:50:03 -0500, Omelet wrote:

For regular pan and stir fry, I use Olive or more lately, coconut oil.

The man I buy my coconut oil from would scream. Last time I bought it I
got a free lecture on how heating the oil will make it not as healthy. I
use cold pressed. I don't tell him how I use it....A bit of oil in the
bottom of a cup. Stir small amount of cocoa powder into the oil. Add
hot coffee, sugar and cream.....mmmmmmm.

Or as oil in the pan for making pancakes. Also replace butter in
chocolate cookies.

Meh, coconut oil has a high smoke point and a sweet flavor so is
seriously suitable as a cooking oil.

When I'm going for the health benefits of specific oils, I'll steam
veggies then coat them lightly with the uncooked oil before adding my
spices.

And yes, I actually do do that. ;-) With Olive, Coconut and Grape Seed.

Old 19-09-2008, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

Yep, I filter and save it.

I get peanut oil here by the gallon for around $6.00.
And it goes on sale around T-day due to the popularity of deep frying
whole turkeys.

Good grief, am I getting ripped off!

Get a bigger freezer. g

. whisper I already have considerably more cubic feet of freezer
space than I care to admit. We get frequent power outages here, about
once every two weeks. So I worry a lot. (no gas here either) Some of
that space is taken by gluten-free staples I buy in quantity. And then
there's the roughly 60 pounds (so far) of green beans I've frozen from
the garden this year. If we had any kind of a pea crop this past
spring, I'd be in far greater trouble.

Ah... I feel your pain. ;-)
I'm trying to clear my deep freeze at the moment in anticipation of
being allowed to go feral hog hunting.

Are these escaped pig descendants or truly wild ones?

"When the boar breaks cover, there is only you and your spear."
~ Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot

Why ? Why ? Why? David Hill United Kingdom 15 29-08-2014 06:18 PM
Heirloom tomatoes. RR Edible Gardening 5 16-08-2005 01:05 PM
Heirloom tomatoes Melba's Jammin' Edible Gardening 5 15-08-2005 06:08 PM
Source of heirloom tomatoes Victor Martinez Texas 21 24-02-2004 06:11 PM
Source of heirloom tomatoes Victor Martinez Texas 0 21-02-2004 02:27 PM