GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Using insect netting on a raised bed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/179643-using-insect-netting-raised-bed.html)

Glen 07-11-2008 09:32 AM

Using insect netting on a raised bed

Does anyone know the best way to anchor insect netting over raised beds? The beds are wooden and surrounded by stone paths.

Second question I 'm going to build a wooden frame over them to support the netting - what height should I make the frames over and above the bed?

Thanks in advance.

gonzo 08-11-2008 02:03 PM

Using insect netting on a raised bed

Sounds like a lot of work to me.. Why not use some 1/2 inch pvc or
wire hoops, and just bury the edges in a few inches of soil at the
edge of your box? The material is secured by running cord over the
hoops. If you have high winds, roll the sides 2-3 times over a 2x4.

Generally you'll want the material to cover your crops but not be too
restrictive, so the height will depend on what you are growing. Maybe
12-18 inches for lettuce, much taller for broccoli.

My .02

FarmI 08-11-2008 10:07 PM

"Glen" wrote in message

Does anyone know the best way to anchor insect netting over raised beds?
The beds are wooden and surrounded by stone paths.

In a similar sort of set up (but with wood chip mulched paths) I keep my
bird netting and gauze curtains in place by using old boards/tomato
stakes/bricks to hold the covering in place.

Second question I 'm going to build a wooden frame over them to
support the netting - what height should I make the frames over and
above the bed?

It obviously depends on what is growing under the cover. If it's sweet corn
it'd have to be at least 6 ft tall.

I use 8 guarge fencing wire to hold mine up. I shove it into the ground and
it forms a natural hoop because of how it comes off the roll. I have
various leanths that when not in use are stuffed into the wire fence for
storage