Old 16-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Registered User

Default Need Acidic Soil for Blueberries

Im looking to turn my lawn more acidic in order to accomodate my apple trees to their full nutritional potential and also create a raised bed of more acidic soil for some blueberries. Various ph tests from around my garden show some parts as alkaline and others as borderline neutral with the barest of acidity.
I have read that apple trees prefer soil to be somewhat acidic, no less than ph 5.5, and that blueberries prefer between ph 4.5 and 5.5.

I have purchased some sulphate of iron and am looking for some advice.

How often with how much per square yard/meter should i apply? Could this particular sulphate have some adverse affects on my lawn, blueberry or apple tree roots?
I have also heard that it helps prevent certain fungus', diseases and weeds, which seems beneficial to my growing fruit garden.

Im from the North West .(Just incase it matters )
Thanks!
Old 21-11-2008, 12:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
PDM PDM is offline

"Chrisguk" wrote in message

Im looking to turn my lawn more acidic in order to accomodate my apple
trees to their full nutritional potential and also create a raised bed
of more acidic soil for some blueberries. Various ph tests from around
my garden show some parts as alkaline and others as borderline neutral
with the barest of acidity.
I have read that apple trees prefer soil to be somewhat acidic, no less
than ph 5.5, and that blueberries prefer between ph 4.5 and 5.5.

I have purchased some sulphate of iron and am looking for some advice.

How often with how much per square yard/meter should i apply? Could
this particular sulphate have some adverse affects on my lawn,
blueberry or apple tree roots?
I have also heard that it helps prevent certain fungus', diseases and
weeds, which seems beneficial to my growing fruit garden.

A lawn requires ph 6.0. So is not compatible with blueberries requirements.
It would be interesting to see the result of lowering the ph of grass.
Suspect would not do it any good.
PDM

Old 03-12-2008, 06:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Bob Gillespie" wrote in message
Does it help to spread all used coffee grounds around the blueberries (and
blackberries) if the soil is mostly sand?
Bob

Yes, blueberries need lots of organic matter as well as mulch. 90% of their
root system is in the top 10 inches of soil.
Steve (over 600 plants, 2 species, 11 varities)