Old 19-09-2008, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Why Heirloom Tomatoes??

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

Yep, I filter and save it.

I get peanut oil here by the gallon for around $6.00.
And it goes on sale around T-day due to the popularity of deep frying
whole turkeys.

Good grief, am I getting ripped off!

Look for Lou Ana bramd?

Get a bigger freezer. g

. whisper I already have considerably more cubic feet of freezer
space than I care to admit. We get frequent power outages here, about
once every two weeks. So I worry a lot. (no gas here either) Some of
that space is taken by gluten-free staples I buy in quantity. And then
there's the roughly 60 pounds (so far) of green beans I've frozen from
the garden this year. If we had any kind of a pea crop this past
spring, I'd be in far greater trouble.

Ah... I feel your pain. ;-)
I'm trying to clear my deep freeze at the moment in anticipation of
being allowed to go feral hog hunting.

Are these escaped pig descendants or truly wild ones?

Feral hogs, not wild pigs (Javalinas etc.).
They are actually supposed to be better eating. I have yet to try one
but have heard nothing but good. They are pests on many properties North
of here!

"When the boar breaks cover, there is only you and your spear."
~ Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time

Isabella

lol Yeah, spearing a hog might be a great adventure, but I'm too old
for that. I'll use my trusty .308. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Old 19-09-2008, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

Omelet wrote:
I get peanut oil here by the gallon for around $6.00.
And it goes on sale around T-day due to the popularity of deep frying
whole turkeys.

Good grief, am I getting ripped off!

Look for Lou Ana bramd?

That is the only brand I can find around here. Incredible. You pay $6
for a gal and I have to pay that for less than a quart!

I'm trying to clear my deep freeze at the moment in anticipation of
being allowed to go feral hog hunting.

Are these escaped pig descendants or truly wild ones?

Feral hogs, not wild pigs (Javalinas etc.).
They are actually supposed to be better eating. I have yet to try one
but have heard nothing but good. They are pests on many properties North
of here!

Oh I have no doubt they will be better eating than the typical grocery
store cardb....uh..... pork they sell now.

"When the boar breaks cover, there is only you and your spear."
~ Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time

lol Yeah, spearing a hog might be a great adventure, but I'm too old
for that. I'll use my trusty .308. ;-)

Heh... thought that might give you a little chuckle. Those must be
pretty darn big hogs! Winchester? Browning?

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Old 20-09-2008, 02:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

Good grief, am I getting ripped off!

Look for Lou Ana bramd?

That is the only brand I can find around here. Incredible. You pay $6
for a gal and I have to pay that for less than a quart!

Huh. Might be location... I'm in central Texas.

I'm trying to clear my deep freeze at the moment in anticipation of
being allowed to go feral hog hunting.

Are these escaped pig descendants or truly wild ones?

Feral hogs, not wild pigs (Javalinas etc.).
They are actually supposed to be better eating. I have yet to try one
but have heard nothing but good. They are pests on many properties North
of here!

Oh I have no doubt they will be better eating than the typical grocery
store cardb....uh..... pork they sell now.

giggles

"When the boar breaks cover, there is only you and your spear."
~ Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time

lol Yeah, spearing a hog might be a great adventure, but I'm too old
for that. I'll use my trusty .308. ;-)

Heh... thought that might give you a little chuckle. Those must be
pretty darn big hogs! Winchester? Browning?

Isabella

Winchester lever action, model 88.
Dad gave it to me for my 16th birthday so I've had it for 30 years.
Kicks like a mule, but not too bad if you bench it right.

I could use the AR-15 and I'm told .223 would work for hogs, but I'd
rather make sure I get a 1 shot kill and prefer a head shot.

Ob gardens: The feral hogs really do a number on some people's gardens
so welcome hunters in some areas. And yes, some of them can get to be
quite large!

Old 20-09-2008, 05:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

[...]

I just had a feeling it might be a Winchester. I wouldn't use a .22
either though they are great for small, irritating pests like squirrels.
Too bad they don't have heat-seeking nano-missiles for the moles.

Ob gardens: The feral hogs really do a number on some people's gardens
so welcome hunters in some areas. And yes, some of them can get to be
quite large!

My DH was telling me he used to see them all the time at Fort Sill---
those and the armadillos. I was sitting at the table cutting beans the
other day (what else do I ever do anymore?) and one of my ancho pepper
plants on the deck started shaking like crazy. I watched as a squirrel
chewed right though my lashing I had used to anchor the stake (they get
so high!) to my deck rail. There must be millions of acorns and walnuts
in the forest right behind our house. But nooooooooooo..... they have
to come up on the deck after my peppers--- which do exceptionally well
in September and October btw. I don't bother them unless they bother
me.

