Old 16-11-2008, 02:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default String beans

I'm new to gardening. We live in a semi tropical zone and planted some
string beans early October. The 9 plants climbed the 2.5m poles we placed
and appeared to be doing fine when all of a sudden the leaves in the center
area of the plant have wilted and fallen off. The top of the plants are
doing OK and the bottom is doing better. There is no evidence I can see of
insect or disease. Temperatures have been 25 - 30 C and plenty of rain. We
purchased the soil for our little garden, perhaps we should fertilize?
Everything else, broccoli, carrot, garlic, lettuce, tomato and celery is
doing OK.
Any suggestions?
Thank You
Al

Old 16-11-2008, 04:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"alanr" wrote in message
I'm new to gardening. We live in a semi tropical zone and planted some
string beans early October. The 9 plants climbed the 2.5m poles we placed
and appeared to be doing fine when all of a sudden the leaves in the
center area of the plant have wilted and fallen off. The top of the plants
are doing OK and the bottom is doing better. There is no evidence I can
see of insect or disease. Temperatures have been 25 - 30 C and plenty of
rain. We purchased the soil for our little garden, perhaps we should
fertilize? Everything else, broccoli, carrot, garlic, lettuce, tomato and
celery is doing OK.
Any suggestions?
Thank You
Al

Hard to say without seeing the beans but my guess is it's a fungus. Under
your conditions there may be little that you can do about it.

David

Old 16-11-2008, 08:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"alanr" wrote in message
[...]

Add some sulphur to the soil.
--
Peace! Om

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." -- Dalai Lama
Old 16-11-2008, 03:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Hard to say without seeing the beans but my guess is it's a fungus. Under
your conditions there may be little that you can do about it.

David

Add some sulphur to the soil.

Are you going for a particular weight per surface area or a paricular pH
drop?
--

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars
Old 16-11-2008, 03:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Hmmm - fungus.. maybe a soap solution sprayed on? Nothing visible on the
stalks. I forgot to mention all 9 plants are doing it, they all started
within days of each other and the leaves are dropping where they attach at
the stalk. I will explore a fertilizer that has sulfur in it. We are trying
to be as chemical free in this project as possible. I just discovered, much
to my dismay, that lettuce actually has a flavor to it!
Thanks for the responses.
Al

"Omelet" wrote in message
news

Old 16-11-2008, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Hard to say without seeing the beans but my guess is it's a fungus.
Under
your conditions there may be little that you can do about it.

David

Add some sulphur to the soil.

Are you going for a particular weight per surface area or a paricular pH
drop?

pH drop. The local nursery sold me some soil sulphur when I had fungal
root rot in my English Ivy. It worked. I just followed package
directions, then followed up two weeks later with some soil flora powder.