GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   climbing apple tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/179645-climbing-apple-tree.html)

baypod 07-11-2008 04:50 PM

climbing apple tree

Dear All

So sorry but i am a complete novice wanting some expert knowledge.

My sister is asking for an apple tree like one i used to have for christmas.

It must be an eating apple, and she wants it to fan out along a wall like mine does, could you tell me the type that i would need to look for. Mine fans out quite tight against the wall.

Sje mentioned something called Escapellia, but i have never heard of this.

Thanks for your time

Cheryl

Steve Peek 07-11-2008 10:09 PM

climbing apple tree

--
baypod

If you are experienced in pruning apples you should pick her favorite eating
apple. The form you mention (espalier) is accomplished by pruning. It is
used for 2 purposes, most commonly to save space in a small garden or on a
south facing wall to help prevent a tender tree from freezing or frost
damage. I have seen espalier trees for sale at my local nursery, but it is
not common in my area and is quite expensive. Get a good book on pruning &
learn.
Hope this helps,
Steve