And returning to heirloom tomatoes, they had them at the grocery
today... in a cooler! Ick!

Isabella
Old 20-09-2008, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

Winchester lever action, model 88.
Dad gave it to me for my 16th birthday so I've had it for 30 years.
Kicks like a mule, but not too bad if you bench it right.

I could use the AR-15 and I'm told .223 would work for hogs, but I'd
rather make sure I get a 1 shot kill and prefer a head shot.

I just had a feeling it might be a Winchester.

Most common.

I wouldn't use a .22
either though they are great for small, irritating pests like squirrels.
Too bad they don't have heat-seeking nano-missiles for the moles.

..223 is not quite the same as .22.
Same diameter, but a considerably larger powder load. Muzzle velocity
exceeds 3,000 fps. You don't get that with .22. g It hits with
explosive force. You should see what it does to to a prairie dog at 100
yards. You shoot a squirrel with that, there won't be enough left of it
to skin and cook. Squirrel is good eating so yes, I do use either a BB
gun or .22 for them and bunnies.

Remember, AR-15's are used for hunting Terrorist humans.
This particular one tho' is a hunting rifle. Not law enforcement or army:

http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm...VMS24FVAR9.asp

Ob gardens: The feral hogs really do a number on some people's gardens
so welcome hunters in some areas. And yes, some of them can get to be
quite large!

My DH was telling me he used to see them all the time at Fort Sill---
those and the armadillos. I was sitting at the table cutting beans the
other day (what else do I ever do anymore?) and one of my ancho pepper
plants on the deck started shaking like crazy. I watched as a squirrel
chewed right though my lashing I had used to anchor the stake (they get
so high!) to my deck rail. There must be millions of acorns and walnuts
in the forest right behind our house. But nooooooooooo..... they have
to come up on the deck after my peppers--- which do exceptionally well
in September and October btw. I don't bother them unless they bother
me.

I repeat, Squirrel is good eating. g
I just skin them wet (to keep the fur from shedding), clean and quarter
them, then lightly fry them in olive oil and lemon pepper. They are
quite toothsome.

And returning to heirloom tomatoes, they had them at the grocery
today... in a cooler! Ick!

Isabella

Damn. :-(

Old 21-09-2008, 04:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

Winchester lever action, model 88.
Dad gave it to me for my 16th birthday so I've had it for 30 years.
Kicks like a mule, but not too bad if you bench it right.

I could use the AR-15 and I'm told .223 would work for hogs, but I'd
rather make sure I get a 1 shot kill and prefer a head shot.

I just had a feeling it might be a Winchester.

Most common.

True but it was the Annie Oakley image that made me think of it. VBG

I wouldn't use a .22
either though they are great for small, irritating pests like squirrels.
Too bad they don't have heat-seeking nano-missiles for the moles.

.223 is not quite the same as .22.
Same diameter, but a considerably larger powder load. Muzzle velocity
exceeds 3,000 fps. You don't get that with .22. g

Holy mackerel, you sure don't. Very interesting! Not much prairie dog
left I imagine.

...It hits with explosive force. You should see what it does to to a
prairie dog at 100 yards. You shoot a squirrel with that, there
won't be enough left of it to skin and cook. Squirrel is good eating
so yes, I do use either a BB gun or .22 for them and bunnies.
Remember, AR-15's are used for hunting Terrorist humans.
This particular one tho' is a hunting rifle. Not law enforcement or army:

http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm...VMS24FVAR9.asp

And here I thought Bushmaster was either a cucumber or a snake.

[...]

I've eaten lots of game since my dad and uncles were all hunting
devotees, but I've never liked squirrel.

At least one deer got into the garden last night and polished off the
tops of all the chard and a couple rows of beans. It must have figured
out how to get under the wire. So... it looks like I won't have as many
beans to freeze. I'm just sooooo disappointed (NOT). I did nine pints
of chile sauce the other day... probably my last decent haul of
tomatoes. Too wet this year for a big tomato haul. The cukes are still
doing well.... I just can't believe it.

Isabella
Old 21-09-2008, 09:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:
Winchester lever action, model 88.
Dad gave it to me for my 16th birthday so I've had it for 30 years.
Kicks like a mule, but not too bad if you bench it right.

