Old 06-10-2008, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default apple blossoms in October

I have two apple trees which were planted in my yard, one in front
other in back, by a friend. They usually bloom about the same time in
early spring, but in the two springs they have lived here, each has
had only a few blossoms. Now it is October and they are coming out
all over the place.

One is a, I think, Pink Lady and the other is a crabby. Freezes are
rare here around south Houston. Assuming they manage to pollenize (?)
each other, what might my chances be of seeing a few apples this
winter?
Old 12-10-2008, 07:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Mycosimian wrote:
I have two apple trees which were planted in my yard, one in front
other in back, by a friend. They usually bloom about the same time in
early spring, but in the two springs they have lived here, each has
had only a few blossoms. Now it is October and they are coming out
all over the place.

One is a, I think, Pink Lady and the other is a crabby. Freezes are
rare here around south Houston. Assuming they manage to pollenize (?)
each other, what might my chances be of seeing a few apples this
winter?

Most of my experience is with cold winters here in the Midwest. I
imagine that if you have no frosts to kill the blossoms and there are
insects around to pollinate them, you could get apples. It seems
strange that they did not produce more blossoms this spring, yet are
doing so now.

Sherwin
Old 12-10-2008, 08:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Sherwin wrote:

Mycosimian wrote:
[...]

Our planet is going whacko preparing for armageddon methinks.g

(JUST KIDDING!!!)
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Old 12-10-2008, 11:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

strange that they did not produce more blossoms this spring, yet are
doing so now.

Sherwin

During winter here, temps tend to get up into the 80's between cold
fronts. They don't seem to like having their beauty sleep
interrupted.
Old 14-10-2008, 01:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wil Wil is offline

Is this a good time to plant apples?

Old 18-10-2008, 06:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Wil wrote:
Is this a good time to plant apples?

Yes. Depends somewhat on what climate zone you are in. I would
wait for the tree to go dormant and/or drop all it's leaves. The
advantage of fall planting is that the lower ground takes longer to
freeze than the surface. This gives the tree some time to get it's
root structure going without the added strain of putting out top
growth as in the regular growing season. I would cover the tree around
the drip line with mulch, except near the trunk, to keep the ground
temperature more uniform. That winter sun can sometimes do damage
and you don't want the ground freezing and thawing alternately.

Sherwin

october apple Willi_9 Garden Photos 1 30-06-2016 08:57 AM
Apple Blossoms - Apple_8965.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 05-05-2010 09:20 AM
Apple Blossoms - Apple_8919.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 05-05-2010 09:19 AM
No apple blossoms on apple trees this year? Zootal[_4_] Gardening 12 12-05-2009 10:42 AM
Apple blossoms Gordie Garden Photos 3 25-10-2007 09:15 PM