Old 20-09-2008, 05:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tomato Variety Q

In article ,
"Andrea McGrath" wrote:

Hello All,
I was was watching a cooking show this morning while pondering a seed
catalogue and they mentioned an Italian variety of tomato that they were
calling an ever lasting tomato. It looked bigger than a cherry tomato but
smaller than a regular tomato and I was hoping some one might have a clue as
to what variety of tomato this might be? The programme made it sound like
it was the sort of tomato I should be growing this summer D

What did they mean by "everlasting"?
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Old 20-09-2008, 06:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Andrea McGrath" wrote in message
u...

Hello All,
I was was watching a cooking show this morning while pondering a seed
catalogue and they mentioned an Italian variety of tomato that they were
calling an ever lasting tomato. It looked bigger than a cherry tomato but
smaller than a regular tomato and I was hoping some one might have a clue
as to what variety of tomato this might be? The programme made it sound
like it was the sort of tomato I should be growing this summer D

TIA
Andi

Try pomodori di Pachino

Old 21-09-2008, 04:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"gunner" wrote in message
access...

"Andrea McGrath" wrote in message
u...

Hello All,
I was was watching a cooking show this morning while pondering a seed
catalogue and they mentioned an Italian variety of tomato that they were
calling an ever lasting tomato. It looked bigger than a cherry tomato
but smaller than a regular tomato and I was hoping some one might have a
clue as to what variety of tomato this might be? The programme made it
sound like it was the sort of tomato I should be growing this summer D

TIA
Andi

Try pomodori di Pachino

Thanks Gunner,
I had a look at the di Pachino, but that wasn't it. Pomodori eterne, I
think it was called, but I haven't been able to find it so far.
The search goes on D
Andi

Old 21-09-2008, 07:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Andrea McGrath" wrote in message
u...

"gunner" wrote in message
access...

[...]

Good luck. I think it may be a nursery or sellers trade or brand name.
Pomodori eterne or eternal tomato doesn't show up in any searches or
catalogs I have looked through. If it is supposed to be Italian you could
ask some folks from there. It was not a name I ever heard when I lived
there (76-81). Guisi http://www.judithgreenwood.com/ over at
Rec.Food.Cooking is an ex-pat living in Umbria, and there is another Italian
named Vilco hanging there, you would have to search him out.

Old 22-09-2008, 11:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

gunner said:

"Andrea McGrath" wrote in message
. au...

I had a look at the di Pachino, but that wasn't it. Pomodori eterne, I
think it was called, but I haven't been able to find it so far.
The search goes on D
Andi

Good luck. I think it may be a nursery or sellers trade or brand name.
Pomodori eterne or eternal tomato doesn't show up in any searches or
catalogs I have looked through. If it is supposed to be Italian you could
ask some folks from there. It was not a name I ever heard when I lived
there (76-81). Guisi http://www.judithgreenwood.com/ over at
Rec.Food.Cooking is an ex-pat living in Umbria, and there is another Italian
named Vilco hanging there, you would have to search him out.

Just a thought, but I wonder if the 'eterne' is somehow a confusion of
'indeterminate.' An old Italian vining type rather than one of the more
modern determinate tomatoes usually grown for cooking.

The one other thing 'eternal tomato' brings to my mind is is the tropical
perennial 'tree tomato.'

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/m...ee_tomato.html

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Old 22-09-2008, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
gunner said:

Just a thought, but I wonder if the 'eterne' is somehow a confusion of
'indeterminate.' An old Italian vining type rather than one of the more
modern determinate tomatoes usually grown for cooking.

That was one my first thoughts but didn't get very far with any specific
name using that angle. From the limited description sounds like a Roma or
some such Plum varietial , maybe a Campari. Andi are you in AU/NZ?

Old 24-09-2008, 04:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

access...

gunner said:

Just a thought, but I wonder if the 'eterne' is somehow a confusion of
'indeterminate.' An old Italian vining type rather than one of the more
modern determinate tomatoes usually grown for cooking.

That was one my first thoughts but didn't get very far with any specific
name using that angle. From the limited description sounds like a Roma or
some such Plum varietial , maybe a Campari. Andi are you in AU/NZ?

Hi Gunner,
Yes, I'm in Australia, but the show I was watching was Rick Stein (English)
and he was in Puglia, Italy. On reflection I'm starting to wonder if the
'eterne' wasn't a reference to how the tomatoes were stored... but I don't
know. They were a little bigger than golf balls, round so not a plum
variety.
Thanks for giving this some thought. I live in a sub tropical area and we
can grow cherry tomatoes year round, but I've had no luck with bigger
varieties, so I thought these might be perfect for where I live.
Andi

Old 24-09-2008, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

gunner said:

"Andrea McGrath" wrote in message
.au...

snip for brevity

Just a thought, but I wonder if the 'eterne' is somehow a confusion of
'indeterminate.' An old Italian vining type rather than one of the more
modern determinate tomatoes usually grown for cooking.

The one other thing 'eternal tomato' brings to my mind is is the tropical
perennial 'tree tomato.'

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/m...ee_tomato.html

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Hi Pat,
They weren't tree tomatoes, the name 'eterne' was explained as
'everlasting'. It's possible it was just a regional name or it could well
be that it was the way they were stored.
Thanks,
Andi.