Old 03-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Registered User

Arrow Why Heirloom Tomatoes??

Hi friends,
Do you ever heard about Heirloom tomatoes? If not then just take a look.
The Heirloom tomatoes that are also known as heritage tomatoes are open-pollinated (non-hybrid) cultivar of tomato. These tomatoes have become increasingly popular and are more readily available in recent years. The seeds of the Heirloom tomatoes are being saved for years and passed from one generation to the next. Today most of the tomatoes purchased from grocery stores are hybrids. These hybrid tomatoes are being bred to produce higher yields and for uniformity in colors and shapes. But its flavor is not up to the mark.
The Heirloom tomatoes are quite better in comparison to hybrid tomatoes. The Heirloom tomatoes are first known for their amazing flavor. In addition these tomatoes are available in distinctive shapes and in various ranges of colors like purple, green, orange and many more.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Why Heirloom Tomatoes??

In article ,
rogers wrote:

Hi friends,
Do you ever heard about Heirloom tomatoes?

Snob value? g

Seriously tho' I know what you mean. I've heard good things about the
flavor of heirlooms.

Vine ripe tomatoes of any variety tho' are better than any store bought
ones by _yards_.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Old 03-09-2008, 04:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Derald wrote:

rogers wrote:

Do you ever heard about Heirloom tomatoes? If not then
just take a look

_Now_ I know why, despite my best efforts, I never stay subscribed
to this newsgroup: The density of self-appointed know-it-all "experts",
with no discernible qualifications, who broadcast, wholesale, "mis" and
"dis" information without citation or evidence of any kind, whatsover,
as if it's "gospel".
In short, "Friend", you simply don't know what you're nattering
about.

I feel sorry for you babe.

The spam here is less than 1%.

If you cannot ignore/filter it, you may as well belong to
Yahoogroups.com.

You will not benefit from the rich and diverse anarchistic (and
wonderful) population that hangs out on usenet.

I pity you...

Old 03-09-2008, 05:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
rogers wrote:

[...]

We do blindfold taste tests every year with our tomatoes every year.
The heirlooms often rate highly in this regard. But not always. Some
simply don't grow well in our climate while others flourish. Several of
our favorites include Pink Caspian, Amish Paste, and Mortgage Lifter.
However, we also grow many hybrids that rate highly as well.

The problem with most grocery tomatoes isn't that they are hybrids, IMO,
but that they are bred to withstand abuse in shipping and so they look
pretty on a store shelf--- no matter how tasteless and hard.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Old 04-09-2008, 12:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
rogers wrote:

Hi friends,
Do you ever heard about Heirloom tomatoes?

Snob value? g

Seriously tho' I know what you mean. I've heard good things about the
flavor of heirlooms.

Vine ripe tomatoes of any variety tho' are better than any store bought
ones by _yards_.

Almost any home grown tomato is better than those red things in the store.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
rogers wrote:

Hi friends,
Do you ever heard about Heirloom tomatoes?

Snob value? g

Seriously tho' I know what you mean. I've heard good things about the
flavor of heirlooms.

Vine ripe tomatoes of any variety tho' are better than any store bought
ones by _yards_.

Almost any home grown tomato is better than those red things in the store.

Yep!

Old 04-09-2008, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
rogers wrote:

Hi friends,
Do you ever heard about Heirloom tomatoes?
Snob value? g

Seriously tho' I know what you mean. I've heard good things about the
flavor of heirlooms.

Vine ripe tomatoes of any variety tho' are better than any store bought
ones by _yards_.

Almost any home grown tomato is better than those red things in the store.

Yep!

A couple of years ago, in the dead of winter, I was perusing the grocery
store tomatoes and one variety actually smelled like a tomato. They
were the bright orange colored tennis-ball sized tomatoes with the stems
attached. (the yellow and the red tomatoes just like them had no smell,
just like the Roma, "greenhouse", and generic slicing tomatoes.) I
bought a few and made pico de gallo with them, saving some of the seeds.
They were actually good! I planted them in my garden the next year and
they were good fresh too, but my family wouldn't eat them because they
were the wrong color.

I should probably plant "Black Krim" or "Green Moldovan" next year.

Bob
Old 04-09-2008, 07:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news In article ,
rogers wrote:

[...]

The "on the vine" tomatoes from the store are actually decent, and worth
the fact that they are twice the price of others. ;-)

I don't use a lot of fresh ones anymore, so I can afford them when I
want them as I only buy two or three at around $2.39 per lb. on average.

Last fall, I planted 2 tomatoes (around the beginning of September) in
about a 30 gallon pot, and put them in the greenhouse. I had a few ripe
tomatoes at the beginning of March...

but only because I hand pollinated.

One of these years, I'd like to try hydroponics with timed lighting. I
just cannot afford it yet.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

I should probably plant "Black Krim" or "Green Moldovan" next year.

Not long ago I saw Black Krims for sale at Whole Foods. Our regular
grocery now claims to sell some varieties of heirloom tomatoes. They
certainly look like they could be. But I almost never buy "fresh"
tomatoes from the grocery anymore. We eat our fill in the summer and
fall from the garden.

Isabella
Old 04-09-2008, 08:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

I should probably plant "Black Krim" or "Green Moldovan" next year.

Not long ago I saw Black Krims for sale at Whole Foods. Our regular
grocery now claims to sell some varieties of heirloom tomatoes. They
certainly look like they could be. But I almost never buy "fresh"
tomatoes from the grocery anymore. We eat our fill in the summer and
fall from the garden.

Isabella

What do you do in the winter?

