GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fall plantings? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/179422-fall-plantings.html)

Wil 26-10-2008 03:43 PM

Fall plantings?

Hello again knowledgable prople of rec.gardens.edible. My first
attempt at gardenning was OK. I got about

3-4 cucumbers a week from 6 plants,
enough chilli peppers from 5 plants,
enough spring onions that I could use,
half the tomatoes I needed from 6 plants didn't get good yields,
about a third of what I need from my two basil plants,
more mint than I needed,
6 good ears of corn and 6 bad ears of corn from 6 stalks,
about a pound of string beams from 6 vines,
1 good watermelon from 4 plants.

Not good, but not too bad for a first timer I guess. I appreciate all
the help and advices I received here in rec.gardens.edible.

Fall is here in Northern VA near DC. What should I be planting veggie
wise at this time of year?

Thank you kindly,
Wil

Omelet[_4_] 26-10-2008 03:45 PM

Fall plantings?

In article
,
Wil wrote:

Fall is here in Northern VA near DC. What should I be planting veggie
wise at this time of year?

Thank you kindly,
Wil

Leafy greens. Spinach, chard, cabbage, etc.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

gonzo 28-10-2008 05:31 AM

Fall plantings?

You are looking for "cool season" crops; in addition to what Om said,
include: cold hardy lettuces, endive, arugula, claytonia, mache.

For my zone, this would all have had to be started back in mid-late
August to have anything worthwhile now to Dec.

If you have carrots already planted, mulch 'em and they are supposed
to not freeze (stay pull-able) and get tastier as the cold turns their
starches to sugar..

[email protected] 07-11-2008 04:20 AM

Fall plantings?

I'm thinking of trying a little container of carrots. Thanks for the
hot tip!

Wil 08-11-2008 06:44 AM

Fall plantings?

On Nov 6, 10:20*pm, wrote:
I'm thinking of trying a little container of carrots. Thanks for the
hot tip!

Thank you to all that responded. I've been busy so didn't get around
to the Fall planting yet. Maybe this weekend. Hope it isn't too
late. I think I'll put downs some lettuce and cabbage. Is it too
late to plant carrots? If not, I'll plant them too.

This Summer was my first try and this Fall will also be a first try at
Fall planting. Next year I'll be planting a little more than this
year.

Thank you all again for helping.

Wil