I could use the AR-15 and I'm told .223 would work for hogs, but I'd
rather make sure I get a 1 shot kill and prefer a head shot.

I just had a feeling it might be a Winchester.

Most common.

True but it was the Annie Oakley image that made me think of it. VBG

giggles I'm not a bad shot, but no Annie Oakley. ;-)

I wouldn't use a .22
either though they are great for small, irritating pests like squirrels.
Too bad they don't have heat-seeking nano-missiles for the moles.

.223 is not quite the same as .22.
Same diameter, but a considerably larger powder load. Muzzle velocity
exceeds 3,000 fps. You don't get that with .22. g

Holy mackerel, you sure don't. Very interesting! Not much prairie dog
left I imagine.

It was gutted from end to end. Died instantly.
The concept of "varmint rifles".

...It hits with explosive force. You should see what it does to to a
prairie dog at 100 yards. You shoot a squirrel with that, there
won't be enough left of it to skin and cook. Squirrel is good eating
so yes, I do use either a BB gun or .22 for them and bunnies.
Remember, AR-15's are used for hunting Terrorist humans.
This particular one tho' is a hunting rifle. Not law enforcement or army:

http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm...VMS24FVAR9.asp

And here I thought Bushmaster was either a cucumber or a snake.

lol No, it's a very good brand of firearm. A lot of PD's use that
brand in carbines.

It's actually a lot of fun to shoot. Lots of power for almost no recoil
which allows you to stay on target faster with a semi-auto. Of course
tho', military AR-15's have an alternate setting for a 3 round full auto
burst. Not legal for us civilians without the AFT licensing.

It actually should be adequate for hogs.

The only problem with Bushmaster is their price, but then again, you get
what you pay for up to a point. Taurus makes really reliable and durable
firearms too. My favorite 9mm that I own is the Taurus PT-92. A Beretta
clone. Taurus bought the Beretta factory in Brazil so why not build what
it was already tooled for?

That gun has only mis-fired once on a round of snake shot I was testing.
Snake shot goes better in revolvers, not semi-autos so I was not too put
out.

I repeat, Squirrel is good eating. g
I just skin them wet (to keep the fur from shedding), clean and quarter
them, then lightly fry them in olive oil and lemon pepper. They are
quite toothsome.

I've eaten lots of game since my dad and uncles were all hunting
devotees, but I've never liked squirrel.

Flavor or texture? Just curious. I do respect individual tastes.
But of course, my squirrels are grain fed. g They eat the hen scratch
I put out for my pigeons.

What other type of game do you get to put in your freezer?

At least one deer got into the garden last night and polished off the
tops of all the chard and a couple rows of beans.

Oh crap.

It must have figured
out how to get under the wire. So... it looks like I won't have as many
beans to freeze. I'm just sooooo disappointed (NOT). I did nine pints
of chile sauce the other day... probably my last decent haul of
tomatoes. Too wet this year for a big tomato haul. The cukes are still
doing well.... I just can't believe it.

Isabella

Glad your garden is doing well. :-) I'm getting a bumper crop of
Petins, most of which will be fed to the Cockatoo. She needs the vitamin
C.

Old 22-09-2008, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

I just had a feeling it might be a Winchester.

Most common.

True but it was the Annie Oakley image that made me think of it. VBG

giggles I'm not a bad shot, but no Annie Oakley. ;-)

OK, Calamity Jane then.

...It hits with explosive force. You should see what it does to to a
prairie dog at 100 yards. You shoot a squirrel with that, there
won't be enough left of it to skin and cook. Squirrel is good eating
so yes, I do use either a BB gun or .22 for them and bunnies.
Remember, AR-15's are used for hunting Terrorist humans.
This particular one tho' is a hunting rifle. Not law enforcement or army:

http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm...VMS24FVAR9.asp

And here I thought Bushmaster was either a cucumber or a snake.

lol No, it's a very good brand of firearm. A lot of PD's use that
brand in carbines. [...]

I'm getting a real education here. My dad would be very impressed.

I've eaten lots of game since my dad and uncles were all hunting
devotees, but I've never liked squirrel.

Flavor or texture? Just curious. I do respect individual tastes.
But of course, my squirrels are grain fed. g They eat the hen scratch
I put out for my pigeons.

Must be all those bitter acorns and black walnuts (which I've always
detested).

The cukes are still doing well.... I just can't believe it.

