Old 31-12-2008, 08:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Drying fresh rosemary

Would a food dehydrator do it? I'm actually interested in drying all of
my excess herbs (sage, thyme, parsley, chives, dill), but the rosemary
seems like it would be the most problematic due to the resin... TIA!
Old 01-01-2009, 02:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Shanghai McCoy wrote:

Would a food dehydrator do it? I'm actually interested in drying all of
my excess herbs (sage, thyme, parsley, chives, dill), but the rosemary
seems like it would be the most problematic due to the resin... TIA!

Yes, a dehydrator works. Rosemary dries just fine!
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Old 01-01-2009, 03:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

sometime in the recent past Omelet posted this:
In article ,
Shanghai McCoy wrote:

Would a food dehydrator do it? I'm actually interested in drying all of
my excess herbs (sage, thyme, parsley, chives, dill), but the rosemary
seems like it would be the most problematic due to the resin... TIA!

Yes, a dehydrator works. Rosemary dries just fine!

Or you could save the electricity and just put it in a brown paper back hung
in a dark spot for a few days. Works on all my herbs. The resin in Rosemary
actually makes it less likely to spoil this way, just never pack the bags
full and occasionally give the bag a little mixing.

JM2¢
--
Wilson N44º39" W67º12"
Old 01-01-2009, 09:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Janet Conroy wrote:

I'm wondering why you want to dry rosemary, or thyme and sage for that
matter. They are all extremely hardy and we prefer to pick them fresh
from outside through the winter, as needed.

Not everybody lives where these herbs are winter hardy, though I always
keep a couple of rosemary plants indoors in a south window, with lights
helping out.
You're reading this newsgroup through gardenbanter in the UK, but it's
really an international usenet group.

As for drying rosemary, just hang up a few branches and strip the leaves
when they're dry. Dead easy.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Gary Woods wrote:
Janet Conroy wrote:

I'm wondering why you want to dry rosemary, or thyme and sage for that
matter. They are all extremely hardy and we prefer to pick them fresh
from outside through the winter, as needed.

Not everybody lives where these herbs are winter hardy, though I always
keep a couple of rosemary plants indoors in a south window, with lights
helping out.
You're reading this newsgroup through gardenbanter in the UK, but it's
really an international usenet group.

As for drying rosemary, just hang up a few branches and strip the leaves
when they're dry. Dead easy.

I'm in North Florida, so winter temps aren't really an issue, but I'd
just like to trim the garden back - particularly the thyme and sage. The
rosemary bushes are looking a little yellow, and I want to save the good
branches...Thank you all for the suggestions!
Old 02-01-2009, 04:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Shanghai McCoy" wrote in message
Would a food dehydrator do it? I'm actually interested in drying all of my
excess herbs (sage, thyme, parsley, chives, dill), but the rosemary seems
like it would be the most problematic due to the resin... TIA!

Just hang a few stems up in a dry spot and that's it.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Registered User

[/i][/color]
They aren't hardy in my zone.

--
Wilson N44º39" W67º12"[/quote]

But you aren't the OP, so your comment is hardly relevant.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

sometime in the recent past Janet Conroy posted this:

They aren't hardy in my zone.

[/i][/color]
They aren't hardy in my zone.

-- Wilson N44? W67? But you aren't the OP, so your comment is hardly relevant.
-- Janet Conroy [/i][/color]

The way you managed to suggest to the OP who asked about drying herbs that
you didn't know why they didn't just 'keep growing outside' seemed to lack
'relevance' also, love. Coupled with the fact that you posted inside your
own quote the first time and inside my sig line the second time in this
thread alone makes it very hard to follow your thoughts, but I'll let that
go. Did it occur to you that most of the world might not know which zone the
OP lives in nor live in a temperate one like yourself? However, if I somehow
offended your sensibilities with my 'irrelevance,' do try to get over it,
won't you?

First time for everything.

--
Wilson N44º39" W67º12"