I will can a few tomatoes and freeze some blanched and peeled.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

I should probably plant "Black Krim" or "Green Moldovan" next year.

Not long ago I saw Black Krims for sale at Whole Foods. Our regular
grocery now claims to sell some varieties of heirloom tomatoes. They
certainly look like they could be. But I almost never buy "fresh"
tomatoes from the grocery anymore. We eat our fill in the summer and
fall from the garden.

What do you do in the winter?

Well, I try to keep warm and make it a point not to shovel any snow.
Last winter I bought "fresh" tomatoes exactly once. For cooked cuisine
requiring tomatoes, I use canned (home or store). For salads--- oh my
gosh--- I use a wide variety of fruits and veggies for salads in the
winter but no "fresh" tomatoes usually. Last winter, I think we had a
different salad everyday. I throw together what looks good. How about
you? What do you do in the winter?

Old 05-09-2008, 03:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 11:53:22 +0100, rogers
wrote:

Hi friends,
Do you ever heard about Heirloom tomatoes? If not then
just take a look.

I've been popping cherry tomatos for a couple of weeks now, but my
first full size one ripened this week (I planted late.).

It was a Rutgers: Juicy and very tangy. One of my favorites.
An excellent canner or to eat out of hand.

Just for fun: Rutgers (sometimes knows as Jersey) at one time
accounted for 70% of all tomato sales in the US, bolstered by the fact
that Campbells used them in their soups. As a matter of fact, the
variety was created at Rutgers University in cooperation with the soup
giant. It's parents are the Marglobe and JTD.

It made New Jersey the #1 tomato producer in the country at the time.
California now holds the distinction.

When NASA did experiments with growing food in space from seed, the
tomato seeds they used were Rutgers.

I planted 38 heirlooms this year, and it appears 35 of them made it.
Hope they are all as tasty as this first one.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

Rutgers is the only variety I planted this year. Yield has been poor,
but they taste great. Been eating a lot of tomato sandwiches, BLT's,
and pico de gallo, but won't have any to can or freeze.

I may plant Marglobes next year because they are bigger. And Principe
Borghese because they do well here and are good for drying.

Bob
Old 05-09-2008, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

I should probably plant "Black Krim" or "Green Moldovan" next year.

Not long ago I saw Black Krims for sale at Whole Foods. Our regular
grocery now claims to sell some varieties of heirloom tomatoes. They
certainly look like they could be. But I almost never buy "fresh"
tomatoes from the grocery anymore. We eat our fill in the summer and
fall from the garden.

What do you do in the winter?

Well, I try to keep warm and make it a point not to shovel any snow.
Last winter I bought "fresh" tomatoes exactly once. For cooked cuisine
requiring tomatoes, I use canned (home or store). For salads--- oh my
gosh--- I use a wide variety of fruits and veggies for salads in the
winter but no "fresh" tomatoes usually. Last winter, I think we had a
different salad everyday. I throw together what looks good. How about
you? What do you do in the winter?

We are close to Mexico and our local store sells some tomatoes that are
"on the vine" (and they really are!) Tomatoes still attached to the vine.

Must be chemistry as those are actually decent. If the price gets too
high, I, too, will use canned, even on tacos!

I did grow a pair to tomatoes last winter in my greenhouse and it sorta
worked. I had a few ripe tomatoes in early March, but I had to make
sure I paid attention to the plants and hand-pollinated the flowers.

My mom taught me to do that. She used to joke about "having sex with her
tomato vines". lol

Old 05-09-2008, 08:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

I should probably plant "Black Krim" or "Green Moldovan" next year.

...But I almost never buy "fresh" tomatoes from the grocery
anymore. We eat our fill in the summer and fall from the
garden.

What do you do in the winter?

Last winter I bought "fresh" tomatoes exactly once. For cooked cuisine
requiring tomatoes, I use canned (home or store). For salads--- oh my
gosh--- I use a wide variety of fruits and veggies for salads in the
winter but no "fresh" tomatoes usually. Last winter, I think we had a
different salad everyday. I throw together what looks good. How about
you? What do you do in the winter?

We are close to Mexico and our local store sells some tomatoes that are
"on the vine" (and they really are!) Tomatoes still attached to the vine.

Our groceries have those too. They look like Jet Stars but our regular
grocery has a very bad habit of chilling the tomatoes and ruining the
taste of even the decent tomatoes. When you cut them open, you can see
that line around the circumference that indicates they've been held at
too low a temperature. There are other problems too. They order far
too much produce and it often sits until its rotten on the inside. Ugh!
I have to be very careful. A somewhat close Whole Foods opened recently
so I might be able to get better ones there.

Must be chemistry as those are actually decent. If the price gets too
high, I, too, will use canned, even on tacos!

I sometimes used canned diced tomatoes in salsa. Brands vary a lot.

I did grow a pair to tomatoes last winter in my greenhouse and it sorta
worked. I had a few ripe tomatoes in early March, but I had to make
sure I paid attention to the plants and hand-pollinated the flowers.

I was doing that with cucumbers before we uncovered them. The zucchini
were far easier...lol.

My mom taught me to do that. She used to joke about "having sex with her
tomato vines". lol

--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot

Why ? Why ? Why? David Hill United Kingdom 15 29-08-2014 06:18 PM
Heirloom tomatoes. RR Edible Gardening 5 16-08-2005 01:05 PM
Heirloom tomatoes Melba's Jammin' Edible Gardening 5 15-08-2005 06:08 PM
Source of heirloom tomatoes Victor Martinez Texas 21 24-02-2004 06:11 PM
Source of heirloom tomatoes Victor Martinez Texas 0 21-02-2004 02:27 PM