Glad your garden is doing well. :-) I'm getting a bumper crop of
Petins, most of which will be fed to the Cockatoo. She needs the vitamin
C.

You know... our parrot (blue-fronted Amazon), Wilbur, also loved chile
peppers. I gave him to a girl at the pet store, who was dying to have a
parrot of her own, when my work schedule was too intense to give him
adequate attention. I miss him a lot. She just loved him so much.
Unfortunately, Wilbur hated men--- bit the hell out of poor Mr. Bill.

We drove to Louisiana (MO) yesterday and came back with three more
standard plum trees--- a Shiro, Starking Delicious, and a Damson. Mr.
Bill got two planted today; he had to remove two very old redbuds which
was a huge chore. Can't believe we actually got them into the car! We
still have not found a potted standard Montmorency. I guess he'll have
to order a whip from Miller. Hardly anyone carries the standard anymore.

Isabella
Old 22-09-2008, 01:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

giggles I'm not a bad shot, but no Annie Oakley. ;-)

OK, Calamity Jane then.

Probably more accurate. ;-)

And here I thought Bushmaster was either a cucumber or a snake.

lol No, it's a very good brand of firearm. A lot of PD's use that
brand in carbines. [...]

I'm getting a real education here. My dad would be very impressed.

I'm still learning too. I figure if I'm going to have them, I may as
well teach myself about them...
Lack of education can be dangerous when it comes to firearms. They may
be toys to me, but deadly toys. g Kinda like fast cars...

I've eaten lots of game since my dad and uncles were all hunting
devotees, but I've never liked squirrel.

Flavor or texture? Just curious. I do respect individual tastes.
But of course, my squirrels are grain fed. g They eat the hen scratch
I put out for my pigeons.

Must be all those bitter acorns and black walnuts (which I've always
detested).

Ah. I've always preferred Pecans to Walnuts! Pecans are common around
here. I've been finding green ones in my driveway lately, dropped by
Squirrels. Harvest is around the end of September to the end of October.
They tend to sprout too when the buggers bury them! I pull up any trees
that are too close to my house foundation.

The cukes are still doing well.... I just can't believe it.

Glad your garden is doing well. :-) I'm getting a bumper crop of
Petins, most of which will be fed to the Cockatoo. She needs the vitamin
C.

You know... our parrot (blue-fronted Amazon), Wilbur, also loved chile
peppers. I gave him to a girl at the pet store, who was dying to have a
parrot of her own, when my work schedule was too intense to give him
adequate attention. I miss him a lot. She just loved him so much.
Unfortunately, Wilbur hated men--- bit the hell out of poor Mr. Bill.

I'd be hard put to give Freya away. She's such a love! Noisy pain in the
ass too, but I love her anyway. g We built her an aviary on the sun
porch to eliminate the destructive issues. Her "cage" is 3' x 8' x 6'.
She's a Goffin's cockatoo. Got her for free in 1998 when she appeared in
our back yard eating grain with the chickens. :-)
I have a scar from capturing her, but it was worth it.

We drove to Louisiana (MO) yesterday and came back with three more
standard plum trees--- a Shiro, Starking Delicious, and a Damson. Mr.
Bill got two planted today; he had to remove two very old redbuds which
was a huge chore. Can't believe we actually got them into the car! We
still have not found a potted standard Montmorency. I guess he'll have
to order a whip from Miller. Hardly anyone carries the standard anymore.

Isabella

I should take down those two hackberry's out back and plant fruit trees.
I need to find out from the Ag extension office what fruit trees will
winter over here. I'd probably have to use netting over them tho' to
protect the fruit.

On the other hand, it'd be squirrel bait and I might end up with enough
squirrel to put in the freezer. eg

If I chop the hackberry's and leave tall stumps in the ground, I could
seed them with mushroom spawn:

http://www.fungi.com/

Old 25-09-2008, 02:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 15:59:17 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

I repeat, Squirrel is good eating. g

And the best gravy on the planet...

Why ? Why ? Why? David Hill United Kingdom 15 29-08-2014 06:18 PM
Heirloom tomatoes. RR Edible Gardening 5 16-08-2005 01:05 PM
Heirloom tomatoes Melba's Jammin' Edible Gardening 5 15-08-2005 06:08 PM
Source of heirloom tomatoes Victor Martinez Texas 21 24-02-2004 06:11 PM
Source of heirloom tomatoes Victor Martinez Texas 0 21-02-2004 02:27 PM