Old 17-11-2008, 08:15 PM
gds gds is offline
Registered User

Default Care of cherry tree

We've a morello cherry that we planted in the ground in March/ April, which happily fruited earlier in the year. But I have no clue how to care for it.

It's probably a 2-3 yr old, I think. I pruned it after harvest. Now the frosts are starting (last night - light air frost) how should I protect it? It's sheltered but away from the house. Should I fleece it? If so, how (loosely? branches/ trunk/ ground? anyone any pictures?) I am pretty much as novice as can be with gardening.

And how about greasing? I read this somewhere but don't really know what to do.

We're in Norfolk, btw.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Old 18-11-2008, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

gds wrote:
We've a morello cherry that we planted in the ground in March/ April,
which happily fruited earlier in the year. But I have no clue how to
care for it.

It's probably a 2-3 yr old, I think. I pruned it after harvest. Now the
frosts are starting (last night - light air frost) how should I protect
it? It's sheltered but away from the house. Should I fleece it?

What's fleecing? I think a layer of cow manure followed by a thick
layer of compost should help keep the ground temperatures near the
tree more uniform. Don't put the compost right up to the trunk.
Also a plastic tree protector will help keep the critters from
munching on it over the winter and protect the trunk from the
strong winter sun. This advice probably holds for many varieties
and kinds of trees. Make sure you give the area around the tree a
good soaking before the ground freezes.

If so,
how (loosely? branches/ trunk/ ground? anyone any pictures?) I am
pretty much as novice as can be with gardening.

And how about greasing? I read this somewhere but don't really know
what to do.

Where do you come up with these terms? I only grease my car.

Sherwin

Old 18-11-2008, 09:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Hi All,
replly at the end.

"sherwin dubren" wrote in message
gds wrote:
[...]

A grease band is put round a tree trunk to stop caterpillars climbing up the
tree trunk to infect the blosom [ young fruit ]. All it is is apiece of
cloth smothered in grease and put round the tree trunk. hope this helps you.

Richard M. watkin.

Old 19-11-2008, 07:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

R M Watkin wrote:

A grease band is put round a tree trunk to stop caterpillars climbing up the
tree trunk to infect the blosom [ young fruit ]. All it is is apiece of
cloth smothered in grease and put round the tree trunk. hope this helps you.

Richard M. watkin.

We're in Norfolk, btw.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

I do similar things, but never knew it had a name. Actually, I use
something called Tanglefoot sold here in the USA. It is a clear gel
that is extremely sticky. I used it to keep ants from herding aphids
up my apple trees. Some people don't like the discoloring of the bark
so they first wrap the trunk with some material and coat that instead.

I guess by fleecing, you mean wraping it up. Unlike evergreens who
could be damaged by wind burn, I think the upper part of this cherry
tree can take this kind of weather.

Sherwin
Old 19-11-2008, 08:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Hi Sherwin,

R M Watkin wrote:

A grease band is put round a tree trunk to stop caterpillars climbing up
the tree trunk to infect the blosom [ young fruit ]. All it is is apiece
of cloth smothered in grease and put round the tree trunk. hope this
helps you.

Richard M. watkin.

We're in Norfolk, btw.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

I do similar things, but never knew it had a name. Actually, I use
something called Tanglefoot sold here in the USA. It is a clear gel
that is extremely sticky. I used it to keep ants from herding aphids
up my apple trees. Some people don't like the discoloring of the bark
so they first wrap the trunk with some material and coat that instead.

That is a greaseband, but in the U. K. it is made from scratch.

Richard M. Watkin.