Old 01-11-2008, 08:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default I just went out to my garden to dig the onions

and they are all sprouted again. The freezing weather invigorated them.
What do I do now, just dig them and use them like "spring onions"?
(I'll have to dig them all before the ground freezes, but that's
probably weeks away)

Next year I'm gonna try onion *seeds* again. (These were sets.) And
I'll plant the seeds this fall just as the ground freezes so /they/ can
decide next spring when to come up instead of me deciding when to plant
and invariably being too late.

Bob

P.S. Do I dig my horseradish now, or leave it until early spring? I've
never grown it before.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

zxcvbob wrote:

Do I dig my horseradish now, or leave it until early spring?

As I understand, any time the plants are dormant is fine.

I've never grown it before.

Well, you're growing it forever now.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Yes that horseradish will be around for years. I had some in a garden on my
land across the road. Had to give up that big garden about 20 years ago.
Land was used for pigs, then a garden, now a lawn - owners never used the
horseradish - but its still there - popping up in their nice smooth lawn -
over and over - every year.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Old 02-11-2008, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"JonquilJan" wrote:

Yes that horseradish will be around for years. I had some in a garden on my
land across the road. Had to give up that big garden about 20 years ago.
Land was used for pigs, then a garden, now a lawn - owners never used the
horseradish - but its still there - popping up in their nice smooth lawn -
over and over - every year.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

That's why you are supposed to plant that stuff in a buried pot.

Cabbage worms finally managed to kill my potted one one year. :-(
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Old 02-11-2008, 02:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Nov 1, 12:51 pm, zxcvbob wrote:
and they are all sprouted again. The freezing weather invigorated them.
What do I do now, just dig them and use them like "spring onions"?
(I'll have to dig them all before the ground freezes, but that's
probably weeks away)

I've had sets in the garden for years. I just never got around to
using or watering them. I'm in Edmonton and the sets made it through
the winter without a problem. I liked the flowers.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

JonquilJan wrote:
Yes that horseradish will be around for years. I had some in a garden on my
land across the road. Had to give up that big garden about 20 years ago.
Land was used for pigs, then a garden, now a lawn - owners never used the
horseradish - but its still there - popping up in their nice smooth lawn -
over and over - every year.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

So, that brings a thought to mind... I'm trying to find a garden plant
that gophers won't destroy. Would horseradish be a good candidate, or is
this the meeting of the irresistible force and the immovable object?
Old 02-11-2008, 09:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

none ""Mark\"@(none)" wrote in message
t...
JonquilJan wrote:
Yes that horseradish will be around for years. I had some in a garden

on my
land across the road. Had to give up that big garden about 20 years

ago.
Land was used for pigs, then a garden, now a lawn - owners never used

the
horseradish - but its still there - popping up in their nice smooth

lawn -
over and over - every year.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

So, that brings a thought to mind... I'm trying to find a garden plant
that gophers won't destroy. Would horseradish be a good candidate, or is
this the meeting of the irresistible force and the immovable object?

Don't know about gophers - but the woodchucks never bothered the
horseradish. Actually they never bother much of anything in that garden.
Perhaps because the other side of the 'hedgerow' was a corn field??

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Is it just my bad gardening (planting my tomatoes out too late) orhas the weather just been awful for growing peppers and tomates furlow United Kingdom 16 02-09-2010 08:23 PM
Went out into the veg garden today alan.holmes United Kingdom 0 06-03-2010 11:25 PM
Went out to buy ... J Fortuna Orchids 3 22-08-2004 07:43 PM
My DIY car head lamp pond light finally went out ;-( matrix j Ponds 0 07-08-2004 11:18 PM
My DIY car head lamp pond light finally went out ;-( matrix j Ponds 0 07-08-2004 11:18 PM