Old 11-09-2008, 12:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tomato problem

I have a raised garden and always plant about 8 tomato plants (two of
each variety) always with good results.
This year I put in 8 plants (4 varieties). We had a lot of rain.
Two plants died when covered with green tomatoes and the rest all had
huge, distorted tomatoes on them. They all looked like about four or
five tomatoes grew together from one stem. Anybody know what causes
this problem. I like the idea of two pound tomatoes but these were
horribly shaped.
TIA Allan
Old 11-09-2008, 07:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Allan Matthews" wrote in message
I have a raised garden and always plant about 8 tomato plants (two of
each variety) always with good results.
This year I put in 8 plants (4 varieties). We had a lot of rain.
Two plants died when covered with green tomatoes and the rest all had
huge, distorted tomatoes on them. They all looked like about four or
five tomatoes grew together from one stem. Anybody know what causes
this problem. I like the idea of two pound tomatoes but these were
horribly shaped.
TIA Allan

Could they be infested with some kind of virus? I've been growing tomatoes
for many years and never saw anything like that.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Allan Matthews said:

I have a raised garden and always plant about 8 tomato plants (two of
each variety) always with good results.
This year I put in 8 plants (4 varieties). We had a lot of rain.
Two plants died when covered with green tomatoes and the rest all had
huge, distorted tomatoes on them. They all looked like about four or
five tomatoes grew together from one stem. Anybody know what causes
this problem. I like the idea of two pound tomatoes but these were
horribly shaped.

Did they look something like this?

http://atrampintheorganicgarden.blog...catfacing.html

(use http://preview.tinyurl.com/6el2mx if the above URL wraps)

It's catfacing. Read even more here (.pdf file; Adobe reader required):

http://www.avrdc.org/pdf/tomato/catfacing.pdf

You can likely blame all of your problems this year on the weather.

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 07:06:51 -0400, Pat Kiewicz
wrote:

Allan Matthews said:

I have a raised garden and always plant about 8 tomato plants (two of
each variety) always with good results.
This year I put in 8 plants (4 varieties). We had a lot of rain.
Two plants died when covered with green tomatoes and the rest all had
huge, distorted tomatoes on them. They all looked like about four or
five tomatoes grew together from one stem. Anybody know what causes
this problem. I like the idea of two pound tomatoes but these were
horribly shaped.

Did they look something like this?

http://atrampintheorganicgarden.blog...catfacing.html

(use http://preview.tinyurl.com/6el2mx if the above URL wraps)

It's catfacing. Read even more here (.pdf file; Adobe reader required):

http://www.avrdc.org/pdf/tomato/catfacing.pdf

You can likely blame all of your problems this year on the weather.

Yep, Thats what they are like, we had heavy rains here every day for
over two weeks and I think it was when they were starting to blossom.
Rough summer to remember things, garden was neglected, chemo for
prostate cancer treatment.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

http://atrampintheorganicgarden.blog...xtreme-tomato-

catfacing.html

(use http://preview.tinyurl.com/6el2mx if the above URL wraps)

It's catfacing. Read even more here (.pdf file; Adobe reader required):

http://www.avrdc.org/pdf/tomato/catfacing.pdf

You can likely blame all of your problems this year on the weather.

Yep, Thats what they are like, we had heavy rains here every day for
over two weeks and I think it was when they were starting to blossom.
Rough summer to remember things, garden was neglected, chemo for
prostate cancer treatment.

Allan, I hope it was all for the best.

After enlightenment, the laundry.