Old 10-09-2008, 10:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default japanese knotweed

I am looking for a cheap form of japanese knotweed; for the
resveratrol

content, which is supposed to slow aging. Anyone growing this for
food

purpose's, any advice would be appreciated.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Andrew wrote:

I am looking for a cheap form of japanese
knotweed; for the
resveratrol

content, which is supposed to slow aging.
Anyone growing this for food

purpose's, any advice would be appreciated.

You might try growing your own red grapes and
making wine - problem solved :-)
Old 11-09-2008, 02:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Andrew wrote in

oups.com:

I am looking for a cheap form of japanese knotweed;
for the
resveratrol

content, which is supposed to slow aging. Anyone growing
this for food

purpose's, any advice would be appreciated.

it's a very invasive weed. go pick it out of wetlands or
ditches.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 13-12-2008, 10:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Andrew" wrote in message
I am looking for a cheap form of japanese knotweed; for the
resveratrol

content, which is supposed to slow aging. Anyone growing this for
food

purpose's, any advice would be appreciated.

Not really recomended to grow as below taken from Wiki:

It can be found in 39 of the 50 United States (PUSDA) and in six provinces
in Canada. The species is also common in Europe. In the U.K. it was made
illegal to spread Japanese knotweed by the Wildlife and Countryside Act
1981, and it is listed by the World Conservation Union as one of the world's
100 worst invasive species.[4] In the U.S.A. it is listed as an invasive
weed in Ohio, Vermont, Virginia, New York, Alaska, Pennsylvania and
Washington state

Old 14-12-2008, 09:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

High John,

I would not grow it if I were you as once you have planted it you can not
get rid of it. The only way I believe is to cut off the stems just above the
ground, and pour roundup into the cut stems, which are hollow. this has to
be done quite a few times as the roots are very deep. Hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin,

Old 14-12-2008, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"john smith" wrote in message

"Andrew" wrote in message
* * *I am looking for a cheap form of japanese knotweed; for the
resveratrol

content, which is supposed to slow aging. *Anyone growing this for
food

purpose's, *any advice would be appreciated.

Not really recomended to grow as below taken from Wiki:

It can be found in 39 of the 50 United States (PUSDA) and in six provinces
in Canada. The species is also common in Europe. In the U.K. it was made
illegal to spread Japanese knotweed by the Wildlife and Countryside Act
1981, and it is listed by the World Conservation Union as one of the
world's 100 worst invasive species.[4] In the U.S.A. it is listed as an
invasive weed in Ohio, Vermont, Virginia, New York, Alaska, Pennsylvania
and Washington state- Hide quoted text -

Resveratrol can help you to lead a long and healthy life so says many
doctors. Red wine alone does not supply enough resveratrol to achieve
the
full range of benefits because one glass of red wine has only about
1mg of resveratrol and you need about 250mg/day. You need to take
high potency resveratrol supplements to achieve the results
documented
in scientific studies.Resveratrol Supplements can also help you
control
your weight naturally by increasing energy, reducing cravings, and
limiting
your appetite.According to Wikipedia, Consumer Lab, an independent
dietary
supplement and over the counter products evaluation organization,
published a report on 13 November 2007 on the popular resveratrol
supplements. The organization reported that there exists a wide
range
in quality, dose, and price among the 13 resveratrol products
evaluated. The actual amount of resveratrol contained in the
different brands range from 2.2mg for Revatrol, which claimed to
have
400mg of "Red Wine Grape Complex", to 500mg for Biotivia.com
Transmax,
which is consistent with the amount claimed on the product's label.
Prices per 100mg of resveratrol ranged from less than $.30 for
products made by Biotivia.com, jarrow, and country life, to a high
of
$45.27 for the Revatrol brand.

Old 18-12-2008, 06:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Pat Pat is offline

When I lived in Massachusetts we had wild knotweed growing in the yard. I
often used it in cooking. It's quite tasty, kind of like a cross between
rhubarb and asparagus.

If you can find it growing wild, you don't need to plant it. I don't think
it's hard to find. Looks like horsetail only thicker, much more succulent
and a lighter color.

japanese knotweed gntry Gardening 13 28-07-2004 03:02 PM
Japanese bamboo knotweed Tim923 Plant Science 9 24-07-2004 10:50 AM
Japanese knotweed pics Tim923 Gardening 5 10-07-2004 12:02 AM
Japanese Knotweed (BBC1, Countryfile today) al Gardening 3 02-09-2003 01:02 AM
Japanese Knotweed Janice United Kingdom 1 19-07-2003 12:23 AM