Old 10-11-2008, 07:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Pumpkin?

I posted this in rec.food.cooking. Later realized that I should have
crossposted it to r.g.e (and maybe r.f.p):

I grew green striped cushaws in my garden this year (a long-necked
pumpkin) and instead of getting a bunch of small pumpkins like I
planned, I got 2 or 3 small ones and two big ones. I just baked the
smaller of the big ones, then ran the cooked flesh thru a food mill. I
ended up with 8 cups of puree. It's yellow rather than orange, and my
dog says it tastes delicious (I gave him a piece of the cooked skin, and
let him lick the roaster.)

Now what? Do I need to put it in a cheesecloth bag and let it drip?

There's enough here for 4 pies, and the other big pumpkin weighs at
least 25 pounds (probably twice as big as this one.) What else do you
do with pumpkin besides make pies?

I know it freezes really well, so I plan on freezing it in 2-cup containers.

Bob
Old 10-11-2008, 11:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

zxcvbob said:

I grew green striped cushaws in my garden this year (a long-necked
pumpkin) and instead of getting a bunch of small pumpkins like I
planned, I got 2 or 3 small ones and two big ones. I just baked the
smaller of the big ones, then ran the cooked flesh thru a food mill. I
ended up with 8 cups of puree. It's yellow rather than orange, and my
dog says it tastes delicious (I gave him a piece of the cooked skin, and
let him lick the roaster.)

Now what? Do I need to put it in a cheesecloth bag and let it drip?

I like to blend the more watery squashes with drier flesh types, myself,
especially for making pumpkin pie. But for soups and cakes a more
moist puree is best.

There's enough here for 4 pies, and the other big pumpkin weighs at
least 25 pounds (probably twice as big as this one.) What else do you
do with pumpkin besides make pies?

Ooh, pumpkin (squash) soup is nice. Loads of recipes available. (I like
to season them with nutmeg and cayenne pepper.)

Pumpkin waffles (or pancakes) are great. Subtitute pumpkin puree for
some/most of the liquid ingredient in making the batter. Spice it up
with pumpkin pie spices. Especially good with whole grain flour blends.
(We mix barley, brown rice, oat, and soy or chick-pea flours with
unbleached and white whole wheat flour.) Most excellent with
home-made spiced apple jelly, which I'm in the midst of making right
now.

Then there are pumpkin muffins and breads.

And you can make ice cream, or pumpkin custard (think pies, without
the shells).

I know it freezes really well, so I plan on freezing it in 2-cup containers.

I like to freeze puree in quart zipper bags, a little more than half filled,
then flattened out to freeze. They stack up pretty nicely and defrost very
quickly.

Squashes can usually be stored a few months before you need to
process them. I do a lot of that in January. Right now I've got a
few dozen assorted 'pumpkins' (mostly kabocha with a few butternuts)
sitting on a counter in my utility room.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

After enlightenment, the laundry.

email valid but not regularly monitored

for better results:
change user name to 'kiewicz'
change domain name to 'comcast.net'

Old 10-11-2008, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I second the soup!

Also, if you go to the library and get an African cookbook, you might find
some interesting recipes. Or google for pumpkin pickles. I made some of
those for Thanksgiving one year. They were actually not bad, although
definitely odd. And it was fun to hear people burst into gales of laughter
when I told them what I was doing.

--

Visit
www.insectgraphics.com for all your insect gift needs

Old 11-11-2008, 11:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Nov 10, 1:43*am, zxcvbob wrote:
I posted this in rec.food.cooking. *Later realized that I should have
crossposted it to r.g.e (and maybe r.f.p):

I grew green striped cushaws in my garden this year (a long-necked
pumpkin) and instead of getting a bunch of small pumpkins like I
planned, I got 2 or 3 small ones and two big ones. *I just baked the
smaller of the big ones, then ran the cooked flesh thru a food mill. *I
ended up with 8 cups of puree. *It's yellow rather than orange, and my
dog says it tastes delicious (I gave him a piece of the cooked skin, and
let him lick the roaster.)

Now what? *Do I need to put it in a cheesecloth bag and let it drip?

I slice it up like French fry and fry it in olive oil.

identifying new pumpkin was re; pumpkin curry soup meee Australia 1 28-11-2005 03:14 AM
Not Yahho, Pumpkin Fertilisation & Bugs on Horehound., was A Terry Collins Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
taming a pumpkin plant Tom Elliott Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
More pumpkin advice Luke Australia 2 08-03-2003 07:45 AM
Pumpkin Advice Luke Australia 3 22-02-2003 09:34 PM